Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-137 Custom -- help ID & authenticate

AuraJay

Have an opportunity to obtain a pristine ES-137 Custom but am not familiar with this particular model. Please look at the pictures and see if you can help authenticate it and determine what year it was built. Also, what would be its value in as new condition with original case in as new condition. The guitar and case don't have a blemish anywhere.

post-74088-082888000 1442855076_thumb.jpg

post-74088-018338100 1442855091_thumb.jpg

Hi,

The best way to post photos is to create yourself a photo bucket account, then paste the IMG link here.

(look in Forum Feedback, there's a lengthy thread that has all the gory details)

From the photo you show of the interior. ,., this serial # would put it as a 2003. and a Purty one at that.

The only other pic you have, doesn't blow any whistles for me, but if you had photos of the head stock, upper neck, front and back would be of help. Also, if your suspicious (after the purchase,, which is never a good feeling) you could look under the truss rod cover and be sure that there exists the standard Gibson bolt, and not something like an Allen wrench socket, you could get real anal and pull the pups to make sure they are USA Gibbies as well.

if you want a good iea on the ball park value, log into your ebay account and do a search on "completed" auctions for ES-137s. (btw: you have to have an account to do a "completed" listings search)

you'd need to "view" a particular photo, and then you will see a series of links in the right side of the view window. Click the IMG link, and you will see "Copied"

then past that in the edit window

I think you have no worries with this one, it passes the stink test. it looks authentic.

It looks good from here.

1st and 5th numbers on serial# indicate 2003.

As for "value", keep in mind there is no such thing as "as new", for two reasons: the guitar has been played some (wear on gold on the bridge), and even IF the condition was perfect, there is still a difference in buying from an individual, and a dealer with warranty and all.

Not saying it isn't in great condition, cause it looks like it. Rather, something to bear in mind when looking up value in a Blue Book or completed listings or sale ads. "New", means literally from a dealer selling to the first buyer, and that price is always higher than the exact same guitar in the exact same condition sold 2nd hand.

you'd need to "view" a particular photo, and then you will see a series of links in the right side of the view window. Click the IMG link, and you will see "Copied"

Yeah, I am familiar with posting images and have been doing so for many years, but for some reason this site gave me an error message about the file extension, which is .jpg

As for "value", keep in mind there is no such thing as "as new", for two reasons: the guitar has been played some (wear on gold on the bridge), and even IF the condition was perfect, there is still a difference in buying from an individual, and a dealer with warranty and all.

Thanks for looking it over and for your vote of confirmation. The light in the pictures caused by the flash cast a shadowing that makes some of the hardware look worn, but it isn't. This guitar holds up under very close scrutiny and is literally "as new." I realize that is a term to be careful with using in the marketplace, but a new one out of the box wouldn't be any more unblemished. Even though I'm not familiar with blue book terminology, I would certainly feel good calling it excellent condition.

it's probably as close to mint as it gets,, nice for about about 13 year old guitar

I think these are great guitars. I don't have one, but I have it's predecessor, the ES135, (I think it's from 2000, they were soon after discontinued) I put a bigsby on it some years ago, One of the guitars that I have which I shall never sell.

nice score,

so,, how's it sound and play?

it's probably as close to mint as it gets,, nice for about about 13 year old guitar

I think these are great guitars. I don't have one, but I have it's predecessor, the ES135, (I think it's from 2000, they were soon after discontinued) I put a bigsby on it some years ago, One of the guitars that I have which I shall never sell.

nice score,

so,, how's it sound and play?

It plays as if I had it set up for myself and has the '57 Classics so it has that sweet, clear articulation thing going on. Sounds great clean but really comes alive with some overdrive. I haven't pulled the trigger on a deal yet because the owner hasn't set a price. Prices are all over the place so I want to nail it down to a ballpark before talking final pricing. Not positive I will buy it, but it is one sweet guitar, that much is for sure.

Archived