Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone FT-79 AN Insp.by TEXAN

Bandula

I am a newbee. A friend of mine gave me a Guitar Epiphone FT-79 AN Insp.by TEXAN as written in. I do not know much about Epiphone. Serial Number 1106170413. I checked it online and resulted as

Your guitar was made in

China

June 2011

Production Number: 0413

Can someone tell me the market value of the guitar?. it s in really good condition. sounds great as well to my ears.

many thanks

Re-sale is greatly affected by your location.

Also keep in mind that re-sale nulls the lifetime warranty.

I highly doubt you could get $399 since a brand new one can be had for that... I think realistically, you can get $250-300

btw... I personally would keep the Texan. These Indonesian made Epis are absolutely incredible.

The Texan is mostly solid wood construction except the sides and it has built in electronics. I would think it sounds better than the Ibanez and probably looks more attractive, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If the Texan is in good condition and plays better, keep it. I had one for awhile and I liked it, but I love my Masterbilt.

The Texan is mostly solid wood construction except the sides and it has built in electronics. I would think it sounds better than the Ibanez and probably looks more attractive, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If the Texan is in good condition and plays better, keep it. I had one for awhile and I liked it, but I love my Masterbilt.

In my view, the Texan is the single best sub-$500 acoustic on the market.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After test-playing my new Texan for, say, about a month, I decided to treat her to a professional setup, complete with a new quality-bone nut and saddle. Using that opportunity, I will also be testing the Gibson Masterbuilt strings on her, starting with the .012 gauge. While I prefer guitars with a smaller neck radius and narrower nut, the Texan is well worth the upgrade for her sound alone.

• 4 weeks later...

After test-playing my new Texan for, say, about a month, I decided to treat her to a professional setup, complete with a new quality-bone nut and saddle. Using that opportunity, I will also be testing the Gibson Masterbuilt strings on her, starting with the .012 gauge. While I prefer guitars with a smaller neck radius and narrower nut, the Texan is well worth the upgrade for her sound alone.

Hi Leanard.I wanted to ask you why you wanted to replace the bone nut and saddle. I do acoustic reviews on YouTube and have reviewed and own many Epiphones. I always do extensive research when reviewing or purchasing an acoustic guitar. The 1962 Inspired by Texan comes with a bone nut and saddle only the bridge pins are plastic. If you would like to check out my reviews my channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxHNunlzIb3jwi4tRq4qQAw I have just recently done an upgrade on a Texan you might like to check out as an owner. Thanks

Hi Leanard.I wanted to ask you why you wanted to replace the bone nut and saddle. I do acoustic reviews on YouTube and have reviewed and own many Epiphones. I always do extensive research when reviewing or purchasing an acoustic guitar. The 1962 Inspired by Texan comes with a bone nut and saddle only the bridge pins are plastic. If you would like to check out my reviews my channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxHNunlzIb3jwi4tRq4qQAw I have just recently done an upgrade on a Texan you might like to check out as an owner. Thanks

The nut and saddle of the Texan seem to be either bone or -- as is the case with the SJ-200SCE and my secret suspicion -- imitation bone. To be fair though, my luthier filed down the nut quite a bit to find out, and it smelled to him like bone would.

Anyway, the original nut of my left-handed Texan is currently being handcrafted anew by my luthier. The reason for that is that Epiphone used a standard, right-handed nut on this left-handed guitar: they just glued over the string slots and tried to reshape them for lefthand use. As you can imagine, that didn't work out so well: the action of the bass strings at the first fret is so low that with properly adjusted truss rod and even with .013 strings (which she came with) the open low E string buzzes strongly when picked; whereas the action of the treble strings, especially the high E string, is too high, making barré chords extremely difficult to play at the first couple of frets even for me who is relatively tolerant of that.

I'd like to mention, though, that all this isn't out of the ordinary for a lefty. From my experience, the production runs in general for lefthand acoustic guitars are often subpar to their righthand counterpart, not only in this case with Epiphone. Fortunately the rest of the guitar, including the saddle, is in top shape and I'm more than happy with her overall. I can't wait to get her back from my luthier.

Archived