Gibson Brands Forums

J-100 Walnut

Tman

Also posted this in the lounge. Just sold some equipment including my Gold Top LP and an amp and got this.

I got the call and went to Instrumental Music. John, rocker turned music store proprietor brought it out. I have his permission to post.

072d56ea-c638-400a-b6e6-2f28e1682b93_zpszieokbtv.jpg

Stunning. Photos won't do it justice.

71c3881c-df20-4138-a8ed-6c7c4d56c8d6_zps0uzkykvb.jpg

Look at the figuring! Looks like 3D quilted walnut that forms a diamond (no hallucinogens on board I promise!).

2f6c2722-b3d1-41b0-8c93-0e6f688e89d5_zpscjn0zqth.jpg

Yours truly, a happy man! Plays like a dream. More and tighter low end than the J-200 and also neck just a touch slimmer - perfect!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!!! Love my maple J100, but that walnut is elegantly understated, and I would love to hear some samples.

No help now for you except to commence with writing...that thing might be pre-loaded with songs. 😉

Congrats!

Some back ! Sounds like this fit the bill nicely. Now, put some mileage on that baby ! [thumbup]

Baby's got back alright!

Wow!!! Love my maple J100, but that walnut is elegantly understated, and I would love to hear some samples.

No help now for you except to commence with writing...that thing might be pre-loaded with songs. 😉

Congrats!

You know I did feel an unusual force of inspiration just playing it the first time [biggrin]

I'll record a few samples. That will be fun. I am in love.

Would like to give this Jumbo a go - walnut shouldn't be underrated.

I played a few walnut back'n'sides and without being able to really identify or yet characterize the nature of this wood, they simply sounded good.

To bend it into 200 shape seems like a splendid idea.

Yes after really being impressed by a J-15 I played I'd love to try one of these...I want one!J-100's of any persuasion are not so common down here.And our Aussie dollar has devalued somewhat over the past couple of years...making these beautiful Gibson's pretty expensive for the average working jack.

Really phenomenal guitar. Gibson has stepped up the game. Visually beautiful honey burst and it is an amazing walnut quilt on the sides. I'll take some better photos in the more diffuse light without reflections this weekend.

It has fantastic sustain and bass response and mids that are great while still reminiscent of a maple SJ in the highs (I sound like I know what I'm talking about).

I read a quote from a luthier, " Claro Walnut for the eye, Black Walnut for the sound." Well I think think that's wrong. Claro for both. Maybe something to do with the drought stressing the wood resulting in a density change?

And this is the first day, not even close to breaking it in.

Can you tell I am excited?

Like I said in the O.P. WOW.

e82dc3a7-a44f-4b28-a904-e1ebf2f98ba7_zpsem4ghpo3.jpg

Yes it's a California Weiss Wein.

Nice, congrats .

"Tighter low end than an SJ-200" ? This I would like to hear. The maple, the scale length and box size help in allowing the big '200's to develop such clear bass. But surprisingly not as loud as one would think. Fine by me.

Love the burst, and the outlined pickguard. Looks like someone spilled some Granadillo on the fret board.

Enjoy your NGD weekend.

..And you're gonna need a bigger wine glass.

Like abalone and MOP inlays were not enough, Gibson has to put some diamonds on the back of their jumbos. [woot]

I'm in love [wub] at least for the insane wood figures and the nice burst. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Missing a picture of the woody head though. It seems very nice and changes from the black head i'm used to.

Yay, finally someone has one! Now we just need to hear it! You could be the first person on YouTube with one :)

I have always wanted a sunburst SJ-200, so for me, ever since I saw this one (and realized how great walnut is), it's been a constant A/B in my head. I do plan to get one or the other eventually... but not both.

What was interesting to me was the comment about there being more bass but it being tighter.

I would really like to A/B an SJ-100 walnut and an SJ-200 but don't think I'll ever get the chance!

Nice, congrats .

"Tighter low end than an SJ-200" ? This I would like to hear.

..And you're gonna need a bigger wine glass.

[biggrin]

I'm going to do a comparison, keeping the variables to a minimum between this and an SJ-200, hopefully tomorrow evening. I'd been through the glass of wine when I wrote the description (and did the interpretation) so there you have it. Let's hope my description of the sonic characteristics is somewhat close to actual reality, probably not. There is a clear difference. Both guitars sustain until tomorrow and the SJ-200 is a 1997, so well worn in but the sound is just a bit thinner, if that is a legitimate description, than this walnut.

The headstock is gorgeous. Only differences that I can tell as far as real expensive looking vs not so is the lack of binding on the neck and of course the lack of maple flame on the mahogany.

[biggrin]

I'm going to do a comparison, keeping the variables to a minimum between this and an SJ-200, hopefully tomorrow evening. I'd been through the glass of wine when I wrote the description (and did the interpretation) so there you have it. Let's hope my description of the sonic characteristics is somewhat close to actual reality, probably not. There is a clear difference. Both guitars sustain until tomorrow and the SJ-200 is a 1997, so well worn in but the sound is just a bit thinner, if that is a legitimate description, than this walnut.

The headstock is gorgeous. Only differences that I can tell as far as real expensive looking vs not so is the lack of binding on the neck and of course the lack of maple flame on the mahogany.

You are my hero!!! And you've beaten all the fancy outlets to the punch, so kudos on that.

I wonder if the pickguard factors into the price difference? I suppose it probably does not actually. It shouldn't. So yeah, the price difference (at least to Gibson, if not to the consumer) should be the wood, the binding and the fretboard inlay.

Both guitars look like a million bucks for different reasons. It's just tough for me because I've wanted an SJ-200 for 15 years, and it is such a classic tonally and appearance-wise, but I suspect I might prefer the tone of the walnut SJ-100. Sort of like saying I'd prefer to win the $100,000,000 lottery instead of the $99,000,000 lottery I guess, but still... A/B is rough when you can't just go to a store and play them both yourself, and unless I can make another trip to Montana, I don't think it would happen.

PS, make it a nice, long comparison please, because I am going to end up obsessively watching it over and over. :) If wine helps, I will buy you a (er, really cheap) bottle.

I think if the Walnut comes out ahead (for me personally), that will really be saying something and quite convincing, because an aged SJ-200 is indeed a glorious thing. 1997 was almost 20 years ago, so I bet it's fantastic.

I will do my best to do a decent comparison. I know I always love looking at those things before I buy and I can't stand BS ones so I will try to stay in a BS free zone (BSFZ).

Phillip

You will be my hero regardless. I've waited ages to hear one of these and hear an owner's impressions. You could write a novel about it and I'd probably read it. ha!

Well I did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuXeNZaZDWU

Turn down the volume though. You are forewarned. A little too much optimization I guess.

Compared a 1997 Gibson J-200 Maple with a 2016 Gibson J-100 Walnut. I kept all variables the same except that the J-200 was recorded in the middle of a perigee full moon lunar eclipse and the J-100 was recorded later, in the last half. I think that may have affected the tone - you decide.

I tried to vary it a bit by just plucking open strings with the side of my thumb then some finger picking and some strumming. The only other difference was that the J-200 has an L.R. Baggs element pickup and the 100 has an L.R. Bags Anthem pickup.

Input levels were the same, all equalization was the same. A big difference is that the J-200 is broken in and has been played a lot. The J-100 is brand new.

I think my B string was a bit flat on both. My brother tells me my finger picking technique is all wrong because I exclude my index finger. Been doing it that way for years. I maintain that the index finger is like the appendix, you don't really need it.

Look at the walnut through the sound hole in the second part. Looks like dark chocolate. delicious.

Enjoy.

Archived