Gibson Brands Forums

Fishman Aura Spectrum DI

Run

Hi, I own three acoustics (Gibson SW, Martin DX1E, and a 12 strings Takamine) all with undersaddle pickups. All three are amplified on a 120 W acoustic Traynor amp and sometimes with a Korg AX1 and PA. I read about the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. This pedal is not cheap and I'd like to know from those who are using it if this worth the investment.

Thanks for your replies.

I lke mine, but I have had Aura pedals since they first came out and I reckon a new model must be well overdue!

Sensational with undersaddle pickups!

My pet peeve is that it has a readout for the tuner, but none for the image you picked. After downloading images to the user image area, you don't know if it worked or not - could be the same ones you had before. Small grumble among many positives.

It is the 'sound of a guitar mic'd' they say, which gives THEM leeway for it not being as exact as they say....

But.......just running your undersaddle pickup into the Aura and using minimum image in the blend and voila...quackies are gone and you have a beautiful live sound, if not the sound you hear playing alone at home.

Highly recommended.

BluesKing777.

EuroAussie is an expert at getting a good tone with the Aura!

For me personally, I find that unless I can turn the Aura image all the way up, I still hear piezo. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to do that, though? I have seen Chris Cornell use it live, turned up to 100%, and it sounds great--Steve Earle does the same. But in the shop, they told me 50-60% is best. And I said, but I can still hear piezo, and that was that... Got a Lyric instead. Sounded great at 100% for what it's worth.

I have my third gig tonight, the second one that I am using this Spectum. It's great, especially with my Gibson J45. I loaded up all these J45 and J50 images, recorded with different mics, and I blend them 40% image, and 60% my Gibsons pickup. It's a great pedal. I bought mine used... Near mint... For $200

Anyways, out I go. Maybe someone takes a video of a song (maybe a sister of mine), and if so I will post it.

Good luck. Errrrrr and wish me luck. :)

I have my third gig tonight, the second one that I am using this Spectum. It's great, especially with my Gibson J45. I loaded up all these J45 and J50 images, recorded with different mics, and I blend them 40% image, and 60% my Gibsons pickup. It's a great pedal. I bought mine used... Near mint... For $200

Anyways, out I go. Maybe someone takes a video of a song (maybe a sister of mine), and if so I will post it.

Good luck. Errrrrr and wish me luck. :)

Good luck on the gig, though you are probably already there by now!

Getting the right image downloaded is just peachy, like the J45, but they don't have a lot of pop guitars and no vintage ones, so then you use a generic image from a list you print out. As far as I can see, the image library hasn't been updated since 2011. If anyone knows a way to update the updates, let me know.

If you tour and play a lot and only take one guitar, the most brilliant thing to have would be an Aura loaded guitar. I think Gibson has given up on them, but Martin has the Retro Series range. Jump on stage, plug in to the PA and worry about other things like getting paid etc, instead of wires, leads, gadgets, boxes, connectors........but the batteries need changing every night. Box of expensive 9 volts in your bag or a system of rechargables going - two charging while you are playing? Like I do with my camera! There is always a catch!

Or just take your plain old guitar and see what happens with the PA......

BluesKing777.

I have read people tell me here, and other forums, to just use a soundhole pickup or undersaddle pickup with a Fishman Platinum EQ DI, which has no Aura images but similar controls. The Baggs Para is the same kind of box.

I have the older Platinum, so I went through boxes looking for it. Found it but had it hooked up in a pedalboard for power and I can't fnd the power lead that I bought with the Fishman. Put a 9 volt in it and fired it up with 2 guitars - one with my Fishman Neo-D soundhole pickup and one with my Fishman Blackstack soundhole pickup.

Dunno. [mellow]

I remember why it is in a box now - it is ok for gain and eq controls but the sound is sort of that electric half baked thing. I would rather grab my Gibson ES125 with the P90 and plug in my Mesa B, even for fingerpicking.

I prefer the Fishman Aura sound...... [biggrin]

Back in the box that thing can go unless I can incorporate it somewhere in my gadgetry..

BluesKing777.

Yeah, as most know Im an Aura DI fan, very happy with results with the box, going on 5 years of usage now.

However I never go more than 35% of the Aura blend, any more and it sounds processed and unauthentic.

There is no need to go over 30% really, at that lovel 90% of the quack will be removed.

I used this pedal last night. I used a J50 image 40% blended with the Gibson J45s Baggs VTC. Between the VTC tone control and this pedal, I think the plugged in sound is stunning. We played for four hours, and after the Allman Brother's Melissa, one guy came up to the stage, shook my hand, asked me what guitar I was playing, and said the sound was the best sound he has ever heard in this bar. I felt real good :)

Big thumbs up for this Fishman Spectrum Aura.

Oh yeah... my buddy's sound is still a little distorted, although our volumes are on par. He has huge bass. It's a Martin DCPA with a Fishman Analog, which I think is...hmmmm... sub-optimal. Another thread though - I dont want to divert this one.

I used this pedal last night. I used a J50 image 40% blended with the Gibson J45s Baggs VTC. Between the VTC tone control and this pedal, I think the plugged in sound is stunning. We played for four hours, and after the Allman Brother's Melissa, one guy came up to the stage, shook my hand, asked me what guitar I was playing, and said the sound was the best sound he has ever heard in this bar. I felt real good :)

Big thumbs up for this Fishman Spectrum Aura.

Oh yeah... my buddy's sound is still a little distorted, although our volumes are on par. He has huge bass. It's a Martin DCPA with a Fishman Analog, which I think is...hmmmm... sub-optimal. Another thread though - I dont want to divert this one.

When I first bought my earlier model Aura, a dread only model, I had a similar thing where a guy came up flapping about my sound! Better than the previous 'can't hear you much' comments, especially when you are playing solo! [mellow] i had a SM57, which had a fabulous sound for National steels live, but no level at all - the mic really is designed for very loud instruments and amps. I know now that I needed a boost type clean pre-amp, but...too late....

So your mate needs some help then - his journey ahead, but if he gets the same as you it may all sound a bit 'samey'.

When playing on my own, I just turned my volume control back if I started feedbacking, so I never really used the feedback busting feature. I imagine you will, Sal, if you are competing a bit with a very loud guitarist? Very handy, have you tried it yet?

BluesKing777.

When I first bought my earlier model Aura, a dread only model, I had a similar thing where a guy came up flapping about my sound! Better than the previous 'can't hear you much' comments, especially when you are playing solo! [mellow] i had a SM57, which had a fabulous sound for National steels live, but no level at all - the mic really is designed for very loud instruments and amps. I know now that I needed a boost type clean pre-amp, but...too late....

So your mate needs some help then - his journey ahead, but if he gets the same as you it may all sound a bit 'samey'.

When playing on my own, I just turned my volume control back if I started feedbacking, so I never really used the feedback busting feature. I imagine you will, Sal, if you are competing a bit with a very loud guitarist? Very handy, have you tried it yet?

BluesKing777.

Neither her nor there, but if the SM57 (I use the SM58 because I haven't bought a 57 yet!) doesn't cut it, they make a Beta 57A or something like that (and a Beta 58A), which is uhhh like super-cardiod instead of cardiod? But what's relevant here is that it has a 4db boost on it, so I guess you're not the only one to ever think the SM57 was too quiet! The 58 is a little quiet, too. I always feel like I have to "eat it" when singing into it... and then I get the plosive pops too (I remember the first time I ever played live, holy moly did I get the plosive pops that time and I ain't even talking about the microphone).

The other difference is that the 57's blind spot is directly behind it (for putting the monitor directly in front of the person), and the Beta 57A has it back and to the sides instead of directly behind it...

I've always just used whatever mics are on-stage and been lucky, even been lucky enough to have people wander over and adjust my levels for me, ha! Only my dad complained when I said, Dad, I need more guitar. "You damn kids!"

I have the Spectrum DI Aura pedal.

My experience is after I downloaded the 5 Gibson SWD images the one that delivers the best stage sound for me is the Neumann

U87 image.

with the Aura pedal set at about 40% along with the Fishman Prefix Plus T system in my SWD I am very happy with it's pure natural acoustic tone.

With a bit of stereo chorus mixed in and the SWD through the Spectrum first then through an Avalon preamp then to the board. Takes a few minutes at sound check to get it perfect but that rig get's the job done night after night !

I love the Spectrum.

I have had a few days just playing acoustically to give brain a rest - and it would have to be a 100 sensor point pckup or something not invented yet to catch the sounds that come from all parts of an acoustic.

My Martin 000c-15e came with Prefix Plus like Lucille64's Gibson. It goes very well with the Aura Spectrum, like the Gibsons with Baggs Elements do too. The simpler the pickup, the better Aura image - the Baggs with body sensors confuse everything.

For my guitars I don't want to drill, I bought a Fishman Neo-D Humbucking Soundhole pickup and get a great sound with the Aura, but more electric than the Undersaddles. It is currently residing in my OM18v which I have some great Aura images for, but it is the easiest pickup to swap guitars and will use that on my vintage acoustics to experiment. I also bought a Fishman Blackstack which is too thick to insert in the soundhole without loosening strings and is more the type of pickup to run direct to a tube amp. Both these have the leads dangling out the front.

I would like to own one of the Retro Martins with inbuilt Aura but I am unsure of the controls and holes in the side of the guitar, like Sal mentioned, but the Aura Plus in those guitars is not able to be fitted after market, so the only way to have the sound is to own the guitar. Trying to think of a spot I could put another guitar.... Might have to take one for the team to experiment with the sounds seeing as nobody else has a Retro....... would be good if Gibson put an Aura Plus in a .........gulp....toasted top J45 ot HummingB

BluesKing777.

How about one of the older Gibsons with the Fishman Ellipse Aura? Has to be the same tech still, right? Seems like they've been using the same Aura tech since 2008 or so.

They have streamlined the units a lot since those! Big clunky things!

I imagine the electronics have changed too, if not the images.

I want a NEW one - there, I said it!

Oh Oh!

BluesKing777.

What got me fired up originally after years of acoustika only?

When I saw the release of the new Martin 00-15e Retro on (Summer?) NAMM reports. My older 000c-15e all mahogany has punched way above its weight and the new one is the same kind of thing....except with Aura Plus. Those other Retro models have been around a few years and get rave reviews.

Here is a nice in-depth review from Peghead Nation:

https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/new-gear/martin-00-15e-retro/

Get behind me in the line!!!! Though my old 0-17 with the pickup in the soundhole and the lead dangling is a good thing....

BluesKing777.

What got me fired up originally after years of acoustika only?

When I saw the release of the new Martin 00-15e Retro on (Summer?) NAMM reports. My older 000c-15e all mahogany has punched way above its weight and the new one is the same kind of thing....except with Aura Plus. Those other Retro models have been around a few years and get rave reviews.

Here is a nice in-depth review from Peghead Nation:

https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/new-gear/martin-00-15e-retro/

Get behind me in the line!!!! Though my old 0-17 with the pickup in the soundhole and the lead dangling is a good thing....

BluesKing777.

EDIT:

After viewing a few videos of the 00-15e Retro guitar, I came across a chap playing slide on one, apologies can't tell you where.....so I was inspired to drag out my abovementioned 1944 Martin 0-17, add the Fishman Neo-D pickup to the soundhole, plug in to the Aura Spec, find a image for mahogany top and b\s (Concert # 11), retune the guitar to Open D, grab my wonderful Diamond Bottleneck Blue Diamond slide and ....phew...sensational!!! The action is a little low for slide or I would do it more often, plus I have dedicated slide guitars aplenty....(neck reset needed, that means!!! [mellow] )....

The 2 high strings are a frack loud as in electrified acoustic, but I am getting a bit of Elmo!!!!! I can work with it...

Turned out a late night [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Another small, small, small complaint from multi guitar owners - there are no patches for Nationa Steels or Old Gibson archtops.....there is a 'Sheerhorn' Dobro patch for woody body Dobros.

I use that with the blend at minimum for my Nats/Dobro which have pickups, and the the old archtop goes through the J45 again with minimum blend.

i wonder what the next version will be?

BluesKing777.

Well, it apears that since the Aura came out in the mid 2004s ???, there have been a huge amount of sales - me, EA, a used one to Sal and a couple of maybes..... [mellow] <_< [biggrin]

Well I know I go on a bit, but I like it. I was playing my Fishman equipped metal Dobro just before and I love the sound I get by plugging in to the Aura with Sheerhorn Dobro setting, then into my TC Helicon Play Acoustic with my Shure SM58 for vocals. Getting a great sound that, in theory, should be achievable live by running 2 leads for stereo to a PA.

I use to play everywhere with my Dobro years ago and had a good sound like now possibly once, possibly never! At one stage I had an Ibanez rubbish mic on the Dobro - could have cried and given up right there, but no! 400 years later I get a little black box or 2 with the ability to set a sound ahead of a gig, say...and rehearse for weeks with that sound.....and then turn up, plug it all in and it comes out the front of a PA sounding like I rehearse??? Can't be?

A bit of full circle because my Dobro is a great, great guitar and used to be really hard to get a sound in the monitors though I was always told it sounded good out the front! Impossible to play normally like that though!

BluesKing777.

Hi, I own three acoustics (Gibson SW, Martin DX1E, and a 12 strings Takamine) all with undersaddle pickups. All three are amplified on a 120 W acoustic Traynor amp and sometimes with a Korg AX1 and PA. I read about the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. This pedal is not cheap and I'd like to know from those who are using it if this worth the investment.

Thanks for your replies.

I've been use the Fishman Spectra DI since it came out. It's worth every penny imo.

It's gone up 30 bucks or so over the years.

I have my fav mics on it and will blend to taste. I usually plug into a Fishman Solo amp (now known as the SA 220). The compressor is nice when you are pushing things, and the anti feedback works like a charm.

1443959322[/url]' post='1699230']

I've been use the Fishman Spectra DI since it came out. It's worth every penny imo.

It's gone up 30 bucks or so over the years.

I have my fav mics on it and will blend to taste. I usually plug into a Fishman Solo amp (now known as the SA 220). The compressor is nice when you are pushing things, and the anti feedback works like a charm.

Mike has my current setup. Guitar ==> Spectrum ==> SA220

That's awesome... fish stick!

Bought it about a month back... Got rid of some old amps in the process. I like it a lot BBG. Very easy portable amp with great even sound.

Guess I'll join the club and say that I am very happy with my Spectrum Aura DI. I got it for my J45 Standard. I really wasn't a fan of the LR Baggs Element under-saddle pickup that came stock with the guitar, but didn't want to deal with messing with removing it and installing/trying out other pickups that may, or may not have been to my liking. I figured the Aura Spectrum DI would run me about the same as, or close to what ti would cost me to buy and and have a shop remove the old, and install the new pickup, so I took a chance on it. So far I've been very pleased, but haven't played out with it much, but it does deliver as promised through an amp and the sound is fantastic and totally blows away the straight UST sound without a doubt. As an added bonus it also works great for recording. I don't have to worry about spending time mic'ing the guitar, just plug and play, and there's no extraneous noises that are picked up like a creaky chair, street noise, etc. that I'd potentially get if I was using a mic when recording. So far I have no regrets about buying the DI instead of buying a new pickup for the guitar. The other added bonus to the DI is I can use it on other guitars.

Archived