Gibson Brands Forums

P-90s or 400 series?? A little advice needed.

Angus Moe

Hello. I am new to the boards and currently saving for my first SG. If I buy the new 2016 Standard, which pickups should I choose, the single coil P-90, or the 400 series humbuckers?

As you can tell from my screen name, I'm looking for my "Angus" guitar, as I like to play AC/DC and other classic rock.

Any help or advice on the pickups is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello. I am new to the boards and currently saving for my first SG. If I buy the new 2016 Standard, which pickups should I choose, the single coil P-90, or the 400 series humbuckers?

As you can tell from my screen name, I'm looking for my "Angus" guitar, as I like to play AC/DC and other classic rock.

Any help or advice on the pickups is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi Angus Moe, welcome to the forum [thumbup]

I too am a fan of Angus Young's playing, and the attraction of the SG.

Have you thought about putting a Gibson Angus Young Signature model pickup in your SG?

I've got one (bridge position) in my SG. It's a great versatile pickup. For the AC/DC tone, humbuckers are the way to go.

Don't forget to post a photo of your SG when you get it. We love eye candy here :)

kind regards, Emma :)

the P90s are the bomb, but the are not going to take you down "Angus Ally"

you want the humbuckers for sure

I have two Gibbys with those PUPS (LP and SG Stnd) they are really quite versatile pups

I also have a 2005 SG Classic with Gibson P90s, awesomeness...

How about trying to sound like YOU! You can get close, with almost any guitar, and amp, provided you

listen carefully enough, and use the volume and tone controls, on both, to arrive there. And, remember

that all recordings are highly processed! Most of Angus' tone, is in his technique, as is true with most

other players. Appreciate what they do, for sure, but get past trying to sound like them. Be original...

Sound like YOU! [biggrin]

CB

My personal favorite Gibson pickup is the '57 Classic, then Gibson P90's. Never tried the 400 series pickups, but the opinions I've heard from others were less than favorable, and aI am thankful they put '57 Classics in my 2013 Standard. I have yet to find a humbucker I like more than the '57 Classic. The stock Gibson P90's in my SG Classic are actually 'hotter' than the 57 Classics in my 2013 SG Standard. The '57 Classics have the best balance between clarity, fullness and overdrive in my opinion; the perfect hum bucker for me, and can easily nail the "Angus" tone for sure, but with that said, I can get a decent AC/DC sound from a RAT Pedal and a single coil in a Telecaster, so I think it's more about the sum of the parts so to speak, instead of just one part of the equation. The Gibson P90's are full of bite, attitude and grit for sure and definitely have their place. Guessing none of this helps you though, and best of luck in your decision.

How about trying to sound like YOU! You can get close, with almost any guitar, and amp, provided you

listen carefully enough, and use the volume and tone controls, on both, to arrive there. And, remember

that all recordings are highly processed! Most of Angus' tone, is in his technique, as is true with most

other players. Appreciate what they do, for sure, but get past trying to sound like them. Be original...

Sound like YOU! [biggrin]

CB

Good advice... I hope to become good enough to sound like myself someday. But right now, trying to play AC/DC helps me enjoy practice, and inspires me to get better.

Thanks for all the great advice and information!

Archived