Gibson Brands Forums

What's your opinion on the new Gibson Flying V that's coming out in the 2016 range?

benjaminisaacs

My summary...

Good:

2. Awesome look; it's about time they had it with binding on the neck, at the very least. Body binding is a plus.
  3. No pickguard look is pretty killer too; especially on the red finish [thumbup]
  4. Controls and layout nicely done.

Bad:

•  
  • Smaller size; while it probably has benefits; I can't see the added value in decreasing size.
  • No hardcase; given said smaller size, without a made-to-proper size case from Gibson themselves; finding an aftermarket case that doesn't have the guitar moving about inside is going to be challenging...
  • Would have been nice to see a white/vintage white finish, and maybe some others not common to a 'V; new model could surely usher in some new finish ideas? Even if it's not worth it due to smaller popularity...blah blah...
  • Would have preferred a lower-outpick pickup stage, personally; I lean towards vintage voiced more than high gain; just my preference, though.

Moan over [biggrin]

My summary...

Good:

2. Awesome look; it's about time they had it with binding on the neck, at the very least. Body binding is a plus.
  3. No pickguard look is pretty killer too; especially on the red finish [thumbup]

Bad:

•  
  • Smaller size; while it probably has benefits; I can't see the added value in decreasing size.
  • No hardcase; given said smaller size, without a made-to-proper size case from Gibson themselves; finding an aftermarket case that doesn't have the guitar moving about inside is going to be challenging...
  • Would have been nice to see a white/vintage white finish, and maybe some others not common to a 'V; new model could surely usher in some new finish ideas? Even if it's not worth it due to smaller popularity...blah blah...
  • Would have preferred a lower-outpick pickup stage, personally; I lean towards vintage voiced more than high gain; just my preference, though.

Moan over [biggrin]

Are you sure it's smaller?

Are you sure it's smaller?

According to AMS, yeah... http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-DVCG-EBCH3

Gibson Flying V Traditional Pro Features

Bound solid mahogany body with 4% percent reduction in size

Thin, fast '60s SlimTaper neck profile

Bound Rosewood fingerboard with acrylic dot inlays

The powerful ceramic magnets help rule the stage with scorching leads and crunching rhythm tones

Grover Tuners

My summary...

Good:

Bad:

•  

Moan over [biggrin]

As much as I have carried on about folks complaining about the "no case" deal, when it comes to guitars that have odd shapes making a standard case impossible, there SHOULD be a case with it. (My opinion).

Smaller? Why? that sucks. Sorta.

As for the rest, it looks REAL cool. Classy, yet, vee-like. This is a good take on the classic style.

As for pups, that's pretty much my last consideration being as it's one of the easiest things to change on a guitar. (Not that I am going to buy a vee). But what I think, while I certainly prefer the lower-output Gibby pups, these ARE good pups, and most you would have a taste for this axe would likely prefer these pups, methinks.

• 1 month later...

Archived