Gibson Brands Forums

Ltd Ed Don Everly SQ-180EB

Bob Isaac

I have picked up this guitar and it is not listed in the Epiphone guitar dater. It is genuine as it is still in its original box and wrapping. Can anyone help decipher the serial number please:

SW06091901.

I assume it is September 2006 and guitar number 1901 for that year. But what about the SW. Does that stand for Solid Wood?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

I have picked up this guitar and it is not listed in the Epiphone guitar dater. It is genuine as it is still in its original box and wrapping. Can anyone help decipher the serial number please:

SW06091901.

I assume it is September 2006 and guitar number 1901 for that year. But what about the SW. Does that stand for Solid Wood?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

The SW stands for the factory it was made in (Korea).

Check it --> http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Epiphone_Serial_Number_Decoding

BTW it has a 'Made in China' sticker on the headstock.

Bob

The plot thickens [confused]

It does seem an odd combination with a laminated top and solid back and sides, it's generally visa versa, but that's what the wiki states and I'm certainly not going to contradict it.

As for a case, and again all there is to go on is the wiki, it does seem to be a bit of an odd size, perhaps the jumbo case http://www.andertons.co.uk/hard-cases/pid9282/cid580/epiphone-case-for-super-jumbo-acoustics.asp ? But you really need to put the guitar and case together to know for sure. Good luck.

As for a case, and again all there is to go on is the wiki, it does seem to be a bit of an odd size, perhaps the jumbo case http://www.andertons.co.uk/hard-cases/pid9282/cid580/epiphone-case-for-super-jumbo-acoustics.asp ? But you really need to put the guitar and case together to know for sure. Good luck.

I have an Epi jumbo case for my EJ200 but it is too big for the SQ-180. The closest Epi case I can find is the EL-0CS for the EL-00 but not sure if it deep enough as the EL-00 is not quite as deep as the SQ-180. There is no local dealer with one for me to try.

Bob

Those things were all over the board weren't they? Various colors and pickguards. I even recall seeing one with an open book Gibson-esque headstock. What they all had though was an very skinny neck which for me is always a deal killer. Because of that I never really gave one of these guitars a good looking over but every one I ran into was described to me as being all laminate construction.

That clarifies the top is laminated. I am waiting to hear back about the back and sides.

Bob

For my 2 cents, if the back and sides were solid they would have used the phrase "solid maple back and sides" in the advertising blurb.

Which is why nobody can understand why it says that they are on the wiki

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/SQ_Models

I have a bunch of old epiphone catalogs I've collected over the years and looking at the 2006 catalog; the SQ-180 is listed in the back as an LTD. ED custom shop. and makes no reference to Don Everly although it looks identical with a few small exceptions. also, a few catalogs from the late '90's I have list the body as just Maple. no reference to being solid or laminate. so, I'm wondering if the UNOFFICIAL wiki page might not be accurate by listing the 2006 model as a Don Everly SQ-180. not saying it's wrong but I've never known Epiphone to not associate a model with a player. I'm not sure the scanned add above is an "Everly" either. looks like a mid '90's before Don got in on it.

Hey guys, the specifications for the body woods is a typo. It should not say 'solid'. As a matter of fact, Epiphone doesnt specify (in any of the catalogs) whether or not the body is solid or laminated. On an acoustic guitar, this usually means that the body is laminated because if it were solid, Epiphone would certainly specify it as a selling point.

As for it being a signature model, I guess that it sometimes was and sometimes wasnt. From 1986 through 1994, it was just listed as an SQ-180. In the 1994 catalog, it also says "Authorized by Gibson USA 1957 J-180 Replica". Then from 1995 through its discontinuation in 2004 it was the Don Everly SQ-180. When it was finally brought back in 2006 it was called the Ltd. Edition SQ-180 Reissue.

Throughout all of the years, the only difference that I am aware of is the headstock and the inlays on it. And according to the Epiphone catalogs, not all of the "Don Everly" years (1995-2004) had the signature on the headstock.

I hope this helps to clear things up. Keep in mind that the wiki isnt infallible.

I have had confirmation from Gibson that all these guitar are laminated top, sides and back.

The one I have bought is 2006 and has the dark pickguards - not black - just a dark tortoise effect, and the label shows it as a Ltd Ed Don Everly SQ-180.

Bob

I have had confirmation from Gibson that all these guitar are laminated top, sides and back.

The one I have bought is 2006 and has the dark pickguards - not black - just a dark tortoise effect, and the label shows it as a Ltd Ed Don Everly SQ-180.

Bob

So, mystery solved.

Did they recommend a case?

Let me just correct something I put above. The label on the Epiphone box states "Ltd Ed Don Everly SQ-180EB" but the label in the guitar just states "Ltd Ed SQ-180EB". EB meaning Ebony not Everly Brothers. No case is recommended. It is an odd size so a perfect fit case might be a bit of a job to find.

Approx dimensions:

Overall length - 42"

Body length (not incl heel) - 19.75"

Top bout - 11.25"

Lower bout - 15.75"

Depth at lower bout - 4.75" (a bit more than the depth at top bout)

Bob

Archived