Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on this one.....

J-200 Koa

Be nice to see a pic of the guitar label that was clear enough to read the serial number. Ebay guitars don't interest me, aside from checking prices, but even if they did there are several that are much cheaper than this one. I agree that there is something about this guitar that doesn't look right.

I've got some concerns on that one. No feedback. No serial stamp on the back of the headstock. No clear picture of the label. No center strip when looking inside the sound hole (at least I couldn't see one). No Gibson emblem on the case.

You could send the link to Jeremy and ask him to verify.

There's a whole bunch of strange stuff going on with this guitar. I would at the very least want a close-up photo through the soundhole, so you can see the label clearly and have a better idea of the back construction.

The fact that the seller says it has been confirmed to be legit means nothing. You need to confirm it for yourself.

There should be a permanent serial number on the guitar, not just a number on the printed label. Modern standard series guitars usually have had this embossed on the back of the headstock. Some higher-end models have this ink-stamped on the neck block, as was usually done back in the "vintage" days. This serves as an identifier if the label is ever lost.

Without a lot more information, I wouldn't touch this one with a 10-foot pole.

There's a whole bunch of strange stuff going on with this guitar. I would at the very least want a close-up photo through the soundhole, so you can see the label clearly and have a better idea of the back construction.

The fact that the seller says it has been confirmed to be legit means nothing. You need to confirm it for yourself.

There should be a permanent serial number on the guitar, not just a number on the printed label. Modern standard series guitars usually have had this embossed on the back of the headstock. Some higher-end models have this ink-stamped on the neck block, as was usually done back in the "vintage" days. This serves as an identifier if the label is ever lost.

Without a lot more information, I wouldn't touch this one with a 10-foot pole.

+1 all of this.

-Keith

I realize that being a "custon" built guitar it may be different in a lot of details than a standard production Gibson.

But to me, I see a few details that point to it being not a Gibson.

I can't be sure with these photos, but from where I see, it looks more like a forgery than an actual Gibson.

I would like to respectfully disagree on this one- at least as far as the guitar itself goes. To these eyes, it seems to be a very nice custom Hummingbird from the early 1990's.

Although the back strip is not visible in most of the photos, one zoomed in close-up will show it, as well as it's indentation on the paper label (has anyone seen MOP with this coloration- later models might've had abalone):

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-03%20at%202.54.31%20PM_zpshvpq5hyk.png

The soundhole label with the angled script logo would be from the same era as the similarly-logo'ed TKL case, here with the purple fur and "Made in Canada" around the rivet for the pull on the case pocket:

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-03%20at%203.00.09%20PM_zpspqfygcjs.png

Case with most of script logo rubbed off, except for the "G":

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-03%20at%203.00.43%20PM_zpsn9hpdj4j.png

If the guitar was a counterfeit, then kudos to the forgers for even getting the shrinkage that occurred around the headstock logo. And what is that nice blue inlaid there? The keystone tuners suggest that this one is special, and the tortoise headstock overlay is the only place on the guitar where we see the Hummingbird displayed, as the pickguard is shaped to match the Heritage bridge:

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-03%20at%203.54.48%20PM_zpssax7o0gt.png

Although eBay has really ramped up it's buyer protection, as far as almost always siding with the buyer (even when seller states "no returns"), sellers with no feedback, and/or poor or hesitant communication should be avoided. An attempt was made to have the seller send a pic of the soundhole label while the eBay listing was active. No response. Second attempt garnered a "had an error message. Sorry, I'll keep trying". Nothing received. Never buying a guitar without first playing it is sometimes unavoidable when living far from where the guitars are. And sometimes the guitars are legitimate, but sometimes the question is more with the seller.

Archived