Gibson Brands Forums

The U.S dollar is too strong ... I will never have a Gibson ?

Daniel Limoges

Hi everyone !

As you know the U.S dollar is strong, too strong (But the E.U is even worse).

Because of that, since the dollar is strong i became a poor man from Canada.

This morning the U.S Dollar is 33% stronger than here : OUCH !

Even if Gibson has lowered its prices for the 2016 model, it's still too higher !

Now the price of the 2015 model has falled : GREAT, but i don't want a 2015 model !

Why the United States has makes me a poor man ?

Everyone has the right to have a descent Gibson NO !?

Anyway the choice is hard for the 2016 ... Imagine now choose between 2016 and 2015 ... i can not!

I want to buy this week a Les Paul model.

And to make my choice more difficult, i have eliminated 2 sellers with which i had some problems on the delivery (Yorkville was their distributors) I don't want to do anything with Yorville Canada !(Long & Mcquade & Archambault Musique) ... for the story, see below !

There remains other choice & my next question is Best Buy Canada (yeah i know msp_confused.gif) :

I noticed that in the United States, Best Buy does not sell any musical instrument ... But here in Canada YES !

So why here and not at the U.S Best buy ?

Is it enough safe ?

Is Gibson can reassure me on a purchase of a Gibson at Best Buy Canada?

The distributor is good ?, they have a proper storage room for the wood of the guitar ?

I feel strange to ask eusa_wall.gif

Anyway thank you all , i just want the best Gibson Les Paul guitar for my money 2015 or 2016 ( my poor canadian money) $1500 CAD is my budget ... ??? ... My only alternative is maybe Epiphone 60's LP Tribute Plus for 900$ + a descent amp !

This is my story with Long&McQuade :

A TRUE STORY

5 week before Chrismas i ordered a Line 6 Guitar JTV-69 Variax.

The seller told me that the delivery is 2 week. I asked the seller that the guitar must arrive directly from the Line 6 because of my fear that it can be a demo !

He said ok but the delivery will be more longer ; i said fine !

23 december i receive a call from L&M which said that my guitar is there.

At the store: A seller arrives with the box & ask me if i want to see the guitar : YES !

He opens the box by one of two ends by helping. The first thing i saw is the ends of the Gig bag. But at this time i know that something is wrong because the Gig Bag is black instead of being white/creme !

I told him that the case is not the good case, but he ignored me by opening the box completely ...

Yet He saw that i was shocked,and he continued his demonstration by showing me all the accessories coming with the Variax ( HE'S IGNORED ME)

At this time I do not even looking at the guitar and he continued his demonstration ...

This seller open the Gig bag & what i saw HAS horrified me : IT WAS A USED DIRTY & DISGUSTING GUITAR WITH A LOT OF FINGER PRINTS ON IT & A LONG TRACE OF FAT THING !

No plastic on the pickups ect ...

& you know what, this Long & McQuade seller has kept trying to sell it !

Of course i ask for a refund !

Since i bought used guitar !

What can i say more than this ?

5 weeks of waiting to have a guitar for Chrismas with the family DURING CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS !

Niet, Zero : THE DESERT !

It's not only a question of money , but this goes further !

For weeks I have asked for the head of the thief who did this...They offer me to get any guitar THAT they have on the wall without taxes : OF COURSE I HAVE REFUSED TO DO BUSINESS WITH THIEVES !

You can find my story on any Long&McQuade channel & Line 6 forum ... the guitar was a JTV69 HSS Variax

They don't stole my money by they have stole my time ( 5 week) .. Now i have nothing against Long & McQuade, but i don't want to do business with their distributors Yorkville & i still want the head of the guy who did this ... also the seller at Long & McQuade has been too slow to see the mess that he was try to pass me !

Buy used is good , but for my first Gibson a brand new Studio Les Paul would make my hapiness !

Wasn't it just last year and the year before that we were 6 points hirer than the US???

No matter what Gibson Les Paul you buy in Canada.. they're ALL distributed by Yorkville Sound (AKA Long/McQuade.. they own the rights in Canada for distributor ship)

Best Buy Canada sell garbage for instruments.. none of them look in playable condition no mater who the manufacturer is.

Best part is Long and McQuade have great financing, we can buy anything we want..

https://www.long-mcq...FilterBrand=237

Well I think there is something more important than what the exchange rate may be.. Unfortunately none of us have control of that so it is what it is..

But more importantly there are huge differences between the 2015 and 2016 range... mainly the wider neck profile on the 2015s and the G-Force tuners.... these have been dropped it seems from the 2016 lineup...

If you don't like big necks DONT get a 2015....

Also I hear that you can still get a 2014 model here and there for really good prices... But if you are looking at 2016s, then maybe one of the Faded models may just about be in your price range (or near it).. they are great guitars [thumbup]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PFLKAY?keywords=gibson%20les%20paul%20faded&qid=1443713663&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015E4PFEC?keywords=gibson%20les%20paul%20studio%20faded&qid=1443713708&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

Good luck on your hunt.

Buy used. I have not bought a new guitar in ages.

Yes at the beginning it was my decision to do this but believe me i don't know enough the Gibson guitar to be safe ... there is a lot of Chibson in the street & believe me I would be a GREAT VICTIM !

The Chibson forces us ( the newbies) to buy a brand new guitar ... I have 3 old Ibanez Guitar from the 80's, 1 fender Strat & a poor JTV-69 HSS from Line 6 (the electronic on these guitar are a mess IT'S JUST A TOY) ... Gibson fans are right to fight against technology : it's POOR as idea for a guitar !

Thanks

Yes at the beginning it was my decision to do this but believe me i don't know enough the Gibson guitar to be safe ... there is a lot of Chibson in the street & believe me I would be a GREAT VICTIM !

The Chibson forces us ( the newbies) to buy a brand new guitar ... I have 3 old Ibanez Guitar from the 80's, 1 fender Strat & a poor JTV-69 HSS from Line 6 (the electronic on these guitar are a mess IT'S JUST A TOY) ... Gibson fans are right to fight against technology : it's POOR as idea for a guitar !

Thanks

Hi, you could look around and find some used guitars that you like.

After that you come back and post some photos of them, it's easy using photobucket for example.

I tell you there are tons of knowledge here, this guys spot a fake Gibson in a few seconds.

Wish you luck.

Guest Farnsbarns

Buy used or save more seems to be the extent of yoyr options. You could always look for a used guitar in a reputablr shop.

If i may repond to some of the rest of your post...

No. The idea of having a right to a Gibson makes no sense.

The US dollar is not strong. It is falling against most other currencies, the Canadian Dollar is simply even weaker.

You seem to blame the US. Ever thought the reason the Canadian dollar is weak might be a problem caused closer to home?

What is happening with the price of British goods in Canada? I would assume they're rising even faster. (I now find myself wondering what Canada might import from here. I'm guessing not a lot. Especially given the strength of the GBP over the USD).

not that I'm one to provoke an argument..

You seem to blame the US. Ever thought the reason the Canadian dollar is weak might be a problem caused closer to home?

Seems to be what EVERYONE likes to do Farns...

we simply embrace the hate lad.

I agree,, buy a used one. if you are unsure come back here BEFORE you buy anything with pictures of the body, back of the body, neck/head stock, back of the neck/head stock,

buying used is good advise. makes your money go further because you aren't the one taking the initial depreciation.

i bought my studio pro from L & M, as well as other pieces of gear. i've always been treated well, had good prices, good selection. at the bloor location in toronto, they serviced one of my amps and they were quick and seemed to do a good job. i like shopping there, but the 12th fret is also really nice too. we are lucky here because there are several good places to choose from.

i've spoken to several people that bought guitars at best buy. all of them said they were poorly set up but otherwise good guitars. one guy bought an lpj and an sgj for under $400 each. regardless of what some people may think. those prices make it a good idea to buy them. you still get a genuine gibson guitar. it has all the same hardware that the other ones have. if you decide to gut it and buy whatever mods floats your boat, it's not gonna cost you an arm and a leg to have a pretty nice guitar. it works better if you can do your own set ups, wiring, etc. oh also, percentage-wise, those guitars take a smaller initial hit than the more expensive ones.

What is happening with the price of British goods in Canada? I would assume they're rising even faster. (I now find myself wondering what Canada might import from here. I'm guessing not a lot. Especially given the strength of the GBP over the USD).

I don't think we even import tea from the British or UK , 99% of our goods comes our way from the parent companies run out of the US. and most of those products are imported from China..

but I digress..

He just needs to find a guitar he likes (even if it's at Long and McQuade) they'll let him pay for it over time too.. and October is 0 interest month for 12 months... hmm wonder what guitar I need now??

Hi, you could look around and find some used guitars that you like.

After that you come back and post some photos of them, it's easy using photobucket for example.

I tell you there are tons of knowledge here, this guys spot a fake Gibson in a few seconds.

Wish you luck.

Yes it's a good idea !

2 days ago i found a GiBson Les Paul Studio on KIJIJI...after a few email & some words about Chibson, the guy told me that his guitar was a Chibson & asked me to negociate if i want ...

Buy used or save more seems to be the extent of yoyr options. You could always look for a used guitar in a reputablr shop.

If i may repond to some of the rest of your post...

No. The idea of having a right to a Gibson makes no sense.

The US dollar is not strong. It is falling against most other currencies, the Canadian Dollar is simply even weaker.

Yes the Canadian dollar have been made weak by design to stimulate exports and the economy by creating Jobs ! ... i don't blame U.S It's just a little sarcastic ...It's just sad because i prefer U.S product than canadian product !

not that I'm one to provoke an argument..

Seems to be what EVERYONE likes to do Farns...

we simply embrace the hate lad.

I agree,, buy a used one. if you are unsure come back here BEFORE you buy anything with pictures of the body, back of the body, neck/head stock, back of the neck/head stock,

Yes i will do that !

buying used is good advise. makes your money go further because you aren't the one taking the initial depreciation.

i bought my studio pro from L & M, as well as other pieces of gear. i've always been treated well, had good prices, good selection. at the bloor location in toronto, they serviced one of my amps and they were quick and seemed to do a good job. i like shopping there, but the 12th fret is also really nice too. we are lucky here because there are several good places to choose from.

i've spoken to several people that bought guitars at best buy. all of them said they were poorly set up but otherwise good guitars. one guy bought an lpj and an sgj for under $400 each. regardless of what some people may think. those prices make it a good idea to buy them. you still get a genuine gibson guitar. it has all the same hardware that the other ones have. if you decide to gut it and buy whatever mods floats your boat, it's not gonna cost you an arm and a leg to have a pretty nice guitar. it works better if you can do your own set ups, wiring, etc. oh also, percentage-wise, those guitars take a smaller initial hit than the more expensive ones.

A TRUE STORY

The seller told me that the delivery is 2 week. I asked the seller that the guitar must arrive directly from the Line 6 because of my fear that it can be a demo !

At the store: A seller arrives with the box & ask me if i want to see the guitar : YES !

He opens the box by one of two ends by helping. The first thing i saw is the ends of the Gig bag. But at this time i know that something is wrong because the Gig Bag is black instead of being white/creme !

I told him that the case is not the good case, but he ignored me by opening the box completely ...

Yet He saw that i was shocked,and he continued his demonstration by showing me all the accessories coming with the Variax ( HE'S IGNORED ME)

At this time I do not even looking at the guitar and he continued his demonstration ( ASSHOLE)

This seller open the Gig bag & what i saw HAS horrified me : IT WAS A USED DIRTY & DISGUSTING GUITAR WITH A LOT OF FINGER PRINTS ON IT & A LONG TRACE OF FAT THING !

5 weeks of waiting to have a guitar for Chrismas with the family DURING CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS !

For weeks I have asked for the head of the thief who did this...They offer me to get any guitar THAT they have on the wall without taxes : OF COURSE I HAVE REFUSED TO DO BUSINESS WITH THIEVES !

You can find my story on any Long&McQuade channel & Line 6 .. the guitar was a JTV69 hss Variax (a kind of a toy)

They don't stole my money byt my time : 5 week .. Now i have nothing against Long & McQuade, but i don't want to do business with their distributors Yorkville & i still want the head of the guy who did this ... also the seller at Long & McQuade has been too slow to see the mess that he was try to pass me !

A TRUE STORY

At this time I do not even looking at the guitar and he continued his demonstration ( ASSHOLE)

You can find my story on any Long&McQuade channel

I agree that that was bad business on their part but if they gave you a refund; is it right to call them thieves?

I agree that that was bad business on their part but if they gave you a refund; is it right to call them thieves?

You right !

But they have stole my time ( 5 week) .. Now i have nothing against Long & McQuade, but i don't want to do business with their distributors Yorkville & i still want the head of the guy who did this ... also the seller at Long & McQuade has been too slow to see the mess that he was try to pass me !

Buy used is good , but for my first Gibson a brand new Studio Les Paul would make my hapiness !

A good rant.

Feel better now?

Let me know if you need Kleenex to blow your nose and wipe your tears.

This happened at Christmas. Why did you wait so long? You have been steaming mad the whole time.

As for Exchange Rates... I could see it coming so I bought a Les Paul Standard and a Martin HD-28 early this year after the dollar dropped but before Long and McQuade raised their price.

Couple notes here.

First, you, me, we do NOT do business with a distributor. That's a dealers job. It's the DEALER who gets paid, and they are SOLELY responsible for what they sell, and what you get.

If you don't want the dealer to do his job, (whom YOU pay), and then blame them for what the distributor does, that's not their fault.

As for the exchange rate, that's a factor, but the REAL factor is what the Gibson's cost to buy in your country. Gibson might sell to some countries for more or less (and there are other factors besides exchange rate), depending. So the bottom line, is what are they costing this year to you?

Just as an example, say you wait for the exchange rate to be more favorable. By then, Gibson may have raised prices, or Canada imposes more fees and/or customs. Or restrictions.

Might as well look at it like the GIBSON exchange rate, which may be different than the money exchange rate.

Guest Farnsbarns

You right !

But they have stole my time ( 5 week) .. Now i have nothing against Long & McQuade, but i don't want to do business with their distributors Yorkville & i still want the head of the guy who did this ... also the seller at Long & McQuade has been too slow to see the mess that he was try to pass me !

You gave them your time. You didn't get what you expected in return and now you regret it. ;) - you like to be a bit melodramatic don't you!

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for "the seller's head", he's a sales person doing his job in the face of adversity. From the employers perspective he probably deserves a bonus.

Monday i have to go to a musical store for a 2016 model & they have a lot of unsold 2015 model & the prices have dropped ... i have a question : even if i want a 2016, is there one model 2015 that everyone have a positive critics on it ?

Have you looked a zzounds.com, they have a lot of New LP's well within your budget. I get most of my gear through them, mainly because of their payment plans. they usually get stuff to me in about 5 days, and i live an hour off the paved roads, in the Appalachian mountains. they have never done me wrong.

Archived