Gibson Brands Forums

Help with ID/specs for 2008 Les Paul

I recently decided to purchase a TronicalTune Plus for my 2008 Les Paul and had some difficulty with my first attempted order (what I thought was the correct PCB was very slightly off; when I originally did the measurements and overlaid the PCB template on the headstock of my guitar, I thought that the approximately 1/16" discrepancy in the paper template was a poor cutting job by me or a distortion of the printer... it wasn't). I need to exchange the PCB but don't want to make the $50 shipping mistake a second time, so I am trying to track down some precise information regarding my guitar's physical specs before I do the exchange.

I purchased the Les Paul new from a local music store in 2010, and it was labeled as Les Paul Standard Traditional Plus. As indicated in the attached photo, the truss rod cover does not contain any designation of "Standard" as is typical of a Les Paul Standard. I do see on Gibson's web site a 2008 model (simply labeled Les Paul Standard) that looks almost exactly like mine except the truss rod cover and locking Neutrik jack (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard/Features.aspx). The guitar on Gibson's site is a plus-top w/o pick guard as is mine.

If anyone can verify my model, it would be much appreciated; additionally, if there is any source that I can use to verify the headstock specifications to match them to the Tronical template, please point me to it.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

EDIT: There is one other difference that I just noticed from the photo of the 2008 LP Standard linked above: my guitar has what appear to be Vintage 135-style tuners instead of chrome-knob tuners (I had taken them off in anticipation of installing the Tronical, but this is a stock photo of some identical Grovers, http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Guitar_and_Solid_Peghead/Grover_Vintage_135_Series_3and3_Tuners.html, the only difference being that they are stamped "Gibson Vintage" rather than "Grover Vintage").

post-73960-097308400 1443714358_thumb.jpg

post-73960-010703600 1443714370_thumb.jpg

post-73960-024338200 1443715241_thumb.jpg

post-73960-037908600 1443715253_thumb.jpg

Well the 2008 Standard (I have one) had certain features that are only on that model.. Mainly all the locking hardware.. Tuners, bridge and input jack.... Mine also came without a pickguard...

What im wondering is if you have a 2007 Standard that was made in 2008 (that happens, my 2008 Standard was made in 2011 if you can believe that)...

So your model may have been made in 2008 but may not be a 2008 Standard (if you see what I mean).

There are two things you can do.... Sometimes under the pickups they have some letters that indicate what the model is... OR you should email Gibson Customer Service with those pics, and they will tell you exactly what it is.. sometimes they answer in the forum but rarely..

Let us know what you find [thumbup]

Thanks much for the response. I Googled "2007 Les Paul Standard Traditional Plus" and the first several images do appear to be of my guitar's twin (unstamped truss rod cover, vintage-style tuners and no locking cord jack), so that may ultimately be the answer. I will try to get in touch with Gibson customer service and post what I find; if anyone else has any thoughts in the meantime, I'd love to hear them.

To add one layer of complexity, I toyed with the idea a couple of years of trading this guitar for a classical that Gruhn had in stock, so I sent them some photos when I inquired about trading. The Gruhn rep said that they were uncertain as to the exact model but that it appeared to them similar to a special edition that was distributed only to Musicians Friend. The only way that could be correct was if my local shop was selling me a used instrument without telling me, which I doubt seriously because they're very reputable and have been an authorized Gibson dealer forever (they seldom sell used instruments and all have been clearly marked in the almost 30 years I've done business with them). Still, it was worrisome that Gruhn wasn't more certain of what I had.

Yes it seems that you have a Trad Plus 2007 model (they really don't make it easy :))

And yes they certainly do (or used to) make exclusive models for specific shops just to add to all the confusion .... I think the main ones I saw were made for guitar centre....

But yes, Gibson should let you know for sure from the front shot and the serial number.

Pic of mine is attached. As you will see, it says either LP5+ or LPS+. No idea what the 5 would be if that's what the third character is. Assuming if that character is an S is would mean "Standard" but would expect to see that indicated on the truss rod cover.

post-73960-056204900 1443730663_thumb.jpg

Pic of mine is attached. As you will see, it says either LP5+ or LPS+. No idea what the 5 would be if that's what the third character is. Assuming if that character is an S is would mean "Standard" but would expect to see that indicated on the truss rod cover.

post-73960-056204900 1443730663_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm, I believe that the 5 stands for 50s neck the larger of the two main profiles the other being a 60s slim taper neck... and the + means nice flamey top.

So I think its a LP Trad Pro Plus top with a 50s neck.... If it was a Standard it would probably say Std like mine.

Is it typical of those models not to have the "Standard" stamped truss rod cover?

Bence, I also notice that you mentioned the "Traditional" in your P.S. The Traditional merely indicates the type of weight relief, correct? My LP is a bit over 9 pounds, so it isn't the lightest instrument ever made, although I guess it's a far cry from some of the non-relieved earlier models.

Hello!

During July that year, Gibson introduced a face-lifted version, called the "2008 Standard". It remained in production until it was superseded by the "2012 Standard". Yours is from May, 2008. The specs of Your guitar are correct for the era.

The difference between the Standard, and the Traditional goes beyond the weight-relieving. The Standards are constantly upgraded by new features, like asymmetrical neck profile, chambering, PCB and locking hardware. While the Traditional is a Les Paul "Standard", kept in it's early-80s format. That's what Gibson says about the concept behind these models.

Best wishes... Bence

Archived