Gibson Brands Forums

New Case Design

58 Relic

I own a new J45 Standard Gibson Acoustic with the standard black case with blue lining but I have encountered a problem with the latch design . After opening , the latches are left in the open position up , the top of the latches are left sharp on the edge and stick up in the air just waiting to scratch the side or back of your guitar when taking it out if you are not careful . Putting the guitar back is even more a problem if you don't close the latches first on the open case . Would be nice if the latches had a rubber cover on the tips of the latches latches or better still a different latch design . This is not meant as a complaint but the new Gibson guitars are finished so well and look great , only to be scratched possibly by the case that is made to protect it

I own a new J45 Standard Gibson Acoustic with the standard black case with blue lining but I have encountered a problem with the latch design . After opening , the latches are left in the open position up , the top of the latches are left sharp on the edge and stick up in the air just waiting to scratch the side or back of your guitar when taking it out if you are not careful . Putting the guitar back is even more a problem if you don't close the latches first on the open case . Would be nice if the latches had a rubber cover on the tips of the latches latches or better still a different latch design . This is not meant as a complaint but the new Gibson guitars are finished so well and look great , only to be scratched possibly by the case that is made to protect it

I couldn't agree more, Relic. I recently punctured the top of a brand new J-45 Custom on the sharp corner of an open latch that was sticking straight out. I was moving guitars around in my music room and had several laying out on chairs and on the floor. As I picked up my J-45C to set it on a stand, it swung too close to the open case and I now have a gouge in the lower bout that is about an 1/8" in diameter and 1/8" deep. Not a pretty sight in an otherwise beautiful and pristine (not to mention expensive) guitar. I chalked my exerience up to carelessnes and and will learn from it. But I will also caution other new Gibson buyers that what 58 Relic says is true. The latches on new Gibson cases have very sharp corners and they stick straight out from the side of the case when in the open position. Be careful!

My brown fancy case with the purple (pink! apparently) lining that came with my Hummingbird Vintage does this, too. Thought maybe it was just the brown cases. I haven't noticed it with the J-15 case (black with blue lining, I think, and I think the non-brown case 2016 models are black with black lining). I haven't hit case weather yet, though. Once I do, I am going to have to be really careful!

I do have one Hiscox dreadnought-size case, so my J-15, Hummingbird and M-36 will have to battle for it. Or, I'll have to buy another. I plan to have a Hiscox for all my guitars eventually. I figured for this winter, I'd put my J-15 in it. Even though it's a year older than my Hummingbird Vintage, the Hummingbird has a torrefied top and is therefore a bit tougher. (The rest isn't torrefied, though, and is only a few months old, so maybe the Bird should get the best case! Worth 2.5x as much as the J-15 too. The brown case seals really tight, though, even if the latches are dangerous.)

If I were a fellow living in the UK, say on the Isle of Wight, I do believe I would get myself a Hiscox case, inexpensive as they are there, and never look back on the Gibson case again. :)

(My fiancee was just on the Isle of Wight in August... without me... Sad times. Seems like a pretty incredible place!)

1443849201[/url]' post='1698969']

My brown fancy case with the purple (pink! apparently) lining that came with my Hummingbird Vintage does this, too. Thought maybe it was just the brown cases. I haven't noticed it with the J-15 case (black with blue lining, I think, and I think the non-brown case 2016 models are black with black lining). I haven't hit case weather yet, though. Once I do, I am going to have to be really careful!

I do have one Hiscox dreadnought-size case, so my J-15, Hummingbird and M-36 will have to battle for it. Or, I'll have to buy another. I plan to have a Hiscox for all my guitars eventually. I figured for this winter, I'd put my J-15 in it. Even though it's a year older than my Hummingbird Vintage, the Hummingbird has a torrefied top and is therefore a bit tougher. (The rest isn't torrefied, though, and is only a few months old, so maybe the Bird should get the best case! Worth 2.5x as much as the J-15 too. The brown case seals really tight, though, even if the latches are dangerous.)

If I were a fellow living in the UK, say on the Isle of Wight, I do believe I would get myself a Hiscox case, inexpensive as they are there, and never look back on the Gibson case again. :)

(My fiancee was just on the Isle of Wight in August... without me... Sad times. Seems like a pretty incredible place!)

Thanks , Yes I think it's time for a call to Hiscox , yes the island is a wonderful place to live , starting to slow down now now that all the festivals have finished , still have all the open folk nights during the winter months to look forward to

I got a Hiscox Pro II about two years ago and they are terrific, it is home to my 1965 J-50 now but all my acoustics fit it. The latches are specifically designed not to damage the guitar. It is also noticeably lighter than the original Gibson case from my 2008 J-50.

Got mine from Elderly for $250 but I believe there is another model slightly less expensive too.

I got a Hiscox Pro II about two years ago and they are terrific, it is home to my 1965 J-50 now but all my acoustics fit it. The latches are specifically designed not to damage the guitar. It is also noticeably lighter than the original Gibson case from my 2008 J-50.

Got mine from Elderly for $250 but I believe there is another model slightly less expensive too.

Yep, there is a HORRIBLE store on-line that sells them cheap, Pro Instrument or something. I got mine for I think $200? Mine is the Pro II as well. Musician's Friend now sells them too, and I've tried to wrangle their price down but never have any luck. They always say they'll call me back... and never do.

My second Hiscox Pro II was purchased in England, and you'd cry to see how inexpensive they are there. Unfortunately, something happened to it during shipment, and the valence ballooned out, so it's not a tight seal. They suggested I try to fix it with a rubber mallet. I beat the heck out of that thing. They send me an extra latch, but I have no idea how to install it. Depressing. This one is their smallest case, which I got for my Martin 7-28, and it's still too big, so they sent me some extra pads. I think that will do the trick there. Funny to have a larger case for a smaller guitar, though.

However, the dreadnought Pro II that I got from the awful company is A+ perfect. I'd like two more, and then I'd like one for an SJ when I get an SJ. :)

Looks like Guitar Center even has them now, about $280 for a dreadnaught Pro II. If you could catch one their 15% coupon sales, that would be a pretty good deal. Elderly has coupons that randomly pop up on their site. I used one of these when I got my Hiscox, I think it was 20% off.

Looks like Guitar Center even has them now, about $280 for a dreadnaught Pro II. If you could catch one their 15% coupon sales, that would be a pretty good deal. Elderly has coupons that randomly pop up on their site. I used one of these when I got my Hiscox, I think it was 20% off.

Looks like Instrument Pro doesn't have them anymore, but that's who had them for $250.

Custom Pearl Inlay sells them too, $275 in ivory and $259 in black, but it's $35 shipping for each.

If I can find one for $250 from Elderly or somewhere, I guess I'd better go for it.

The one I bought in England was the equivalent of $160... And that's AFTER taxes. Can't possibly be that expensive to import them, can it? Guess so.

My J45 standard came in a dark brown case with a purple inside. Damn it's a nice looking case.

A buddy of mine had a small parlor guitar hand build by a local luthier. The guitar sounds amazing.

He put that hand crafted custom build in a Carlton. They ain't cheap and each case has a micro chip in it.

Might be a bit over kill, but then again maybe not.

Same thing with my J45TV. The latches have sharp edges compared to my other cases. As far as quality is concerned, the case is not worthy of the guitar. Only taken the guitar out once since I got it last week and I used one of my other Gibson cases........Serious question------Why does this case have six latches on it?

Excuse my dumb question, do they use the sort of latches common on Gibson USA electrics cases made 2011...2014 for acoustic cases now? The descriptions would match. What me bothers most is the ear for using a lock on one of the latches per case. You can badly hurt a thumb while closing it since the ear sticks out very badly.

Below is a J-45 TV in a Hiscox (Pro II?) case:

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-03%20at%2012.23.00%20PM_zpsamqcizuf.png

Good to see the latches on the lid of the case do not appear to be waiting to claw into the guitar's top, as many a guitar have gotten gouges from lifting a guitar out from a snug fitting case; the case moves, the lid tries to fall closed, and catches the guitar right in the lower bout.

To those already with Hiscox cases: are those interior cushions enough contact to hold the guitar securely? 'Seems to be quite a bit of space around a slope-shouldered guitar like the '45.

I seem to be missing something here - that Hiscox has latches everywhere, that I can see anyway?

Maybe the guitar case needs a re-design with Guitar Fairy friendly rubber covered zipper?

I waddled around for years and years with my very heavy metal Dobro in a case with broken handle gaffer taped, screwed, packing taped, roped! Not a case anywhere that size! I was told absolute Fuffe by various guitar salesman when asked for a new case for it, but one day I was at a shop that sold National guitars and I asked the chap and he sold me a National Steel style 0 case that turned out a perfect fit! I was very pleased until I noticed the lid decided NOT to stay UP. Still have it and fight the guitar gods every time I open or shut the thing.... The handle is very nice though. [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Yes, that looks just like my Pro II. I think the design is really good. There are some soft foam blocks that press against the guitar and hold it snugly in place. So the guitar is "floating" inside the case. That way, if there is a sudden impact (like a baggage handler dropping it), those foam blocks act as shock absorbers and the the extra room lets the guitar move without touching the sides. In other words, a shock to the outside of the case is not directly transmitted to the guitar. You can see the foam pads on mine here

case03.jpg

case03a.jpg

Here it is with my 2008 J-50

case04.jpg

Right. Got it. Thanks Boyd. The cushions make sense as an internal shock absorber system, as opposed to a snug fit all around able to transmit an impact directly to the guitar.

...And there's that pickguard/Rorschach test- obviously containing a graphic depiction of the bony hand of the Grinch reaching out to grab a Christmas tree ornament.

I decided to correct the sharp latch problem by purchasing a Calton case.

A bit pricey but I felt my SWD was worth the protection.

http://www.calton-cases.com/

I have always thought these were the best one can buy but I'm sure there are many other very good alternative choices available as well.

They are really are the best cases ever. Like we both mentioned , they are not cheap.

I bet they have one that is custom made for the J45 and will fit it like a glove. IDK.

This, Dan-

photo-30_zpsrlbphnd3.jpg

Look at enough old guitars, and you will see some damage from the latch on the lower bout. Compare this latch design with the latch on the Hiscox in Boyd's photo.

Those little tabs are on every "normal" case I have ever seen. Not sure I'd attribute the hazard to a design problem. I can see how that particular tab, in that location presents the risk. Maybe just take a grinder to that one and get rid of it ? The rest of the latches tabs would seem to me to probably secure the closure just fine without that particular tab.

This, Dan-

photo-30_zpsrlbphnd3.jpg

Look at enough old guitars, and you will see some damage from the latch on the lower bout. Compare this latch design with the latch on the Hiscox in Boyd's photo.

DuluthDan, thanks for asking. I was confused also - a picture is worth a thousand words - for some like me anyway.

I think the reason I was confused is that this is the type of latch I've seen on all Gibson cases for the past.... well at least 40 years. I learned to be careful when the top fell shut on my first Gibson leaving a not cute at all dimple on its face. That served as a reminder to me for years that I needed to be extra-careful. I have been fortunate to never have had it recur, but still hate the design, especially when paired with the tops that don't open a little further so they aren't precariously balancing, ready to come crashing down closed while the guitar is half in and out.

However, the reason I dislike them enough to chime in here: my 1st Gibson got another dimple when my young son took it out without my knowledge and had the same top crashing down with the pointy latch scoring another hit. So, like with motorcycle riders - no matter how careful you are with your guitars, if others can get to them and take them out of their cases - you'll have accidents.

But, unlike the perennial 'cheap plastic bridge pin' debate - I do think Gibson should address this as a real issue. We shouldn't have to buy a new case, even if we don't mind shelling out $30 for a prettier set of bridge pins.

They are really are the best cases ever. Like we both mentioned , they are not cheap.

I bet they have one that is custom made for the J45 and will fit it like a glove. IDK.

Mikeo, you are correct, very expensive custom hand built instruments should have a Calton in my opinion. Or any guitar that you have a serious bond with and believe it would be very hard to replace if something bad would happen transporting.

When you order a Calton you give them your exact dimensions and they make the padding inside to fit your instrument perfectly.

Total length, lower bout, upper bout, waist, depth on lower bout and upper bout, neck width and length, ect.

They are waterproof and virtually bullet proof due to the carbon fiber and fiberglass shell design.

as you said, it can also be special ordered with the option of one with an RFID chip so it can be tracked if it is stolen or lost by the airline / bus/ train, whatever.

As well as many outer and inner color choices.

But then you should get a lot for what they cost.

I just figured that since my SWD is my most cherished instrument above all my others I needed to be sure it was always safe.

Especially when I'm traveling or it is being handled by a crew

Archived