Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard Journal Story about a J45 Reunification

MorrisrownSal

There is a real sweet story about how a Nashville journeyman guitarist had to sell his beloved 1942 J45, and did so to Vince Gill. Vince always stated that Bob Minner could at anytime reaquire his soul-guitar when his financial condition improved, and Bob took him up on it. John Thomas, Bob, and Vince met up at Carter's Vintage Guitars to effect the transaction. It was a feel good story written perfectly by Thomas. I wish it were online so I could link to it, as there are some great pictures of the guitar in the magazine.

If you subscribe, enjoy it. If you don't, you can order the issues from FJ's website.

Thanks so much for the kind words! That was a wonderful story to document. Hanging with Vince and Bob Minner was a thrill. Fretboard Journal has video of the meeting, including duets of Bob playing his 1942 J-45 and Vince playing my 1942 LG-1. We'll put some of the video on the website at some point.

My favorite moment was when I Skyped in one of the Kalamazoo Gals, Irene, to meet Vince. Here's a clip that shows what a charming guy and good sport Vince is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpIQtoHnPqk

And a couple of photos:

photo%202_zpsqtykygik.jpg

Vince%20Gill%20and%20Bob%20Minner%20meet%20a%20Kalamazoo%20Gal_zpsbe7ituck.jpg

Vince%20and%20Kalamazoo%20Gals_zpsmkmnx5ly.jpg

Awesome JT! I was considering taking pictures of the guitar with my iphone and posting it here, but I didnt want to dilute your distribution. Ie "not my content to give away". Thanks for posting those pictures here!

My pleasure! Thanks for mentioning the article.

Archived