Gibson Brands Forums

2015 thunderbird

bink

Hey everyone on this chilly fall day,

Has anyone else purchased a 2015 instrument from Gibson and experienced a surprisingly shoddy finish?

This (my Thunderbird) is an otherwise brilliant piece of work without a doubt and the joy of playing it is beyond words.

It's just hard to fathom how a bad finish like this would be acceptable to Gibson as representative of the

quality of their finish work. I feel a rant creeping up so i'll stop now!

Cheers

bink

Any Pictures? Is it supposed to be a matte finish? Is it a problem with the finishing of the frets or all-around? I have heard of the 'new' Gibsons being rough. some Epiphones were given better scores in fit and finish. Sorry to hear the cosmetics are falling behind the sound and playability.

John

Welcome to the hit-or-miss world of Gibson quality control. This has been an ongoing issue with Gibson for years across their entire line. Lots of flawless, but enough glitches to notice.

I had a 2000 TBird with finish issues, as well as an improperly mounted pick guard and a few other niggling things. Otherwise, a fabulous instrument that I enjoyed for some years.

It's just really irritating that it carries into their flagship instruments, and at top dollar.

BTW, no mention of basses for 2016 from them. Probably too much overstock. It's too bad - their 2016 guitar line-up is going to be priced 20% to 25% lower than this year's models, i.e. Firebird guitars @ $1199......

It'd be nice to see Tbirds at that price point....

Archived