Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Masterbilt AJ-500M

David Garner

I actually got it a few days ago but I forgot to post it here because it's my first Epi. Man, what a fantastic guitar. It sounds amazing and the satin neck and gloss top combo is fantastic. No sticky neck (or back or sides) and it plays and sounds amazing.

I ordered some Colosi bone bridge pins with the faux tortoise inlay to match the guard. I'll eventually put some sort of pickup in it. For now, I'm very impressed with this guitar.

The intonation is spot on too.

C7808910-8CCC-4CBA-B276-FD9591E5D3FE_zps3r7icdp7.jpg

E63E0C0A-3677-46BF-B0BF-E0D98D01E299_zpsqd3clys7.jpg

79A1EFB2-D0B9-493D-BDD8-656E72002541_zps1xgu0nk9.jpg

753E382B-3306-4FF2-A024-0F9DC4BF7DD3_zpsclvoffiw.jpg

Beautiful looking guitar.

Is it mahogany sides and back?

Is it new?

What are the differences between an AJ and a DR model?

Have fun playing it.

Thanks! It is mahogany. I got it used from Guitar Center online. I'm not familiar with the DR model, but the AJ is a take on Gibson's Advanced Jumbo.

It's a really sweet guitar. I couldn't be more impressed. Under $400 tax included. Amazing.

...it's my first Epi. Man, what a fantastic guitar.

Great! Nice looking AJ. I did not realize the AJ had dot fret markers. The DR and EF Masterbilts have small "pearloid diamonds."

I ordered some Colosi bone bridge pins with the faux tortoise inlay to match the guard.

Good plan. I probably wouldn't have gotten these, but one of mine came with Colosi fossilized walrus ivory bridge and pins inlaid with mop. Very nice. [thumbup]

The AJ's a great Masterbilt!

Great! Nice looking AJ. I did not realize the AJ had dot fret markers. The DR and EF Masterbilts have small "pearloid diamonds."

Good plan. I probably wouldn't have gotten these, but one of mine came with Colosi fossilized walrus ivory bridge and pins inlaid with mop. Very nice. [thumbup]

The AJ's a great Masterbilt!

Thanks! Yeah, I had a Colosi ivory saddle and nut on my Taylor. His stuff is top notch.

I played one of these in the local GC a few years ago but wanted a Rosewood body, impressed as I was with this one. Well, next thing I know they're discontinued. Then several months ago, I got an email saying that the GC was expecting a limited run of Masterbilt AJ500M's. What did I have to lose? One week later, I'm the owner of one of the finest acoustic instruments I've ever owned. When I took it too my luthier for an initial going over, his only comment was "Oh, I LOVE Masterbilts".

'Nuff said. Congrats on the new guitar. Here's mine:

001_zps02ea3abf.jpg

I played one of these in the local GC a few years ago but wanted a Rosewood body, impressed as I was with this one. Well, next thing I know they're discontinued. Then several months ago, I got an email saying that the GC was expecting a limited run of Masterbilt AJ500M's. What did I have to lose? One week later, I'm the owner of one of the finest acoustic instruments I've ever owned. When I took it too my luthier for an initial going over, his only comment was "Oh, I LOVE Masterbilts".

'Nuff said. Congrats on the new guitar. Here's mine:

001_zps02ea3abf.jpg

That's a beauty!

Hey fellow AJ-500M lovers. I just 'happened' across one the other day, played it for a while, not even thinking about buying another guitar, but it spoke to me and I had to do it!

What a beautiful instrument. I have a Hummingbird and several Martins and Taylors. This baby sings. Ya know how many of these I could buy for the price of my Martin 000-28EC? WOW is the best word I can muster.

I am waiting to hear from Gibson on what they know about this guitar, I gave them pictures and the serial number. Nothing online that I have found matches the pattern of numbers for my serial number.

Hey fellow AJ-500M lovers. I just 'happened' across one the other day, played it for a while, not even thinking about buying another guitar, but it spoke to me and I had to do it!

What a beautiful instrument. I have a Hummingbird and several Martins and Taylors. This baby sings. Ya know how many of these I could buy for the price of my Martin 000-28EC? WOW is the best word I can muster.

I am waiting to hear from Gibson on what they know about this guitar, I gave them pictures and the serial number. Nothing online that I have found matches the pattern of numbers for my serial number.

I used this site:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

They're reputed to be somewhat unreliable, but I think the first two numbers indicate the year (in my case, it's "08").

Thanx David. I'll have a look. I just received a reply from Gibson. They concur mine was also shipped out 1/6/2008.

Did you buy yours new? If so, has it gotten even better with age? Do you still love it?

I got mine used, but it still seems to get better the more I play it. It's really an amazing instrument, not just for the money, but in general.

Archived