Gibson Brands Forums

Famous J-200 recordings/videos?

Jesse_Dylan

Okay, so I've seen every video of a J-200 on YouTube twice (at least the ones labeled J-200 or SJ-200).

I still think the SJ-100 Walut might be best for me in the long run (hopefully still around when/if I decide to buy), but the SJ-100 itself has kind of opened back up a 20-year obsession for the sunburst SJ-200 that I thought I'd gotten over.

I was just curious if folks could think of any famous recordings, or perhaps video I could search for, featuring unplugged ("unplugged," i.e. mic'd) SJ-200s.

A few examples I thought of are Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" (if you can even hear it under all that reverb), George Harrison's demos for All Things Must Pass and some of his for the White Album and others, Dylan's Nashville Skyline (I assume he's playing it on the album???)

There are surprise examples all over the place, too, like Wilco's NPR Tiny Desk concert. One that doesn't count is Yusef (Cat Stevens') life-alteringly wonderful NPR Tiny Desk concert--as fantastic as the entire thing is, the guitar is plugged in and does not count :P

Maybe I should just go cold turkey...

Here is one. Completely unprocessed and very very raw. [biggrin] This was of a song "In Process" J-200 DStandard. Maple sides and back. After a year of trying hard, we could just not get along - so it was sold to finance the j-45 Legend.

Believe it or not, this is one I came across in my scouring of YouTube. :) Loved the song, and I had to smile when you said, "What a great guitar!" and laughed. Song seems to fit my mood today, so I'm glad to be listening to it again. I think your playing here really emphasizes what a deep, full sound the SJ-200 has, too, which is exactly what I'm hoping to find in one.

It's true, though, that it sometimes takes a year of solid playing to decide if a guitar is right for you. Other times it seems to be immediately apparent.

Believe it or not, this is one I came across in my scouring of YouTube. :) Loved the song, and I had to smile when you said, "What a great guitar!" and laughed. Song seems to fit my mood today, so I'm glad to be listening to it again. I think your playing here really emphasizes what a deep, full sound the SJ-200 has, too, which is exactly what I'm hoping to find in one.

It's true, though, that it sometimes takes a year of solid playing to decide if a guitar is right for you. Other times it seems to be immediately apparent.

Geeze, 308 views ! I should try and figure out how to monetize that little rink dink channel. [biggrin] I throw most of these up there so I have a way to share them with my 98 year-old father and 88 year old mother.

From the Gibson site:

7. The Beatles’ George Harrison himself was keen a fan of the J-200 – he “upgraded” from the Epiphone acoustics he previously favored to record The Beatles, a.k.a. “The White Album.” “For You Blue,” “Here Comes the Sun,” “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”, “Long, Long, Long” and “Piggies” all feature Harrison playing one of his Gibson J-200s. Harrison also composed most songs for his solo debut, All Things Must Pass, on a Gibson J-200. Was this the very same guitar given to Dylan, and later given back? Fab Four fanatics, let us know the truth!

One of my all time favorites and very J-200!: Run of the Mill from All Things Must Pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEA2pI41YVg

The Beatles' George Harrison himself was keen a fan of the J-200 – he "upgraded" from the Epiphone acoustics he previously favored to record The Beatles, a.k.a. "The White Album."

Won't go too far into this as we have a thread back on the river that tries to trace the mysterious back'n'forth whereabouts of that 1968 tune-o-matic-sunburst J-200, , ,

without being able to really clear the fog.

However it's an open fact that Harrison played Gibson J-160E, not Epiphone before switching to the Jumbo.

And yes, he used the SJ for a couple of years, but as early as the Bangla Desh concert in 1971 chose a Harptone (also Jumbo).

By the way, I now await EA's contribution here. He knows a secret link to a terrific 200 - come in Prague. . .

And by one way more, I tried a beautiful 1958 Super Jumbo today. 11/16 width on a bit thick neck, and it sounded - not loud, but gooood .

[And by one way more, I tried a beautiful 1958 Super Jumbo today. 11/16 width on a bit thick neck, and it sounded - not loud, but gooood .

The key to the success of the 1 11/16" nut widths on the Gibsons of the late 1940's and 1950's was the relatively thick C-shaped neck section that went with the relatively narrow nut. It worked, and was very easy on the hand. A narrow nut and a thin neck section are not a good combination.

Won't go too far into this as we have a thread back on the river that tries to trace the mysterious back'n'forth whereabouts of that 1968 tune-o-matic-sunburst J-200, , ,

without being able to really clear the fog.

However it's an open fact that Harrison played Gibson J-160E, not Epiphone before switching to the Jumbo.

And yes, he used the SJ for a couple of years, but as early as the Bangla Desh concert in 1971 he chose a Harptone (also Jumbo).

By the way, I now await EA's contribution here. He knows a secret link to a terrific 200 - come in Prague. . .

And by one way more, I tried a beautiful 1958 Super Jumbo today. 11/16 width on a bit thick neck, and it sounded - not loud, but gooood .

I thought the piece sounded a bit unresearched. Maybe the writer was referring to George occasionally picking up Paul's Texan?

The song I posted, and Here Comes the Sun sure sounds like an SJ 200. [thumbup]

Archived