Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you buy your strings ?

brc

I usually buy quite a few sets at one time.

Thanks for your input

I have used many brands, but keep come back to dAddario brand string.

I try to buy in bulk. 10 packs of strings.

My last purchase came from MF.

Thought that MF discontinued selling the 10 packs, but I talk to the rep a dAddario at a festival and she said they are called Pro Pack.

Brings it down to 3 bucks or so a pack. You can pay at least double that at a retailer for a single pack.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-exl110-nickel-light-electric-guitar-strings-10-pack

Lots of guys like Just Strings

http://www.juststrings.com/

Strings Direct in the UK , used them for years . Wouldn't go anywhere else . I use their Legacy strings are brilliant value , gigged them for a long time on my electrics 09 -46 gauge

Thanks for the input every one.

I don't play any more, but when I do a refinish job or a set up, I of course always throw on a new set.

Only a couple of times, the owners have asked for a specific brand/ gauge of string, but I like to keep a decent amount of strings in stock in my shop.

I don't buy enough to purchase them by the box ( 50 or more) but I try and keep at least 12 or more sets on hand so I am not rushed when I need a new set.

I have already checked out the links and names every one provided.

Thanks again

Actually I find this is where Amazon and Ebay are pretty good..

+1

If I'm looking for assembled sets (e.g., Ernie Ball Regular Slinky), I'll search the Bay and sort the results by Price + Shipping: lowest first - as long as the seller has at least a 98% rating, I'll buy.

When it comes to individual strings, I like JustStrings.com - not cheap, but I get exactly what I want.

Small music stores make their money selling strings, pedals, etc.- whatever they can to make it work. I buy from then when I can. But since I now live in an area where the closest music store is 45 minutes away, I buy my strings from Just Strings. I also buy from Sweetwater for most everything else.

At the store where they charge $12 instead of the one downtown where they want $25.50. I'm stuck on D'Addario Flat Tops on my acoustic. They're twice the price but worth every penny.

I picked up several sets at the local Mom & Pop going-out-of-business sale. Her military husband got re-assigned and they had to move.

I still have 2 sets on deck for my electric - Dean Markley Cryo and some Gibson Pure.

If I played gigs, had more guitars, and made more money... things would be very different.

Lately, as Strings Direct (uk mail order).

I usually buy several sets also, but I sold my Jackson Elite this year, and then found a had several sets of strings for it (no I dont use them on any other guitar).

I'm one who also buys from Strings Direct, through their eBay store (I'm a sucker for eBay feedback!). I'll buy enough for each of my electrics + 1 extra pack each month, so I build up a stockpile.

daddario-daddario-exl110w-nickel-wound-electric-10-46-regular-light-w-wound-3rd-p2985-2834_image.jpg

I usually buy quite a few sets at one time.

Thanks for your input

This is gonna sound funny, but at a drum store. There is a local music store that mostly sells drums but they have a few guitars and sell strings. I could prob get them cheaper elsewhere but this place has been there 50 years, they are nice folks so i support my local mom n pop place.

I also use Strings Direct who must be UKs biggest online retailer by now. They are very good, 100% satisfaction in my experience, especially if you buy in bulk.

But recently I've been comparing their prices with others and sometimes find significantly cheaper prices elsewhere.

For instance at the moment I can find DR 'pure blues' are £3 GBP ($4.50) cheaper per set from a much smaller online business.....big difference.

I really seem to like the folks at www.stringsandbeyond.com well. Great service, solid prices, and I like the mix of products. Also, I do like some of the lesser stocked items e.g. Pyramid Flats & stuff. Use those on my J-160E.

Aster

Actually I find this is where Amazon and Ebay are pretty good.. you can get some good deals... you just gotta keep checking the prices out as they seem to change all the time.

Rabs is correct... always a good deal to be had if you keep checking...

Rotosound yellows (10's) always for me!

Regards

Not that it will help the OP much but I buy mine from Twang Guitars - a mom'n'pop shop which is a five minutes walk from my house.

I tried many different brands when I first bought the R0 but settled on Rotosound Pure Nickels (blue pack).

I use PN's simply because I was advised to always use Pure Nickels with a Gibson.

They sound great; last ages and are manufactured just 25 miles away from here down in Sevenoaks, Kent.

The only time I've strayed was after a very nice chap from D'Addario sent me a set of their Pure Nickels to try.

They were very, very good indeed. In fact they are still in use and sound just as good as they did when they were first stung-up.

Pip.

Archived