Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner Swap on Songbird Deluxe

nid2007

Swapped out the romantics for a set of Waverley's on my Songbird. I love this guitar, and now I love the tuners too!

image_1.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_2.jpg

Once I decided I was keeping this guitar, the tuning machine replacement had to be done. The old gold romantics were worn, and they even "looked" heavy.

Here's a pic of the Koa back:

image.jpg

Thanks. At a homecoming some years back, Ren was noodling with my Songwriter over a few beers and I asked him if he recommended any mods, and he said "well, if your going to keep it, you should put some waverly's on it."

From the creator himself...:)

Hi Neil,

I'm surprised you still have the guitar. You were on a real search for the holy grail for a while and I thought it probably got sent down the road. I always liked that guitar.

You are missed out here and we would like it a lot if you brought your kids out for a visit to Yellowstone as was promised.

The Waverly's are amazing and you did the right thing. If you make the trip out I will get you a tour of the Waverly plant. It's small and very cool. The Homecoming folks always take the tour.

Hope to see ya soon.

Look great! People complain about the "raccoon eye" look you get doing that, but you have to squint to even notice it on yours. Would not bother me at all. I have a set of Waverlies here with ebony buttons to swap out the ROMANTICS on my Martin M-36. I can't do it, so it's waiting til I take it in to the shop. (Going to get African blackwood nut/saddle and horn nut/saddle made as well so I can try it out, just to be weird.)

And I have two sets of Schaller Grand Tunes on order, one vintage copper buttbean for my Martin 7-28 (to replace Grover open-back--should be a direct swap) and a set of vintage copper with the tulip buttons to replace the "period correct" tuners on my Hummingbird Vintage. I think they'll be as good as or better than the Waverlies, but it'll be fun to compare!

J-15 is keeping the Grover Mini Romantics for now (I like that... just gonna keep rolling it), but I might swap to the metal-button Waverlies there. At the moment, I put keystone tuning buttons on the Grovers, and they look really cool and 1970 :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Bill!

This Songbird is new to me. You are remembering my very first Bozeman Gibson purchase (oh, so many Gibsons ago) which was really nice sunburst Songwriter Deluxe that I had with me on a Homecoming trip. I've drifted out of the catch and release and herding phase, and this Songbird is a keeper--just a great everyday go-to guitar. I never imagined I would ever be saying that about a square shouldered Koa backed guitar. I can't tell you how much it pleases me that my principle guitar now is a Ren creation.

Man, I need to get back to Bozeman and want to bad! Life just gets in the way. Hope all is well. Take care!

Hi Neil,

I'm surprised you still have the guitar. You were on a real search for the holy grail for a while and I thought it probably got sent down the road. I always liked that guitar.

You are missed out here and we would like it a lot if you brought your kids out for a visit to Yellowstone as was promised.

The Waverly's are amazing and you did the right thing. If you make the trip out I will get you a tour of the Waverly plant. It's small and very cool. The Homecoming folks always take the tour.

Hope to see ya soon.

Archived