Gibson Brands Forums

2016 J 45 standard demo

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

In my opinion the changes gibson has done to the new line is very apparent .Here we have a J 45:

Enjoy

JC

All I can say is, "Meh." Not super impressed. I chalk it up mostly to marketing, since they have to do SOMETHING new to a guitar that's been in production in one shape or form since 1942, so I don't blame them for that. Sure the rolled fingerboard edges and tone wheel on the pickup are nice, but neither are necessary or warrant me wanting to part with my 2014 J45 Standard to get a 2016, and could care less about the "finer grit sandpaper" used to produced a glossier finish. It's still the exact same guitar under the hood as far as bracing and construction, so if it were me I'd be searching for a deal on a new leftover 2014, or just go the used route if I came across one that sounded good. I'm not saying that the 2016 isn't a sweet guitar, because I absolutely love J45's, but I feel like these new features are just a way for Gibson to "justify" the $200 price increase.

The VTC pickup is so much better than the One in my LG2, which is quacky. The VTC on my 2016 J45 is so much better. I also appreciate the neck, the setup, and the beautiful and properly placed pick guard. Sure the guts are the same, but I am thrilled with mine. And if I had the "old" and "new" side by side, all other things being equal... Like tone..., if gladly pay a few hundred more for the new version. It really is nice SBpark. I have played dozens of other standards in recent years. This one became mine.

While I lke the mic'd sound, the pickup sound is the classic horrid to me !

My J45 Standard pickup sounds similar, until I plug it into my Fishman Aura with a nice J45 sound image, and then and only then, it sounds great.

Everyone to their own thing - I saw a famous local guy with that pickup sound coming out of a concert PA and I went to the beer tent. Another time, I went to the Advantage Bar at the F1 Grand Prix and entertaining the troops waiting for beer were not 1, but 2 acousticas quacking away in a little PA pushed to the limit. I had to go back to the track and take my earplugs out and get some V12. And THEN after all my brow beating about Fishman Aura, my dopey mate rings me and says he played at a wine bar with his new guitar and it 'didn't sound much like an acoustic - what do I recommend?' So then he does nothing I said, claims the guitar is no good and puts a stick on pickup on his dobro and repeats all the same mistakes to come to the conclusion that his guitars sound better mic'd...except he gets lots of feedback and can't get it loud enough, and off to quack at the gig goers he goes! [confused]

Having the pickup is just the beginning of things - like having the power connected to the front of your home - all kinds of things are needed to get a nicer sound live......preamp, DI, eq, compression, etc, etc, etc....my Aura Spectrum has a lot of the things....

BluesKing777.

While I lke the mic'd sound, the pickup sound is the classic horrid to me !

My J45 Standard pickup sounds similar, until I plug it into my Fishman Aura with a nice J45 sound image, and then and only then, it sounds great.

Everyone to their own thing - I saw a famous local guy with that pickup sound coming out of a concert PA and I went to the beer tent. Another time, I went to the Advantage Bar at the F1 Grand Prix and entertaining the troops waiting for beer were not 1, but 2 acousticas quacking away in a little PA pushed to the limit. I had to go back to the track and take my earplugs out and get some V12. And THEN after all my brow beating about Fishman Aura, my dopey mate rings me and says he played at a wine bar with his new guitar and it 'didn't sound much like an acoustic - what do I recommend?' So then he does nothing I said, claims the guitar is no good and puts a stick on pickup on his dobro and repeats all the same mistakes to come to the conclusion that his guitars sound better mic'd...except he gets lots of feedback and can't get it loud enough, and off to quack at the gig goers he goes! [confused]

Having the pickup is just the beginning of things - like having the power connected to the front of your home - all kinds of things are needed to get a nicer sound live......preamp, DI, eq, compression, etc, etc, etc....my Aura Spectrum has a lot of the things....I paid less for my new 2014 J45 Standard and a new Aura Spectrum DI combined than the price if the new 2016 J45 Standard.

BluesKing777.

Agree. Both the new and old Baggs UST sound like crap by themselves. When I plug it into my Aura Spectrum DI it sounds fantastic. And my 2014 has a perfectly aligned pickguard.

1444003130[/url]' post='1699477']

All I can say is, "Meh." Not super impressed. I chalk it up mostly to marketing, since they have to do SOMETHING new to a guitar that's been in production in one shape or form since 1942, so I don't blame them for that. Sure the rolled fingerboard edges and tone wheel on the pickup are nice, but neither are necessary or warrant me wanting to part with my 2014 J45 Standard to get a 2016, and could care less about the "finer grit sandpaper" used to produced a glossier finish. It's still the exact same guitar under the hood as far as bracing and construction, so if it were me I'd be searching for a deal on a new leftover 2014, or just go the used route if I came across one that sounded good. I'm not saying that the 2016 isn't a sweet guitar, because I absolutely love J45's, but I feel like these new features are just a way for Gibson to "justify" the $200 price increase.

Totally agree , I got my 45 new out of the box this July , cost £1,450 new , smooth finish , no sharp fret ends . I wouldn't have used the tone wheel on the pickup system and I would have put a plain truss rod cover on quickly . The only thing I had to do was oil the fretboard a bit on the first string change , me I'm well happy , now looking for a Hummingbird later this year msp_thumbup.gif

I was talking about stuff like the pleked nut on the 2016's

I think that's a good thing but like you say the 2014's or any other year could be justvas good.

JC

I agree the piezo sounds horrendous, but of course you guys know I think that by now. :P

I have wondered long and hard about the new for 2016 stuff myself. Obviously there are some actual upgrades, like the VTC. The rest is all more subtle to the point where one wonders whether it exists in reality or just in spec sheets and feature lists.

I do think that the 2016s I've played have all been stellar. But some 2015s I've played have been, too, and certainly none I've ever played have been bad. Just feels like 2016 goes the extra mile. Of course, that is what marketing wants one to think, too, so who knows... :)

I will say my 2015 (2014, obviously, but they seem to do "model years" a year ahead) J-15 has hilarious fit/finish issues. Does not impact anything, though, and adds to the character if nothing else. But my 2016 Hummingbird Vintage has a few fit/finish issues too.

When you plug a piezo in direct instead of through an amp or a PA with air, it sounds even worse. Sometimes a good amp or PA can really disguise it. I had good luck with the Baggs Stage Pro Element through a PA, but it sounds awful direct (and does not sound anywhere near as good as the Aura either way, or a Lyric).

Good lord that piezo quack was shocking. Like an 87 Ovation. I find the Fishman infinity without the Aura trestment is much better in that respect.

Glad it was not just me!

The J45 - Long story short, I got Presto and Chromecast to watch Duchovny in Aquarius long finished the series, but I can Chromecast youtube and guess what??? Guitar Demo videos!!!! So I was watching the one above on the tv and the boss comes in and so I ask her what she thought and....disappointing after all the years of training...liked the piezo picking best!!!! [scared]

Ovation, eh? Here is a trip down the Memory Viz - some will get it others well....over their head....what ????:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf14Evmx5pg

BluesKing777.

I love the changes on the 2016. I love the feel of the neck edges. The guitar really stays in tune, rock solid. I think Gibson has upped the game. Is it worth a price hike - it'll be in the eyes of the beholder. I think it is, and I spent the extra.

Waitya hear the hummingbird demo on the other thread!

Eesh

HAHA You said it, not me! :) I've seen that guy's videos before, and he's a fantastic player with some great guitars, and when he uses a mic, I love it, but man, when he plugs direct, I want to cry.

I love the changes on the 2016. I love the feel of the neck edges. The guitar really stays in tune, rock solid. I think Gibson has upped the game. Is it worth a price hike - it'll be in the eyes of the beholder. I think it is, and I spent the extra.

When buying my J-15, I seriously considered paying more and holding out for a 2016. I think what happened was the price hike was going to occur anyway, as per Henry or whomever, so they did all they could to "add value". However, as Tman said, I think the best added value is that they have really hit it out of the park and put in the extra mile. The truss rod covers are silly, but I think there's a reason they want to highlight the 2016 model year. We shall see, I suppose, but I think the 2016s are the best guitars that have ever had Gibson on the headstock.

Is it just me or does that look like the flubber pick guard? It doesn't matter to me but there is nothing to wear off the J 45 or J 15 pick guard. However, the one I have doesn't even show any scratches, so it might be indestructible.

I tried a 2016 out next to a 2015 at a local shop. The pickguard is noticeably thicker on the 2016. The 2016 was also much fuller sounding guitar but two 2016s side by side might have been just as different. All I know is that if all 2016 J45s sounded that much better than the 2015 I would gladly pay the upcharge. It was the best guitar in the shop for me easily and that was against some stiff competition from a Martin D-18ge.

Fair enough, if those changes are what you want. Personally, I chose a particular (2013) J-45 standard from 6 other standards and two signature models. The first thing I did was take out all the electrics in the guitar. The second thing was to have a compensated, bone saddle professionally installed. The third was to replace the heavy, Grover tuners with better, lighter and prettier Waverly nickel, butterbean tuners. For me (and that is the caveat of course) It is now a great example of a J-45. Each to his own.

Archived