Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Platinum Les Paul Studio?

Gibson Artist

I saw one of these for sale recently but couldnt find a lot of info on them. I know they had a platinum one in the raw power series but i am talking about the Platinum LP Studio. From what i saw there are 4 colours, sunrise orange, all platinum, black, and some kind of blue. The seller claims the sunrise orange platinum is the rarest of all colours (not that it makes much difference to me) and it has an Ebony fretboard. Anyone got any additional info? Here is a photo of it

redstu2_zpssttibfqb.jpg

I saw one of these for sale recently but couldnt find a lot of info on them. I know they had a platinum one in the raw power series but i am talking about the Platinum LP Studio. From what i saw there are 4 colours, sunrise orange, all platinum, black, and some kind of blue. The seller claims the sunrise orange platinum is the rarest of all colours (not that it makes much difference to me) and it has an Ebony fretboard. Anyone got any additional info? Here is a photo of it

redstu2_zpssttibfqb.jpg

I had the all platinum color SG version. I loved the fact that it had no inlays on the neck, just a black ebony fret board. Quality was fine on mine. I'm not sure which other colors had the ebony board, I think some had dot inlays and rosewood boards. I have only seen a couple SG versions of the plat series and none of the LPs in person. The finish felt different, thicker than any other Gibson I have owned, but it didn't cause any problems for me. I wouldn't pay any more for one than a regular studio.

I had the all platinum color SG version. I loved the fact that it had no inlays on the neck, just a black ebony fret board. Quality was fine on mine. I'm not sure which other colors had the ebony board, I think some had dot inlays and rosewood boards. I have only seen a couple SG versions of the plat series and none of the LPs in person. The finish felt different, thicker than any other Gibson I have owned, but it didn't cause any problems for me. I wouldn't pay any more for one than a regular studio.

Well, i had an alpine white les paul i traded a while back that had an ebony fretboard, i just love those. The look, the feel, and i swear you can hear it a little brighter.

Well, i had an alpine white les paul i traded a while back that had an ebony fretboard, i just love those. The look, the feel, and i swear you can hear it a little brighter.

I feel that way too...i'm sure its not actually the case, but it looks and feels so nice.

I had the ebony version. Great guitar. I kinda wish that I never let it go but it

went on to fund something else.... It had the regular studio pickups. Not much new info that you don't

already know. Regular studio specs... plus "Platinum hardware" finish & Ebony FB.

Mine had a nice fat neck. Sniff....

I had the ebony version. Great guitar. I kinda wish that I never let it go but it

went on to fund something else.... It had the regular studio pickups. Not much new info that you don't

already know. Regular studio specs... plus "Platinum hardware" finish & Ebony FB.

Mine had a nice fat neck. Sniff....

Seller told me only 300 of these were made and they have a number printed on the back of the guitar. To me, its just a nice studio, other than the paint its just a studio with an Ebony Fretboard. But, they are beautiful i think. Tho the all Platinum one is a bit too bright for my taste.

Seller told me only 300 of these were made and they have a number printed on the back of the guitar. To me, its just a nice studio, other than the paint its just a studio with an Ebony Fretboard. But, they are beautiful i think. Tho the all Platinum one is a bit too bright for my taste.

You are correct (300).

I forgot about that, mine had it's number hand written in

silver sharpie on the back of the headstock.

Whoa! I forgot that Gibson made a Les Paul Studio line of the Platinum series. I have one of the SGs in sunrise orange. AFAIK the SGs only came in three colors: sunrise orange, black, and platinum.

This is mine, it is heavily mod'd: Bigsby, 57+ in the bridge position, P-94 in the neck, Wilkinson roller bridge (not pictured), Sperzel trim-lok tuners, etc. Please ignore the mismatched knobs. The original pickups were grey, uncovered 490s. I'm not a fan of 490s which is why I ripped them out.

full.jpg

btw this SG is HEAVY. Not sure if they used an extra dense mahogany or the finish is that thick, but it's just shy of a Les Paul Studio. The neck is baseball bat-ish which is something I love.

Archived