Gibson Brands Forums

gig bag for explorer

american cheez

There are plenty of Explorer-shaped-gigbag manufacturers around. Just Google. ;)

Dunno where you are located, but even Amazon sells them (although they look flimsy). Personally, I have one like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag1_explorer.htm

These bags may be padded, but still you need to be careful not to knock the headstock, it's the most fragile part of the explorer.

E

can someone recommend a good gig bag to fit an explorer? i just picked one up, and the case weighs a friggin ton.

Yep. Heavier than any of my long scale bass cases.

Is worth schlepping for me though. Wouldn't risk using a gigbag with that slim neck/peghead transition.

google did turn up a few, i was just hoping those "in the know" could point out what they liked vs. what they thought sux.

the case sure is sturdy, but lugging it around on the bus and the subway is problematic. it's like carrying around a massage table, only heavier.

besides, i'm kinda short, so it means carrying it funny so one end doesn't constantly bang on the floor.

I agree, the original Gibson Explorer case is annoying. Badly balanced, heavy and the leather grip will wear heavily over time. The padded gigbag is a good alternative to go to band practice sessions. Or get one of those aftermarket cases:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/search.php?fuzzy=0&query=1SKB-63

Maybe those are better balanced than the Gibson cases. They sure are smaller. (not as cheap as a bag though)

E

Can't complain about the balance of my rectangular Gibson case though.

An Explorer case? Mine (1993) is awfully unbalanced, the grip needs to be further forward. :blink:

The 2013 case of mine would be perfect with the grip only slightly shifted forward, but this is due to all the stuff I put into the accessories compartment. Moreover, my Explorer is rather light - perhaps yours, too? There's a case imbalance as a tradeoff then.

The one of my rectangular Fender cases containing my by far lightest Strat is the only one lacking balance, and swapping guitars revealed that the case is not the culprit. Instrument-shaped cases are less critical in this respect.

my case weighs 18.4 lbs according to the bathroom scale. the guitar weighs 9.6. combined weight works out to 28 lbs. you could totally put legs on it and make an interesting coffee table. if only i could yalk the wife into it.....

oh, i want to say, it's a lighter guitar than i expected. i'm happy about that. and it's well balanced. as comfortable as it seems to be, i'm surprised i don't see them more. time will tell i suppose but so far, the little bit of time i spent with it, not a bad player

my case weighs 18.4 lbs according to the bathroom scale. the guitar weighs 9.6. combined weight works out to 28 lbs. you could totally put legs on it and make an interesting coffee table. if only i could yalk the wife into it.....

My Explorer is 3.6 kgs or 7.9 lbs - really seems to be a light one.

• 1 month later...

I agree, the original Gibson Explorer case is annoying. Badly balanced, heavy and the leather grip will wear heavily over time. The padded gigbag is a good alternative to go to band practice sessions. Or get one of those aftermarket cases:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/search.php?fuzzy=0&query=1SKB-63

Maybe those are better balanced than the Gibson cases. They sure are smaller. (not as cheap as a bag though)

E

I have one of these SKB cases for gigs and it's FAR easier to lug around than the factory Gibson case.

I have one of these SKB cases for gigs and it's FAR easier to lug around than the factory Gibson case.

skb-1skb-63-explorer-firebird-hardshell-guitar-case-835328.jpg

Yeah.

I got one of these a while back to replace an old, huge case for an Explorer type KRAMER I've had since the 80's.

The original case was definitely more about protection from gig to gig, than conveniant personal travel.

This one removes about as much mass from a hardshell case that you can for that shape, while still protecting the guitar.

Archived