Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Cutaway Glow in the Dark

Waits

Dear Friends !

I have such Gibson - Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Custom Glow in the Dark. Very cool guitar, but unfortunately I can't find any information about it . I will be very happy , if someone can help me with information - exact model, amount of guitar, any information.

Great Thanks !

post-74284-009470300 1444063114_thumb.jpg

post-74284-089444800 1444063125_thumb.jpg

post-74284-025634000 1444063140_thumb.jpg

post-74284-075201600 1444063171_thumb.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

While the guitar looks to be a genuine 1998 Gibson Les Paul DC Studio, the logo seems to be an aftermarket article.

At least, - I assume - if it was installed in the factory, they would have used the correct letter type.

It's a highly modified, and probably refinished instrument. The bridge, machine heads and pickups are not stock either.

This is how it supposed to look like:

bigDSCN7602.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

While the guitar looks to be a genuine 1998 Gibson Les Paul DC Studio, the logo seems to be an aftermarket article.

At least, - I assume - if it was installed in the factory, they would have used the correct letter type.

It's a highly modified, and probably refinished instrument. The bridge, machine heads and pickups are not stock either.

This is how it supposed to look like:

bigDSCN7602.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Great Thanks, Friend !

I saw a lot off handmade and refinished instruments, this one don't look such - its too difficult. Also I see some similar to this instrument. Logo is normall, letter type is correct, it's hard to see on the photo.

So, maybe, someone give some additional information.

Sorry, but the logo is definitely not a genuine one. Please compare with this:

The guitar is a Gibson, though.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks !

But I check now Gibsons logo - my logois totally the same to Gibson. Later I try to make more valuable foto. There few kinds of logo.

Thanks !

But I check now Gibsons logo - my logois totally the same to Gibson. Later I try to make more valuable foto. There few kinds of logo.

Bence is correct.

The words "Les Paul" are definitely a fancier Script Font face than the normal font Gibson uses. the word "Model" on your Guitar is done in a block font that looks to be Compacta STD, where other Gibsons use what looks to be a modified Helvetica. I have been a graphic designer for 25 years, I teach Graphic Design and Typography at a University. I actually know more about type faces than I do about Gibson Guitars. Those fonts are not the normal Gibson Branding fonts on your head stock.

I am not saying it was not done by Gibson, because I don't know. Whoever did it, did a really nice job. Does the body glow in the dark as well? it looks like it would. No matter who did it, it is really cool looking.

Great Thanks, Friends !

I give a request to Gibson Service, they said, that its original Gibson DC. This was interesting to me. And this custom painting make the instrument unique and so cool ! Thank for attention !

Great Thanks, Friends !

I give a request to Gibson Service, they said, that its original Gibson DC. This was interesting to me. And this custom painting make the instrument unique and so cool ! Thank for attention !

So does the whole Body glow in the dark?

Something saddened me deeply while browsing YouTube the other day. I stumbled on a video from a guy who was proudly promoting counterfeited Gibson and laughing about the fact that it cleared the US Customs. Yes, he got away with it...

If you do a "search" about this new criminal trend, you'll find that those counterfeited Gibson may look like Genuine Gibson guitars; they even push the boundaries in carving serial numbers and a "made in USA" in the back of the headstock. Still, they are FAKE guitars and are found on the most popular auction websites one can find.

And trying to get everyone's opinion about the value of a SO obvious fake guitar is beyond me. To me, a Fake is a Fake and is worthless. I condone those who Sell, Buy and/or pose for counterfeited guitars. This is my opinion, and I wish more people would stand along Gibson to fight against this "international" crime.

Hello Josee and welcome to the Forums!

The guitar above is a genuine Gibson. I have no reason to doubt that.

My opinion is that it has been refinished and modified: it's not how it left the factory. That's all.

Cheers... Bence

Hey listen.

If the guitar sounds and plays great... then if its been re-finished, that's not the biggest problem.... The type face on the headstock is obviously not original .. but if the rest of the guitar is, its still a Gibson, just a re-finished one...

SO I say forget all those details and just enjoy playing it...

Its certainly a unique guitar and the paint job on it is a good one.. [thumbup]

Archived