Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar strap locks

Nunkie

Hello

Does anyone know of a guitar strap lock system currently on the market that would fit a 2006 Sun burst Gibson Les Paul Classic A ++ without haveing to change the original Gibson guitar buttons.

I have looked on line and all adviditised guitar strap locks come with their own buttons which you have to screw in place of the originals.

My trouble is I have wanted my Les Paul since I was a young man and only now after I retired from work was I able to full fill my dream of owning one, there is no way I'm taking a screw drive to unscrew and fit a new button on to the guitar in case of damage to the finish.

It seems daft to me that Gibson don't have a guitar strap which contains a locking system that's fits all the buttons on all their models.

Can anyone help

Cheers

Nunkie

Hello and welcome!

Here is a page where you will find some options that you may like, just scroll down.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Lock_Stock_and_Roll_Strap_Lock_Roundup

From my personal experience I have tried two types, the first one is the Surelock strap.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-straps/lm-products-surelock-nylon-guitar-strap

Well it's name says it all a strap with locking end's. No modification of your guitar needed.

I have to say I had a few problem with that one, first one of the buttons wasn't really all that "sure".

And second it is a nylon strap, unconfortable and slippery.

Though I have to add that you could buy only the locking ends.

My advice would be to go with some quality locks.

I use Schaller Security Locks, very good quality, made in Germany and no way they could fail you.

It's really not that dangerous, unscrew the old ones and screw in the new.

They fit without drilling. Those are the first ones in the link I posted.

And many here on the forums swear by the Dunlop's.

Hope this help's.

Don't be scared of the screwdriver, just be carefull.

Or check this, here in Spain there are many stores that will gladly install them for free if you buy it from them just ask at your favorite store.

Good luck.

I'd suggest the Schaller straplocks, also. I don't know why, but I can't bring myself to trust the Dunlops.

If you're concerned with your skills in changing out parts; it might be work looking to see if you have a local luthier or music store willing to do it for you? Might well have a cost but mitigates the risk.

+1 on the Schaller's

one of the big bennies is you can use the same screw, so you don't have to mess with anything other than replacing the pin.

Just make sure the bottom of "U" in the lock (Strap side) is ALWAYS pointing at the floor.

oh and before the "Use a Grolsch beer washer" crowd shows up, yes you can use those, but, you have to keep the strap on all the time.

Thank you for all your comments,

I have taken on board your advice and I value all your opinions.

The Schaller's seem to be the way to go, the only thing that still concerns me is having to take a screw driver to a work of art.

I'm still at a loss as to why Gibson do not provide a guitar strap locking system for their guitars to prevent what could potentially be a catastrophic event ( physically for the guitar and emotionally for the owner ) in the failure of a simple guitar strap coming lose from a simple button on the guitar.

Once I pluck up courage to use the screwdriver I let you know how I get on

Thanks again

Nunkie

Thank you for all your comments,

I have taken on board your advice and I value all your opinions.

The Schaller's seem to be the way to go, the only thing that still concerns me is having to take a screw driver to a work of art.

I'm still at a loss as to why Gibson do not provide a guitar strap locking system for their guitars to prevent what could potentially be a catastrophic event ( physically for the guitar and emotionally for the owner ) in the failure of a simple guitar strap coming lose from a simple button on the guitar.

Once I pluck up courage to use the screwdriver I let you know how I get on

Thanks again

Nunkie

Some tips that might help you out; when you marry up the screwdriver with the screw, and the tip sits in the screwtop, use both hands. one to turn the 'driver slowly; use your the fingers on your other hand to pinch the tip of the screwdriver, and rest them against the strap button lightly as you turn. This means you won't get any slippage from the screwdriver not sitting in the screw, and flying off into the finish.

Don't apply too much pressure, move slowly and cautiously. When putting the screws and new strap button back on turn until the button sits flush against the body and doesn't move (it can rotate), but don't keep pressing if you feel resistance in the screw when you're flush. Use the felt pads that come with the new buttons.

Use both hands when putting the new screw in; hold the threaded shaft of the screw with your off-hand for the first few turns, and let it turn between your fingers, but holding it at a right-angle to the guitar surface you're screwing into; this will help keep it straight and once enough thread is in the hole it will guide itself.

A note regard the Schaller product; the straplocks are supplied with two sets of screws; both black. One set will be about the same length as the original Gibson ones, which should be used in place of the Gibson ones ideally; they're supplied for a reason; they fit with the lock mechanism and such. Other screws might block the function of the lock, so use the provided screws!

The other set screws is the same as these, but has a bit more threaded length. Personally, I always use this set; having a bit more contact between screw and guitar wood gives a bit more peace of mind; it's more of an anchor for the strap lock, and especially useful if your guitar is a heavy beast. This will mean that you're going to make the whole already in the guitar a bit deeper, and you'll have to do some more work with the screwdriver to get the entire thing in.

A note regard the Schaller product; the straplocks are supplied with two sets of screws; both black. One set will be about the same length as the original Gibson ones, which should be used in place of the Gibson ones ideally; they're supplied for a reason; they fit with the lock mechanism and such. Other screws might block the function of the lock, so use the provided screws!

Hi Pesh,

Just as an fyi (FWIF), my four gibsons with shcallers, were installed using the stock gibson provided screw. It does not block the operation of the lock.

Hello

Does anyone know of a guitar strap lock system currently on the market that would fit a 2006 Sun burst Gibson Les Paul Classic A ++ without haveing to change the original Gibson guitar buttons.

I have looked on line and all adviditised guitar strap locks come with their own buttons which you have to screw in place of the originals.

My trouble is I have wanted my Les Paul since I was a young man and only now after I retired from work was I able to full fill my dream of owning one, there is no way I'm taking a screw drive to unscrew and fit a new button on to the guitar in case of damage to the finish.

It seems daft to me that Gibson don't have a guitar strap which contains a locking system that's fits all the buttons on all their models.

Can anyone help

Cheers

Nunkie

I have had Schaller locks on my LP for almost 30 years. They thing is, the screw that come with that system are too small and you will want to take a small dowel and ill in the holes made by the original strap pins. You might even want a longer screw.

It's a great system in my opinion and they come with many new Fenders, Gretsches and Rickenbackers standard.

You can get away with one strap, playing many grands of guitars.

I also recommend that you really tighten the part that goes on the strap and use lock tight on the threads. Use 2 wrenches that will gonna give you some torque. Make sure the open U part also faces upwards, so the weight of the guitar balances on the strap locks and is not relying on the system.. I have had them fail when the U part of the lock faced down, but never when it faced up.

After my LP almost hit the ground some 30 years ago, this is the system I chose and I have been happy happy happy with it. The Schaller system also fits my Fender's, Gretsch's, Rickenbacker's and even a Godin 5th Ave.

Hope this helps

PS my PRS CU 22 has big washers and is a royal pain in the butt to take the strap off. However it works.

Hi Pesh,

Just as an fyi (FWIF), my four gibsons with shcallers, were installed using the stock gibson provided screw. It does not block the operation of the lock.

I must've just had an awkward 2013, then msp_biggrin.gif the 2014 screws didn't fit as they changed to that new super wide strap button.

I have just today put a set of Schaller straplocks on my LP Custom (and strap).

I bought this guitar second-hand at the end of 2012.

The 'original' (perhaps not?) strap buttons are plain brass though both retaining screws are gold-plated; I discovered one screw is larger bore than the other and so didn't fit in/through the Schaller strap button.

So I used the original screw on the neck end and one of the longer Schaller screws (yes, black and 1 1/2" long I think) on the other one, which has got a good tight hold.

Looks good and seems very secure. I may equip another guitar with these.....

30 seconds into this video and he's already stated at least three reasons why the dunlop solution kinda sucks

"Gotta redrill the hole" who wants to take a drill to a brand new $2k+ guitar? uhm No one I know.

"need to find the right screw driver" strike two..

"has to 'fit' in the hole." sounds like poor engineering

seriously, this isn't rocket science, it's a freaking strap button.

Schallers are hassle free. even use the stock screw if you want. If had them on my oldest gibson since I got it in 95, never have had a single problem with them,

I just don't get why Dunlop insists on making it harder than it needs to be.

I'd suggest the Schaller straplocks, also. I don't know why, but I can't bring myself to trust the Dunlops.

If you're concerned with your skills in changing out parts; it might be work looking to see if you have a local luthier or music store willing to do it for you? Might well have a cost but mitigates the risk.

Me too

I put them on my LP about 33 years ago, and never had and issue. Keep the open part up on the strap.

I also did a post on this not long ago

You'll want to take a small dowel and fill the original hole. The screws on the Schaller are shorter than the original strap buttons and you might want to go longer. So you'll need to hit the hardware store and spend another 99 cents.

Bring the Schaller system with you to the store so you get the right fit.

Let know how it works in 40 years. :D

Me too

I put them on my LP about 33 years ago, and never had and issue. Keep the open part up on the strap.

I also did a post on this not long ago

You'll want to take a small dowel and fill the original hole. The screws on the Schaller are shorter than the original strap buttons and you might want to go longer. So you'll need to hit the hardware store and spend another 99 cents.

Bring the Schaller system with you to the store so you get the right fit.

Let know how it works in 40 years. :D

I don't know about 33 years back, but Schaller now supply 2 sets of screws with the straplock set; one about the same length as the originals, and then a longer set that adds about 10mm to the screw thread (I always use this set). They feel like they're also a half-mil thicker in the thread than stock screws as well, so no need for the dowel when I've done installs before. msp_biggrin.gif

30 seconds into this video and he's already stated at least three reasons why the dunlop solution kinda sucks

"Gotta redrill the hole" who wants to take a drill to a brand new $2k+ guitar? uhm No one I know.

"need to find the right screw driver" strike two..

"has to 'fit' in the hole." sounds like poor engineering

seriously, this isn't rocket science, it's a freaking strap button.

Schallers are hassle free. even use the stock screw if you want. If had them on my oldest gibson since I got it in 95, never have had a single problem with them,

I just don't get why Dunlop insists on making it harder than it needs to be.

Hey Kidblast. I'm the guy who made the video. And that's why I posted it is so people could see what's involved with Dunlops. Anybody who's afraid of screwing up a new guitar should probably do something else like use Schallers or bring it to somebody who's not afraid of doing stuff like this. [thumbup]

OH! I thought that dude looked familiar!

I have dunlops on my ES135, I wasn't too worried about drilling it myself. I put the bigsby on it as well.

This is just my 2 cents, I don't think putting strap locks on an axe should require any more than changing out the stock strap button for the one that uses the lock. that's just me, even though reboring a hole doesn't really concern me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried & used various ‘secure’ straps. Recently, I got a locking Planet Waves one. It is both secure & easy to take on & off. Looks good too. [thumbup]

I also tried another idea called Strap Lox (by Dr No). These are rubbish and should be taken off the market ASAP. They don’t work. [-X

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Nunkie,

I use Jim Dunlop's.... no problems whatsoever, I think both they and the Schaller's are professional solutions. Once you use one of these systems, you stick to it, because one strap fits all your guitars...

The important thing here, is to fit one of these systems, which if fitted correctly, should be on your guitar for the next 40 years.... at least your guitar will not slip off the strap and fall.

As the advice here says, do it gently, and correctly, or find someone who will do it 'professionally' for you. It took me years to find a professional Luthier who knows what he is doing, and takes care doing it. The only problem is that he lives eight thousand miles away! I take all my guitars to him.

Jonathan Law, of Feline Guitars, in Croydon, Surrey, England.

I had to wait a long time before buying my Les Paul, I know how you feel!

Archived