Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson F-5G mandolin

slk

How many of you have an F-5G mandolin and like it? I am currently looking for one. They are far few and between for a used one. I guess people keep them when they get them.

Steve

I just bought one in May of this year. The thing sounds amazing. Dave Harvey tuned. Weird looking wood on the back side, but I knew that when I ordered it.

Tried a few Webers and one Collins. The Webers had a lil more room on the fret board, but the tone didn't have that bark.

I almost returned it, but I could lay 1000 mandolins face down and pick out mine just by looking at the back side.

I like the plainer look of the F5G over the Fern. I'd take a Fern too.

I rarely by used, but good luck on finding a used one you like. They are out there and hold there value really well.

F5G%20front_zpscjaj4drp.jpg

MF%20mandolin%20back_zpsx5dsb5ym.jpg

That is a beauty. I sure like that rich dark shade on them. I am up in the air as to what years to avoid if there are any. I have found a nice 1995 Bozeman made one, but have heard that the newer ones now are fantastic. I have also heard that the Bozeman ones can sound just as good. So there lies the dilemma. What to look for?

Steve

That is a beauty. I sure like that rich dark shade on them. I am up in the air as to what years to avoid if there are any. I have found a nice 1995 Bozeman made one, but have heard that the newer ones now are fantastic. I have also heard that the Bozeman ones can sound just as good. So there lies the dilemma. What to look for?

Steve

I would think the Bozeman year should be fine. My only other mandolin is a Flatiron Performer A model, made at the Bozeman plant.

That Flatiron sound amazing too, but different in tone

I have only owned these 2 mandolins in my lifetime.

Take you time and best wishes in your search

IMG_1577_zpspkul5wpb.jpg?t=1444520643IMG_1576_zpsokqxz5vk.jpg?t=1444520657

I just also want to mention that I have 2 Gibson acoustic made in Bozeman and they are really nice too.

1 is the J-185 and the other is a J45 with the 100 Anniversary sticker.

Like I said I just buy new stuff and keep it forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived