Gibson Brands Forums

You might enjoy this....Doc Watson/Moody Blues

MissouriPicker

I saw Doc Watson do this song when he last came through here in 2010. It was at Johnson County Community College. This old bluegrass picker had several thousand people mesmerized with his stories and guitar playing. Out of the blue, he did an old rock & roll classic that was a very emotional performance. Never expected him to play this. On this video (not the same performance) he looks like he's ready to cry. In Overland Park, Ks. that night, he did cry while singing it. Hope you enjoy this song from one of the masters.

I saw Doc Watson do this song when he last came through here in 2010. It was at Johnson County Community College. This old bluegrass picker had several thousand people mesmerized with his stories and guitar playing. Out of the blue, he did an old rock & roll classic that was a very emotional performance. Never expected him to play this. On this video (not the same performance) he looks like he's ready to cry. In Overland Park, Ks. that night, he did cry while singing it. Hope you enjoy this song from one of the masters.

Totally unexpected, and what a nice find. Like I always say, it's about the material..

Thanks, Larry

Thanks for posting that. I got to see Doc quite a few times but never saw him perform that one. He was a national treasure and the span of years that he lived and the music he was familiar with from those years coupled with his interpretation of that music on a guitar will not be seen in another human, ever. And, it's hard to believe that the Moody Blues aren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

it's hard to believe that the Moody Blues aren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

They aren't?! That is incredible.

I went & had a look - there's no Procol Harum or King Crimson either. Yes is under consideration this year.

or Quicksilver.

or Jack Bruce

and a bunch of others.

They aren't?! That is incredible.

I went & had a look - there's no Procol Harum or King Crimson either. Yes is under consideration this year.

or Quicksilver.

or Jack Bruce

and a bunch of others.

Jack Bruce would have been inducted as part of Cream in 1993. Lots of musicians are inducted as part of groups, but not as individuals.

Jack Bruce would have been inducted as part of Cream in 1993. Lots of musicians are inducted as part of groups, but not as individuals.

Yes - but Clapton is inducted as both.Given that, Bruce deserves an individual spot. A giant talent.

Actually, same for Lou Reed & VU - no John Cale.

BTW, OP - thanks for the Doc Watson clip - never woulda thunk that existed!

Archived