Gibson Brands Forums

Old Girl Goes Electric

BluesKing777

Surely the strings didn't make the vertical groves running from the sound hole to the bridge? They don't line up and they're under the rosette. But I can't figure out what else would do it.

Is it too late to complain to Gibson and send it back??? [laugh]

It is odd, but the fretboard, bridge, nut, headstock plate are all new last year.......the previous fretboard and bridge were like pieces of spongy driftwood. Even weirder - the back, sides, neck are all pretty good. So the wear was only on the front, so human causes or possibly too long in the sun next to a window.

I was worried scratching some of my guitars putting the soundhole pickup in and out, but this one I had to fasten between the scratches and gouges!

When I said it sounds great, I forgot to mention I am running it to my Aura and then my TC helicon - whoever made the guitar would be surprised to see/hear the guitar after processing with vocal harmonies to boot!

BluesKing777.

On another note, BK, I noticed your '37 was lying in a Martin case. Is that a case for a 00 sized 12 fret Martin? I need a hardshell case for my L-00 Blues King and was thinking the Martin might be an option. I was also wondering if I would be able to get a Gibson 00 case now that the L-00 standard is in the lineup and it comes with a hardshell case. Anyone know whether I would be able to order the case only for my guitar?

On another note, BK, I noticed your '37 was lying in a Martin case. Is that a case for a 00 sized 12 fret Martin? I need a hardshell case for my L-00 Blues King and was thinking the Martin might be an option. I was also wondering if I would be able to get a Gibson 00 case now that the L-00 standard is in the lineup and it comes with a hardshell case. Anyone know whether I would be able to order the case only for my guitar?

I have found out the hard way, in this country, the case the guitar comes in is the one you stare at thinking:'WTF?'

The L-0 came in what the seller called a 'valuable' old and really smelly flea infested Martin Thermonuclear case. It went to the kerb on rubbish day to the squeal of brakes from fortuneless fortune hunters! I have a 000-15 and the case fitted nicely, a fraction large, for the L-0... So I hunted down another and got fleeced.

I have a (wonderful) Martin CEO7, which is exactly the same dimensions as the Blues King and L-0, if you can find a case for them, could be helpful.

But after the thread on Hiscox cases, I would just get yourself one of those for your Blues King and you might survive nuclear war together......

BluesKing777.

Nice!

But how about going Old School? Got that Lightnin' Hopkins/Elmore James vibe going down.

DeArmond210-4.jpg

I have a DeArmond on my black hummingbird copy - it was on my LG3 when I bought it, which also has a Fishman u/s so on to the copy Gibson it went. Great rocky acoustic sound, but some hisses and crackles and the various electricals in the house makes the pickup......giggle... I bought a Fishman Blackstack, which is really a updated and humbucking version of the DeArmond.

The Fishy Neo-D in the pics above is easy to put in and out of guitars I dont want to alter and it has nice cork pads to stop scratches in soundholes, and it has a very clean sound.

BluesKing777.

There are two Gibsons on this forum that totally captivate me (even more than my personal guitars!) and this is one of them. The other is I believe owned by zombywolf, a J-50/45 where the bookmatched sides were "incorrectly" installed. But I came here after reading about piezo quack on another posting. bluesking777 what you got is pretty much the rig I settled on for my LG copy Eastman. I liked it so much that I had the guys at Woodsong in Boulder give me a quick plug attachment on the soundhole side of things and run me a line to an endpin jack so I can take it out and then put it back in quickly and cleanly with no cord coming out of the sound hole. I'd a gone the Lightnin' Hopkins route but I was just afraid of having to hassle with old electronics. But what can one say about Lightnin's tone? I bet that little L-0 sounds awesome with that rig though.

Thanks there.

Mountain Picker, if you want the Lightnin' sound for that J50, without hiss and crackle and pop from pickups, the Fishman Blackstack is built just for you! The Neo-D above is very pretty and I run it through an Aura.

The Blackstack, humbucker, no battery, is horrid through the Aura really, but is designed for Lightnin in a tube amp, preferable steam powered! It is wider and hard to put in the soundhole without loosening a few strings. I move the pickups around experimenting......don't want permanent.

I intend to take this one to the friend's house in the mountains soon to run through a 100 watter - I don't want to attract that much attention at home! [mellow]

younger sister 1959 LG3:

LG3-pickup1_zpse2klcowv.jpg

LG3-pickup2_zpszculvgvp.jpg

LG3-pickup3_zpsrvpjvn0h.jpg

BluesKing777.

Thanks there.

Mountain Picker, if you want the Lightnin' sound for that J50, without hiss and crackle and pop from pickups, the Fishman Blackstack is built just for you! The Neo-D above is very pretty and I run it through an Aura.

The Blackstack, humbucker, no battery, is horrid through the Aura really, but is designed for Lightnin in a tube amp, preferable steam powered! It is wider and hard to put in the soundhole without loosening a few strings. I move the pickups around experimenting......don't want permanent.

I intend to take this one to the friend's house in the mountains soon to run through a 100 watter - I don't want to attract that much attention at home! [mellow]

younger sister 1959 LG3:

LG3-pickup3_zpsrvpjvn0h.jpg

BluesKing777.

BK, Do you have any way of knowing if those frets are original? They look more like the ones I associate with 1960's Gibsons.

BK, Do you have any way of knowing if those frets are original? They look more like the ones I associate with 1960's Gibsons.

No idea, sorry Nick. I bought it from Elderly a few years back, on consign - ha ha have to assume the previous owner was being committed..... [confused]

Here is another from Crandall - WARNING - don't look at anything else...Warning Warning, WillR!

http://www.trcrandall.com/instruments/gibson/1959-gibson-lg-3/

BluesKing777.

Now that LG-3 with that sound hole pickup is probably a little more versatile rig than the L-0. About two summers ago I got to see the Amy Helm Band. Her lead guitar player, Dan (can't remember his last name) completely blew me away with his banner LG-2. Scroll down here to the background picture of him under the "Tours" section to see him and his axe:

http://www.amyhelm.com/home/

He could rock and roll his little acoustic guitar like nothing I've seen before, not to mention all the other genres these guys do. If you get a chance check them out. He completely sold me on the versatility of the sound hole pickup approach... and forget about shooting for true acoustic replication. It was all tone. As for sounding like Lightnin' with my own J-50, ain't no one soundin' like Lightnin' 'cept Lightnin' hisself.

Now that LG-3 with that sound hole pickup is probably a little more versatile rig than the L-0. About two summers ago I got to see the Amy Helm Band. Her lead guitar player, Dan (can't remember his last name) completely blew me away with his banner LG-2. Scroll down here to the background picture of him under the "Tours" section to see him and his axe:

http://www.amyhelm.com/home/

He could rock and roll his little acoustic guitar like nothing I've seen before, not to mention all the other genres these guys do. If you get a chance check them out. He completely sold me on the versatility of the sound hole pickup approach... and forget about shooting for true acoustic replication. It was all tone. As for sounding like Lightnin' with my own J-50, ain't no one soundin' like Lightnin' 'cept Lightnin' hisself.

Thanks MP - I will listen later with my iPad - no sound on my work computer! Not even a headphone sound... work is sending me a new computer a couple of weeks ago [confused] but it is delayed while they take all the good bits out!

BluesKing777.

Archived