Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 Custom vs EJ200ce

aerohead

Both guitars are strung with Elixir nano PB 13's. This didn't start off as a showdown but after I recorded both guitars I thought why not splice them together and post on the forum. I apologize for the vocals and the flubs in my performance distracting from the guitars (I am still just learning the song in open G). Also I'm not sure why it came out in a mirror image. It is what it is, I might possibly record just the guitars (minus any vocals in a true showdown) in the future and maybe learn how to splice them together not in a mirror image.

https://youtu.be/Z7ksFJb4KN4

Great song choice (my favorite Stones songs), singing and playing.

I sure can see why the Epi costs a lot less: to me sounds a bit thinny, and that with 13s.

I am sure it's another story plugged in.

However, I'd love to see the same comparison with a maple J-200.

The epiphone sure holds it's own the doesn't it?

Where'd you get the chords for doing this? One of my favorite songs. I've tried it in standard tuning and it's lacking.

Great job!

I dare to say the Epi almost sounds better. The low end on the Gibby will shake your foundation but on this tune you don't use the low E string.

The chords are the same as standard tuning only in open G. G Am 2x G Bm C D.

I dont want to tick off anyone with the Epi... My son owned one and sold it to his friend. It's a ncie guitar. BUTTTT The Gibson sounds so much more full and 3-dimensional.

Yes I agree totally Sal but on this song where the low E string doesn't get played the Epi can run with the Gibby and kind of rings and shimmers more. Haha I said shimmers!

The more familiar you get with playing the song the more confident your performance will get. You've got the basics down. You've got the right emotional tenor when delivering the song, which puts you miles ahead of many professional musicians who mail it in. I can feel your heart invested in the song.

As for the guitars, the Gibby surely has a richness, but as you point out it's not in use in this tuning. What IS interesting is how amazing the Epi sounds in comparison. When you consider the HUGE difference in price, it makes quite a bit of sense to enjoy the Epi and spend the savings on a real Hummingbird. (I have an Epi Bird and it doesn't compare to the real deal.) Or buy an electric and an amp. Or buy a new computer. Or...you get the idea.

Interesting comparison and results. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear you play this song again after a few weeks more of concentrated practice. You've got something here.

I've got one of the Epi EJs and they're really decent guitars. On this video I think the Epi asserted itself well. The main difference I heard was in the note separation. The Epi's sound, especially with the higher notes, seems to run together with the bass and mids and it all gets a little muddled together. Didn't have the clarity of the J200. I could hear the individual strings on the J200, even though it was being strummed. I played my EJ at a church jam two weekends ago and there was a J200 there. The EJ was fine, not the boomer that the J200 maple was, but it you can't expect it to be. We were hammering on the guitars and the J200 had a deeper and wider sound than my EJ. The volume was similar, but the projection of the sound was different in favor of the J200. Still, all things considered, there's not a thing in the world wrong with the EJ. It can produce a lot of volume and it's an easy fingerpicker. If you don't want to go the bucks for the iconic thunder box J200, the EJ200 is a sweet alternative.

1444253866[/url]' post='1700511']

As for the guitars, the Gibby surely has a richness, but as you point out it's not in use in this tuning. What IS interesting is how amazing the Epi sounds in comparison. When you consider the HUGE difference in price, it makes quite a bit of sense to enjoy the Epi and spend the savings on a real Hummingbird. (I have an Epi Bird and it doesn't compare to the real deal.) Or buy an electric and an amp. Or buy a new computer. Or...you get the idea.

Interesting comparison and results. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear you play this song again after a few weeks more of concentrated practice. You've got something here.

Smurf - As good as the Epi sounds I could never part with my Gibby. I scrimped and saved for years and it lived up to everything I hoped it would be and more. The Epi definitely inspires in a different way so there is room for both. It also allows me to leave my Gibson safely at home without missing it too much. Sometimes I jump the gun a little when posting songs on the forum a lot of times before I even have the chord changes down, as in this case. I wanted to compare the recorded difference between both guitars in this tuning and thought I would post a quick comparison. I'll practice and repost once I get it down, if I don't lose interest after learning it. Which happens a lot. Lol!

Guys - Thanks for listening

1444235439[/url]' post='1700417']

I dare to say the Epi almost sounds better. The low end on the Gibby will shake your foundation but on this tune you don't use the low E string.

The chords are the same as standard tuning only in open G. G Am 2x G Bm C D.

What is open G? I've done open D before and DADGAD a little...? Hmmm. Learning something new.

What is open G? I've done open D before and DADGAD a little...? Hmmm. Learning something new.

DGDGBD

Very easy to get to from standard.Here's a song I wrote in open g.I think it was the first video I posted on the forum.Didn't even know how to use the camera as you can tell from the cropping.I've bored a lot of people since that first one [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_jGvCpgbe8

Keith Richards also removed the low E string. I have a Squier Classic Vibe dedicated to getting that Stones sound and I don't think it's possible to avoid playing "Happy" and "Brown Sugar" and "Start Me Up" once you're strapped in. (Though I've seen video of Keith playing Brown Sugar in standard tuning back in the early '70s.)

To the OP: If that Gibby J200 is already yours, I fully understand keeping it. I was speaking more to folks who might not have the cash and who are wondering if the EJ is a decent compromise. If the money don't come easy, it is.

Sorry guys I had to make all my videos private because of some ridiculous troll posting hateful messages. And this is why we can't have nice things! Lol!

It is unfortunate that someone feels the need to use my YouTube videos to spread their hate of my performance as well as wanting me to pass along their messages of hate to other individual forum members.

Select the Video Manager button below your video on the right hand side of the screen.

In the Video Manager, you'll see thumbnails of all your videos. Use the down arrow next to the affected video to show a pulldown menu of options. Choose Info and Settings.

You will be taken to another screen with your video in a larger player window. Below it on the left, the Basic Settings tab is highlighted. Choose the Advanced Settings tab to the right of it, instead. Deselect the Allow Comments box.

Now, no one can leave comments, and you can reset the video for public viewing.

Red 333

Select the Video Manager button below your video on the right hand side of the screen.

In the Video Manager, you'll see thumbnails of all your videos. Use the down arrow next to the affected video to show a pulldown menu of options. Choose Info and Settings.

You will be taken to another screen with your video in a larger player window. Below it on the left, the Basic Settings tab is highlighted. Choose the Advanced Settings tab to the right of it, instead. Deselect the Allow Comments box.

Now, no one can leave comments, and you can reset the video for public viewing.

Red 333

Is this on the YouTube app? I don't see any of that in the YouTube app but I am on my iPhone.

Archived