Gibson Brands Forums

Hum killing devices.

Mr. C.O. Jones

Hi everyone!

First of all, apologies for bringing this up again.

But, I did some research about it, and to be honest I'm a little confused.

The other day as some of you may know I've tried to record some stuff at home.

Wich turned up to be quite annoying, first because I wasn't alone at home and second because of the infamous ground loop hum.

It's an old building I live in, and well yesterday while I was practicing I heard the centrifuge sound of my washing mashine trough my amp's speaker. That hum and some beep's are present through all the outlets and on any device with speakers in my home.

And no, moving isn't an option right now.

And I thought it would be nice to stop that crap. I mean most of the time I just ignore it but I think I would be happier without.

Especially when I crank my amps. And who knows maybe I even want to record something.

Well what I found around the web was interesting, but I have to say I'm no electrician.

Don't know sh** about electricity, but one thing I know for sure it can kill you and your gear.

That's why I wanna keep my things grounded!

That are a few examples of what I found, but I don't really know if it would help in my case.

The first one is really nice, and I would have probably ordered one.

But that little gem only works in the USA.

Then from Germany, the Palmer! (thank's to Bence for discovering that brand)

Look's interesting but I don't know if that would solve my problem.

Don't laugh please, but I don't even know where I should plug that thing in.

Between guitar and amp? Amp and cab? And if it's the second, would that be safe for my amp?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_pli01_line_isolation_box.htm

Or would you choose maybe a power conditioner?

Something like this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/furman_m10x_e.htm

And another for the pedal lovers......

Like I said I'm confused, the only thing I know is I don't like hum!

Hello Marcos!

I don't know what would work in that case. I having this issue too since I moved to my current flat. I can hear a click from the amp every time my neighbor turns up the lights and the amps hum louder than they used too.

I used this for impedance-matching:

5317421_800.jpg

It also has a ground lift built-in, but doesn't do much in this case. Probably, it is for something else.

Keep me up to date please, I am curious is any of the gadgets works.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello again!

The Palmer isolation box isn't for that. It's for matching balanced outputs with unbalanced inputs.

Probably, this is what You are looking for: http://www.thomann.de/gb/ebtech_by_morley_hum_eliminator_2.htm

The Hum Debugger. Please, also note, that pedal is for a problem of a different nature. It won't help with problems of the electrical network. That takes care of microphonic issues of single-coil pickups and the noise generated by overdrive units (and other effects). For that purpose, the best I have ever used is the Ibanez Noise Buster. It cancels the hum without cutting the decaying notes off too early.

Cheers... Bence

Hello again!

The Palmer isolation box isn't for that. It's for matching balanced outputs with unbalanced inputs.

Cheers... Bence

It works well as an isolation box like the name says, and is capable of serving balanced or unbalanced on either input and output. However, the input impedance is 10 kOhms, much too low for passive electric guitars.

I used this for impedance-matching:

5317421_800.jpg

It also has a ground lift built-in, but doesn't do much in this case. Probably, it is for something else.

Keep me up to date please, I am curious is any of the gadgets works.

Best wishes... Bence

It is probably for something else. Not sure though, I didn't find any specs. However, for your LP Recording Low-Z output it should work nicely.

It is probably for something else. Not sure though, I didn't find any specs. However, for your LP Recording Low-Z output it should work nicely.

Hello Capmaster.

Yes, I bought it for the LP Recording, but it can't handle such a low impedance. It is a reamplification box.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Capmaster.

Yes, I bought it for the LP Recording, but it can't handle such a low impedance. It is a reamplification box.

Cheers... Bence

My guess is that the low output voltage could be more of a problem as the low impedance going with it.

My guess is that the low output voltage could be more of a problem as the low impedance going with it.

The Shure A85F matching transformer works well with it. Also, Dad made me an active preamp/booster unit which is even better. :)

Cheers... Bence

P.S.: Sorry Marcos! ;)

Uhhhm? Ok?

Then tell dad to bulild me one too, and I'll just buy a LP Recording!

Hahaahha, joking aside, don't worry Bence.

Now to my hum problem, I guess there will be more researching work here.

At least now I now that some don't work in my case.

The Morley Ebtech unit look's good.

But I have to find out if it's the right for me.

Anyway thank's a lot guy's.

Uhhhm? Ok?

Then tell dad to bulild me one too, and I'll just buy a LP Recording!

Hahaahha, joking aside, don't worry Bence.

Now to my hum problem, I guess there will be more researching work here.

At least now I now that some don't work in my case.

The Morley Ebtech unit look's good.

But I have to find out if it's the right for me.

Anyway thank's a lot guy's.

Hello Marcos!

Regarding the preamp, I am sure Dad is willing to make one for You too. ;) I can only encourage You to buy a Recording. It does everything a regular Les Paul can do, plus much-much more. [thumbup] Your only problem will be remembering all the settings for the infinite number of sounds it can make.

The hum issue. It has been discussed here many times, and I can't really remember of any easy solutions told by experts. If my memory doesn't fails me, they came to the conclusion of fixing the electrical issues of the building... I would be very happy to find out if there is an easy fix.

Good luck... Bence

Oh I really would love to have one of them.

And every time I see yours I fall in love again.

It's a shame but I also have to admit that that's definately to much guitar for a guy like me. At least for now.

The hum? Well sadly my memory tells me the same.

I was just hoping some member with a homestudio or the like would have a magic solution.

Thing's don't work that way.

I have to ask my almost bro in law, he works in a studio as technician and maybe he can help me out.

Anyway if I find a solution I will let you guys know.

Guest Farnsbarns

Try a power conditioner. Likely nothing to do with a ground loop bit rather inadequate noise suppression on your washing machine. You also, based on what you said, have only one ring main for all the power in your house. Unheard of in the UK but not impossible.

Try a power conditioner. Likely nothing to do with a ground loop bit rather inadequate noise suppression on your washing machine. You also, based on what you said, have only one ring main for all the power in your house. Unheard of in the UK but not impossible.

Yeah, I strongly consider one of those, from what I read it may be usefull in my case.

And I don't know about the UK, but here in spain everything is possible.

Thank's Farns!

OK. I don't have anything useful to add to the discussion because I know very little about studio/recording.

But, my eyes must be getting bad. When I first saw the topic, I thought the letter "m" at the end of Hum was a letter r and n next to each other. I thought it said "Hurn killing devices". I was thinking this sounds like something that should be posted on an assassin's forum or something. :unsure: [blush]

Sorry for the derailment. Carry on. [smile]

I thought it said "Hurn killing devices". I was thinking this sounds like something that should be posted on an assassin's forum or something.

Don't worry Satum!

A Hurn can be bucked!

BTW Famsbams has a new arnplifier!

[flapper][tongue]

Oh I really would love to have one of them.

And every time I see yours I fall in love again.

It's a shame but I also have to admit that that's definately to much guitar for a guy like me. At least for now.

The hum? Well sadly my memory tells me the same.

I was just hoping some member with a homestudio or the like would have a magic solution.

Thing's don't work that way.

I have to ask my almost bro in law, he works in a studio as technician and maybe he can help me out.

Anyway if I find a solution I will let you guys know.

I think this is barking up the right tree.

Being a reformed "audiophile", hum or no hum, devices plugged into a circuit can have an effect on anything else plugged into the circuit. So you hear the washing machine? Fixing the issue at the guitar will only help the guitar, but anything else plugged into it, the amp, recording devices, they are still suffering.

A good reliable power conditioner will not only help with the "current" (pun intended) problem in your flat, but anywhere else you might go. And while the washing machine might be the obvious thing you hear now, there are always other things that have a negative effect that isn't always obvious.

I don't know anything about the power or specs for power in Spain, and also obviously don't know what type of power conditioner is good for this issue, so my advice stops here. Except to say, seek that as a solution. Maybe visit a local stereo shop? Guitar shop?

Don't worry Satum!

A Hurn can be bucked!

BTW Famsbams has a new arnplifier!

[flapper][tongue]

Yep. New technologies, new interferences, new challenges. ;)

There's a big advance of Noiseless pickups I guess. They buck hum and hurn as well while humbuckers let pass the hurn. Perhaps we will see sorne new Seyrnour Duncan developrnents addressing the problern. [biggrin]

I think this is barking up the right tree.

Being a reformed "audiophile", hum or no hum, devices plugged into a circuit can have an effect on anything else plugged into the circuit. So you hear the washing machine? Fixing the issue at the guitar will only help the guitar, but anything else plugged into it, the amp, recording devices, they are still suffering.

A good reliable power conditioner will not only help with the "current" (pun intended) problem in your flat, but anywhere else you might go. And while the washing machine might be the obvious thing you hear now, there are always other things that have a negative effect that isn't always obvious.

I don't know anything about the power or specs for power in Spain, and also obviously don't know what type of power conditioner is good for this issue, so my advice stops here. Except to say, seek that as a solution. Maybe visit a local stereo shop? Guitar shop?

+1 to that!

After looking around it seems to be the right way.

It definitely will come handy now and in the future.

I mean there is always another piece of gear that you absolutely NEED, and all of them need power. And many of them will increase the noise.

And then there is another factor, from what I learned it could even make your valves live longer.

And the extra protection is always good, at least in my book.

Furman are THE brand and not out of reach price wise. I'd suggest that's a good start.

It is indeed THE brand.

I really couldn't find nothing negative about their products.

Now I only have to decide the exact model I need.

And the good new's is that they start at a hundred and a few bucks, so I don't need necessarily need to break the bank.

Archived