Gibson Brands Forums

Sinus Surgery, Take 2

SteveFord

My recent sinus surgery was a mixed bag.

I had a really bad sinus infection which started last January and it ended up taking out an upper right hand tooth - it just got all wobbly and then the roof of my mouth was all inflamed.

The oral surgeon yanked it (along with it's neighbor) and then dug a hole to China and packed it with antibiotics. He either went into my sinus cavity or too close and the infection ate through the rest and I ended up with a small tunnel going from my mouth into my sinus cavity.

The ENT fellow sliced out a section of healthy sinus tissue and stitched it over the hole, removed a polyp and some other crap and all was good until the stitches dissolved. The hole did not heal shut and my vision did not return to normal. I was warned about the blurred vision part but it's not as bad as I feared it would be. Eye exam on Saturday...

So, it's off to the oral surgeon in a few minutes to see what magic he can work.

This is starting to get really old but maybe he can fix it once and for all. If not, I think I've got some serious problems on my hands.

It's been a pain, all right. No surgery today but I was given mouthwash with an antibiotic in it and told to try and force it up through the hole.

I return on 11/9 and odds are that's when they'll take a section of my inner cheek and shove it in there and then stitch it in place and that supposedly will take care of the hole once and for all. I sure hope so, I'm tired of this stuff.

I've had two sinus surgeries...the first was to fix a deviated septum that was sustained while trampolining off a bed and the second was for a polyp. Both times, they packed my nose full of dissolvable gauze and it wreaked havoc on my ability to breath, eat, swallow, taste, and anything else that had to do with using your nose.

I feel for you...I hope all turns out well.

I've been a painter and decorator for 41 years and my septum has recently collapsed.I can almost put a finger in one side and go through to the other. I've been and seen a consultant and he said there's nothing they can do as it is most likely from fumes and the blood flow has died! I'm finding with cut back to our NHS system, you just get pushed away unless it's life threatening.

I was warned that the surgery might leave me with permanently blurred vision and that's what happened. I used to be 20/20, now I'm 20/40 and the old eye bones ain't what she used to be for close up, either.

Take my advice, don't get old, it blows dead bears.

On the plus side, blurred vision does make my coworkers look a LOT more attractive than they used to be!

Archived