Gibson Brands Forums

Advise and opinions please

This is probably the wrong part of the forum, sorry if it is.

I have a 1991 LP Standard in Ebony and would like to put a Bigsby on her.

Now I realize this would probably require having holes drilled in her, and although I am not overly concerned about devaluing her as I would never sell her as my now deceased Granddad helped my buy her.

I just would like to know if this is a total no go for a Gibson owner, just because I would like my Rose to look bad a**.

I would get it done properly and wouldn't do it myself or ask a friend, or nail it on.

Am I non deserving of her to want to do this to her?

Hello!

The answer is Vibramate. It allows the installations of a Bigsby unit on a Les Paul without drilling any holes into the top of the guitar.

http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v7-lp-install.php

V7LP-ExplodedView-600.gif

Good luck... Bence

Oh wow! Thank you. I didn't know such a thing exsited. This is a brilliant idea. Thank you so much :)

Oh wow! Thank you. I didn't know such a thing exsited. This is a brilliant idea. Thank you so much :)

Am I correct in thinking I would need the Vibramate V5 or the V7 LP for a 1991 Standard then? I know little about these so all advise is welcomed and needed please :)

Hello!

The V7 is designed for the long-plate unit, while the V5 is for the horseshoe-shaped vibrato.

According to the product page, the long-plate unit is recommended for arch top instruments, like the Les Paul. The V5 with the horseshoe unit is rather for flat tops, like the SG.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello!

The V7 is designed for the long-plate unit, while the V5 is for the horseshoe-shaped vibrato.

According to the product page, the long-plate unit is recommended for arch top instruments, like the Les Paul. The V5 with the horseshoe unit is rather for flat tops, like the SG.

Best wishes... Bence

Thank you for all your help :)

And the beauty of a Vibramate; it's simple enough that, if you're confident; you could fit it and the Bigsby on yourself in an hour. Just make sure you've got plenty or the rubber or felt pads to make sure there is no unwanted metal / guitar contact.

Am I correct in thinking I would need the Vibramate V5 or the V7 LP for a 1991 Standard then? I know little about these so all advise is welcomed and needed please :)

as Bence says you need the V7 with a B7. if you go to Stew Mac you will find a combo kit that has both the V7 and the B7.

this is quite easy to do, the only possible mod is the location of the strap pin on the bottom of the guitar.

you may have to relocate that to make the Bigsby sit properly.

I know when I did this to my 95 standard thats what I did.

Firegirl, Hi,

Your fortunate to have a Standard, especially one you already have sentiment invested in.

As a youngster I loved the look of Bigsbys. I never got one, and I never will now.

1/ It would interfere with my technique.

2/ I no longer like the look.

However... Lots of Gibson users love them, and plenty of them get Bigsbys fitted to LPs. I dont know about the procedure. It probably involves a tourniquet & a general anesthetic (?) [confused]

If you want to treat Rose to a Bigsby, go for it I say. [thumbup]

all the best

-evans

No power tools.

All you should need is a flat head and a phillips screw driver and about 45 minutes.

installation Hint:

do not screw down the vibramates "dog bone" too tight to the top (called that as it looks like a dog bone) Once you remove the stop bar, the bigsgy mount on this) All you need is to just make it kind of sung.

Just keep in mind, that it needs to be able to tilt/swivel a bit to accommodate for the carved top. (Some are more "carved" than others.) so it should not be CRANKED down tight.

I've done this a few times, and there's a few guys here that have done the same, feel free to ask questions as you go along when you get around to doing it.

I was skeptical when I did one of my les pauls, but it worked great with no tuning stability problems when used as intended. (eg: it's NOT a whammy bar)

Archived