Gibson Brands Forums

Please help me narrow down the spec of this Custom

Hello all, and thanks for having me on this great forum :)

What I'd like you to help me with, is to clarify whether this 2002 Custom is a Custom Authentic or if it is a 'plain' 68 reissue.

The serial is 022078 so I believe it is made in 2002. I bought it from Japan and it is slightly different than what I have seen in circulation here in Finland or on (mostly US) forums. Here's a pic of it bone stock:

22040095965_e084ec3a8e_b.jpg

Notice those witch hats (poor pic, sorry). Pickups were 57's I believe - they didn't have any markings underneath. The hardware was evenly dull and sort of grimy - no sign of any discoloration which I usually attribute to playwear. There are some nicks on top and some chipped binding, but the frets are not worn down at all.

21851956520_8a8f03e37d_b.jpg

The finish is very thin - I can clearly see the wood grain pattern by reflection and neck binding stands out noticeably (there's a ridge). I think this is the finish settling into the wood. By far the thinnest finish I've seen on a Gibson.

Some additional pics

21419036873_80868e98f3_b.jpg

22027836502_6807ed7aaa_b.jpg

22050111701_957172255b_b.jpg

Thanks in advance and glad to be here :)

Yours, Antti

Hello Antti and welcome to the Foruns.

Congratulations! Beautiful guitar!

It's not a regular, run-of-the-mill Les Paul Custom. It is a Reissue model - judging from the article seen on the photos. Your description of the finish, leaves no doubt that the guitar received a V.O.S. treatment - slight artificial aging.

It is a '68 Reissue model.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks Bence - I did think the guitar appeared purposefully aged. After reading up on the subject, it seems VOS treatment was applied from 2005/2006 onwards, and up until then aged guitars were called custom authentics? This is a difficult guitar to pin down as it seems Japan got some special specs at some point.

Chunnie - thanks! I bought it from Japan, there are usually a few available used. The 68 reissue model was reintroduced again this year, though specs are not exactly the same.

Hello!

There is no such as "Les Paul Custom Authentic" to my knowledge (and I love Customs very much).

There are regular Customs with modern appointments, and Historic Reissues of years '54, '55, '57, '68 and '74. Also there are some Artist models, limited-runs, and one-offs.

They are all authentic as long as they are made by Gibson. :)

Cheers... Bence

Archived