Gibson Brands Forums

A sad state of affairs

C-RAM

While searching for particulars on a Gretsch G6131MY, I recently stumbled onto the site of 'The Top Guitars Custom Co.' - nope, no typos there, the name of the company and some of the 'Engrish' I came across on some pages led me to believe that this is likely an Asian consortium.

People looking to buy guitars today are increasingly aware of fake/reproduction instruments flooding the market, and apparently one way to get around all of this is to clearly state up front that you are in the business of marketing and selling knockoff guitars.

I didn't spend much time on the site, but the gist of what I saw was a business model of 'creating' just about any kind or model of guitar (and other instruments) you want at relatively cheap prices - it seemed that they were touting the ability for customers to order all kinds of customization and personalizing you simply won't get from a 'name' manufacturer. The biggest incentive to go this route, from the info I saw, was PRICE.

Let me just say I don't approve of or support any kind of business model in this vein, and I found it a little bit shocking that there are people who run ventures like this so openly; it seems to me they are really pushing the envelope as far as skirting legal issues from multiple angles.

I guess what I found most disturbing is that there are enough people to drive such a business as this, people who are satisfied to have a facsimile of a good instrument and yet tout it 'as good as the original' - yes, I did see token testimonials from buyers claiming that their particular instrument was 'amazing, perfect in every detail', et cetera, ad nauseum... you get the picture.

You'd think there would be stronger trade legislation at work in any number of countries to specifically target this kind of mimicry and patent infringement - it disturbs me to see people getting away with this kind of thing. But then again, it speaks volumes about the kind of buyer who willingly supports open fraudulence. :mellow:

There's a real sense of pride and appreciation one receives upon acquiring a fine instrument or collectible - we all know that is something that cannot be faked.

Self-deception of wannabe players is the mainspring I think. Devoted musicians have a different point of view, and I guess the audiences, too. No average listener will care for a guy or girl on stage based on a blatant brand logo.

There are great players on Epiphones as well as on Gibsons, on Squires as well as on Fenders. Furthermore, people experienced in guitars will realize a fake - so what?

and maybe there are kids outside of countries like America and Germany who will never be able to afford the real thing and for whom one of the chinese models their family can almost afford inspires them to play. who knows - maybe in the global market of on-line there are many different puchase motivations.

and maybe there are kids outside of countries like America and Germany who will never be able to afford the real thing and for whom one of the chinese models their family can almost afford inspires them to play. who knows - maybe in the global market of on-line there are many different puchase motivations.

There are PLENTY of ways to get an inspiring guitar into the hands of kids without resorting to forgeries.

It's good to let kids be inspired, but to let them be inspired by forgeries and fraudulent business practices teaches them the wrong things...things that could be more harmful to them (and others) in life than playing or not playing guitar.

It's good to let kids be inspired, but to let them be inspired by forgeries and fraudulent business practices teaches them the wrong things...things that could be more harmful to them (and others) in life than playing or not playing guitar.

I saw a funny twist on this story. My boss had one child. A girl with lots of attitude and very little, if any, talent at sports. The girl had a very controlling mother. The dad was complaining at work because his wife insisted on buying the 12 year old girl hand made figure skates and all the right clothes. The girl was the picture of perfection until she stepped on the ice. There she sucked, big time. When it came to competitions, the mother would drive the two of them 300 miles, stay in a hotel and have room service. Then, when it came time for the girl to step on the ice, the mom would take her kid out of competition for some trumped up reason. Ingrown toenail, or leukemia or something. I would have been happy for the dad if he was able to buy the daughter ersatz skates. It would have saved him a couple hundred bucks and completed the fraud quite nicely.

[biggrin].

Last night my Son (13) comes in and says "Dad, they're changing religious study (cursory 40min/week for 8 weeks subject here) from opt-out to opt-in this year, so I have to decide if I'll do it... what do you think?" to which I answered "well, which religion are they teaching?", he paused for a few seconds and said "Christianity". I sensed that was a valuable few second pause (I truly hope so).

It doesn't take long to find threads where forum members are building their own "Fenders" and putting Fender badges on them. At least this company isn't trying to pass their instruments off as someone else's.

So what's the problem? That they look like Les Pauls? Everyone and their mother makes a guitar that looks kinda like a Paul.

I don't see the big deal.

Self-deception of wannabe players is the mainspring I think. Devoted musicians have a different point of view, and I guess the audiences, too. No average listener will care for a guy or girl on stage based on a blatant brand logo.

There are great players on Epiphones as well as on Gibsons, on Squires as well as on Fenders. Furthermore, people experienced in guitars will realize a fake - so what?

Tell that to Slash and his fanboys.

Archived