Gibson Brands Forums

This is very sad

JimR56

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lefty-Left-Handed-1959-Gibson-L-5-George-Gobel-/221902138943

I couldn't even believe this when I saw it. This was apparently the ONLY left-handed L5CT (George Gobel model) ever made in cherry. I've seen photos of the blond one, which is amazing, but this one was butchered beyond belief. I'm not even left-handed, but... words fail me.

While I usually tend to think that leaving something original is best as opposed to "restoring", in this case, I might be tempted to replace the top. I wouldn't blame someone if they did.

I am not always a stickler for all original, especially in a historical context. During a certain era when they were just used guitars, and also during a certain era when some might modify to make it more useful, that's part of history.

But this...wow.

Good news is it should be pretty cheap if a guy wants an old guitar to fix or modify. But 3500 bucks don't qualify.

there are really talented luthiers out there that could splice a section in.. and it would be almost invisible to the eye.. I had that done to a L5c from 66.. it was a very clean repair and blended out very well..

Archived