Gibson Brands Forums

SJ-100 Walnut 2016 demo!

Jesse_Dylan

Our own Tman has some competition now, from Beardy Brian at Musician's Friend. :)

Nice demo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0qsk6yQpHk

For comparison sake here are a few of his other SJ videos. All the videos definitely have the same vibe and for whatever reason sound a bit different from other SJs in videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqSHyRtOcAI

sapele back/sides (??!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_aLrnvkLdk

maple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu6mo9a0S4A

Adirondack/maple

When watching Tman's video, I thought the SJ-100 Walnut and the SJ-200 sounded quite similar. Here, it sounds totally different from the others. But I think it is down to the playing, and what he plays, and that kind of stuff.

Man, you'd think my life/decision would be getting easier and easier with all this new information, but it's not!

Such a great looking guitar. Now if he just wouldn't rely on his index finger when he played.....just sayin :mellow:

Sounds great. [thumbup] They all do and to me sound very similar. Big super jumbo sound. Love it.

Tough choice Jesse!

Such a great looking guitar. Now if he just wouldn't rely on his index finger when he played.....just sayin :mellow:

Sounds great. [thumbup] They all do and to me sound very similar. Big super jumbo sound. Love it.

Tough choice Jesse!

Ha! Yeah, he does use his index finger way too much! (everyone else is going to wonder what the heckter we're talking about)

Well, at least it gives me another video to watch obsessively :)

The more I hear, the more I see what you're saying about the bass being both tighter and deeper on the walnut. It is subtle, but it's definitely there. I also think we hear again here, as you said and demonstrated in your videos, that the treble is a little more muted on the maple than the walnut. Not in a bad way, just in a demonstrable way.

Ha! Yeah, he does use his index finger way too much! (everyone else is going to wonder what the heckter we're talking about)

Well, at least it gives me another video to watch obsessively :)

The more I hear, the more I see what you're saying about the bass being both tighter and deeper on the walnut. It is subtle, but it's definitely there. I also think we hear again here, as you said and demonstrated in your videos, that the treble is a little more muted on the maple than the walnut. Not in a bad way, just in a demonstrable way.

Holy Moly, I lusted after everyone of them. Bob Dylan lives about 7 miles from here. I'd ask him to sign one but he just never answers my calls. Damn.

Holy Moly, I lusted after everyone of them. Bob Dylan lives about 7 miles from here. I'd ask him to sign one but he just never answers my calls. Damn.

Maybe we can bribe him somehow. I wonder what he likes?? I bet he's got some nice SJ-200s in his archives.

If your SJ-200 was sunburst, and it was still around in a couple months, I'd go for it. Of course, it's not sunburst, so the point is moot--!

Sounds thin to me?

I've noticed that pretty much every Musician's Friend video somehow sound a bit thin. Listen to the 2016 blond SJ-200 video. Does that sound thin to you? To me that one sounds quite thin. But I've definitely heard videos where an SJ-200 sounds full as can be. I actually thought in the context of these videos the walnut sounds thicker and "rounder" if that makes any sense at all... But yeah, is it strange. I don't know if it's their mic, his playing, or what. He's a fantastic player, so I don't know why it would be his playing...

Just got hired for my new job today, and I'm planning to buy either an SJ-100 or SJ-200 around Christmas time! Don't know if I'll be able to decide by then (or ever...!)

Even though they are close, the Dylan edition sounds slightly above others ; full sound, deep bass and we can feel it vibrate through the mic.

Though maybe it is just that musician's friend is not consistent in its mic and recording tweaks.

Sounds thin to me?

It's just a function of the recording, which doesn't have the balance of a real studio job. Light fingerpicking like this is usually going to sound a bit thin unless you really work on the recording details.

Even though they are close, the Dylan edition sounds slightly above others ; full sound, deep bass and we can feel it vibrate through the mic.

Though maybe it is just that musician's friend is not consistent in its mic and recording tweaks.

I'm going for the Dylan one also. And the sapele one a close second.

Could be a function of the recording, or it could be that Adirondack top. Although normally I've heard Adirondack tops are a bit tight and trebly at first compared to Sitka. You'd think with a guitar as big as an SJ-200, tightness of the top wouldn't matter much, but apparently it does.

Watching again, it seems like he's playing stuff on the ebony and Dylan that make use of the low-E. On the standard, he for some reason almost seems like he avoids the low-E.

I wonder if that sapele one is actually sapele or if he was just confused. Has anyone ever heard of Gibson using sapele, much less on an SJ-200? The "trans" models are all still maple. (Edit: Other sites say the SJ-200 Ebony is maple)

Great Demo For me two versions stood out . Firstly the Walnut I would think that this guitar would make a lovely mellow fingerstyle friend when played in , very impressed . But for me the Dylan stood out over the others , just loved the treble response , seemed to have a very fast attack and a wicked bass response , also love the fingerboard inlays . Think I'll have to start saving

Great Demo For me two versions stood out . Firstly the Walnut I would think that this guitar would make a lovely mellow fingerstyle friend when played in , very impressed . But for me the Dylan stood out over the others , just loved the treble response , seemed to have a very fast attack and a wicked bass response , also love the fingerboard inlays . Think I'll have to start saving

Yeah, I think the size of the guitar gives it such a big tone with plenty of bass, and while Sitka might be a little mellower at times, the Adirondack will add a little snap. Nice balance between big size, maple, and Adirondack.

Lol. Well I've had all 4 in the gibson jumbo body and bubinga is my favorite. It has the darkness of rosewood and the dryness of mahogany.

I love walnut though. I had a j60 a hummingbird and a Jackson Browne in Walnut they were all great.

I'd love to try out a Hummingbird in walnut. I played a maple Hummingbird, thinking I would not like it at all. But I loved it. Absolutely amazing. I passed on it because it was rather flashy (the 2014 quilt model) and because I really wanted the classic mahogany and a less bright burst. It was a great guitar, though, and if I were in a position to have a lot of guitars... I would seriously consider owning both. The maple really suits the Bird and the short scale. It was rich, and had this tubby punch to it without being overwhelming.

There is a rather poor video of a walnut Hummingbird on Youtube, but it sounds incredible. I think they should make some budget squares in maple and walnut without the Hummingbird bling. Or maybe I hope they don't!

It's too bad Gibson stopped using bubinga. You weren't a fan of the maple? I think for me, it is going to come down to maple vs. walnut. E.M. Shorts suggested I just buy both from them, compare for a few days, and send one back. I may end up having to do that. Their prices are the best I've seen anywhere and great service. Makes me wish I lived in Wichita or had the time/money/excuse to make a trip.

All 4 fall on good ground here, but Bob and Walnut stand out. They appear looser, Bob almost like torrefried.

I have played both the Bob (a month ago) and the cream-coloured Std. (2 days ago) and Bob totally outshon the blonde beauty.

Double p-guard seems to be no issue - it's just blooms like a midsummer-garden, , , 6 years in the making.

But give that Walnut time and it'll be superb - a very generous, warm acoustic guitar between 2020 and 25. From then on pure magic.

Archived