Gibson Brands Forums

James Taylor/Beatles song on my J15

Avery

Hey Guys,

Been Lurking around this forum for some time, but this is my first post. Anyway, I got a J15 last January, and I love this guitar. Honestly, I don't think you can get a better guitar for that price, and I think it holds its own against many higher priced guitars as well.

This forum seems like a great place where people share their music and such, so I thought I'd post a cover I did. It's a cover of James Taylor's version of "With a Little Help from my Friends". I really dig his version; it has some of the licks that JT does in his other songs. It sounds a bit like Sweet Baby James.

I've only been playing guitar for four years, so I'm not a real player like all of you guys here, so please be forgiving. And the vocal's kinda rough in certain spots. Anyway thought I'd share it, and tell me what you think!

Wonderful. Your voice really has the right timbre for JT songs. Taylor has a very unique way of working the interior voiceings of his chords. Here's a site where JT actually walks thru some of his stuff. I am too old with too many ingrained bad habits - but you seem to be right at that stage where an impression or two from Taylor could be embraced. http://www.jamestaylor.com/guitar-lessons/

Outstanding! You do have a Taylorish voice and like the timing of the playing. Great looking and sounding guitar.

Here's a random statement: there is a song by the Decemberists called Avery. They are an acoustic heavy band(if you're not familiar). You ought to learn it. [biggrin]

Wonderful. Your voice really has the right timbre for JT songs. Taylor has a very unique way of working the interior voiceings of his chords. Here's a site where JT actually walks thru some of his stuff. I am too old with too many ingrained bad habits - but you seem to be right at that stage where an impression or two from Taylor could be embraced. http://www.jamestaylor.com/guitar-lessons/

Thanks! I always enjoy checking out your original songs. I'll check out the link you posted. I learned this song from this great site called "Jerry's Guitar Bar". He gives you note-for-note directions on how to play all of this old singer-songwriter stuff. And at least now, I'm at a point in my playing where detailed direction is always welcome. I've checked out JT's personal lessons on his youtube channel. For me, they're helpful once I've already learned the song. Then I can see how he'll play a lick in a different way, or do some extra hammer-ons pull-offs etc. and change it up a bit from the original recording.

Outstanding! You do have a Taylorish voice and like the timing of the playing. Great looking and sounding guitar.

Here's a random statement: there is a song by the Decemberists called Avery. They are an acoustic heavy band(if you're not familiar). You ought to learn it. [biggrin]

Thanks for the compliment! Really appreciate it, Tman. Will check out "Avery".

Hey guys,

Been away from the computer and the internet for some time, so sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, but thanks for taking the time to check out my cover and leaving the feedback! All of you, I really appreciate it. All of you guys are really encouraging and welcoming. And I love checking out all of your music too! Playing guitar and singing is an awesome way to spend some time, but it's even better when you can share it with other people.

1444520621[/url]' post='1701577']

Hey guys,

Been away from the computer and the internet for some time, so sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, but thanks for taking the time to check out my cover and leaving the feedback! All of you, I really appreciate it. All of you guys are really encouraging and welcoming. And I love checking out all of your music too! Playing guitar and singing is an awesome way to spend some time, but it's even better when you can share it with other people.

Your last sentence here is a simple obvious and great truth. Amen.

Archived