Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul - 4 wires from the toggle need id for two of them

gregggyf

Good Afternoon,

I have a Les Paul Classic and I am in the process of upgrading the electronics within it.

The problem is I neglected to note where certain wires were disconnected from.

I am referring to the wires from the 3 way toggle switch. From the fast research from the net I see that the:

Black goes to ground

Red goes to the output

I do not know where the White or the Green wires connect to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Greg

Generally speaking, there will be one (+)wire each from each pickup, to the switch, and from the switch a (+) and (-) to the output jack.

As stated above, the wires from the pickups are not directly from the pickups, but from the volume pot associated with each of the 2 pups.

With the 4 wire harness Gibson uses, the ground wire (-) mentioned above (which is the green you are referring to), that wire is usually connected to a ground, and the ground connected to the (-) of the jack.

If there is a 5th wire, or a bare wire, or a shield that is connected, it is sometimes connected at both ends along with the ground(green), and sometimes connected to just the ground in the control cavity.

EDIT: substitute "green" above for "black". Can't remember which is correct, or the Gibson way, but whatever you are connecting to the ground, that's the ground- green or black.

Thank you very much for your reply Farnsbarns and Stein.

I would like to refine my question now. Since I have not "manipulated" my toggle switch,... what I would like to know is, using Gibson's color scheme,

Does the white wire connect to the bridge volume or neck volume?

Thank you very much again.

Greg

Archived