Gibson Brands Forums

How much does your acoustic "dred" weigh?

Zippydog

I realize that wood selection, electronics and finish contribute to over all weight, but what does an average full size acoustic guitar weigh?

Do heavier guitars sound different than lighter ones?

My DR 500 seems very light in fact I tried to weigh it on an old school bath scale and it wouldn't even register.

Feels like it might weigh about 3-4 pounds.

I realize that wood selection, electronics and finish contribute to over all weight, but what does an average full size acoustic guitar weigh?

Do heavier guitars sound different than lighter ones?

My DR 500 seems very light in fact I tried to weigh it on an old school bath scale and it wouldn't even register.

Feels like it might weigh about 3-4 pounds.

According to their spec. material they rate the DR500mce @ 5.1 lbs.

Gibson J-40 1971 4.2

Gibson Hummingbird 12/3/2001 4.8

Gibson SJ-200 7/5/2003 4.8

Aria M-100 Classical Guitar 3.2

Guild F-212XL STD 6/14/2011 5.2

Guild D-55 with DTAR 7/17/2013 5.2

Guild F-30 Aragon with DTAR 6/14/2012 4.2

Guild F-47 RC with DTAR 7/14/2011 4.6

Ovation Ovation Applause 1994 4.6

I've not weighed mine, and not to generalize but I've usually found that the lighter a guitar is, the better it sounds.

According to the web my EJ160e weighs 5 lbs - my fake Terada J200 is a bit lighter even though it is much bigger...

• 2 years later...

THREAD RESURRECTION:

I just pulled the LR Baggs Element out of my already lightweight Gibson J35. I weighed it and its roommate on the digital scale.

2014 Gibson J35 mahogany/Sitka: 3.80 lb

2016 Larrivee SD40 mahogany/Sitka 12 fret: 4.33 lb

Not sure this helps, but:

bought an Epi dr100 a few years ago as a "beater" guitar (hey, it was $100, okay). Epi says the weight is between 4 and 6 lbs.

Also have a Masterbilt AJ500M, but don't know the weight. Does it really matter? How does it sound?

....my fake Terada J200 is a bit lighter even though it is much bigger...

If you get a chance, can you tell us more about this? I'd love to see a picture, too, of you have one. I'm guessing it's pretty similar to the Elite/Elitist version, no?

Thanks!

Red 333

Sorry Red not sure if that works but a search of the forum should bring up that old post. It has some pics of your amazing collection too!

Thanks, Dodger. I hadn't remembered that. I suspect yours is pretty similar to my Elitist, which is a very fine sounding guitar.

Red 333

Archived