Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pickup not "loud" enough?

JeroenKortleven

So I got this vintage LP Custom, i had to replace the bridge pickup, everything is soldered on the right place but the pickup just isn't giving as much power as before.

No more feedback when I hold it close to the amp... Is it because this pickup is wax potted and maybe the vintage pickup wasn't ? I've checked for cold solder joint and it's not out of phase or whatever.

help me out please :-)

Guest Farnsbarns

Probably just a lower output pup if you're sure everything g is connected correctly.

Check the dc resistance of the new pups verses the old. Wax potting will affect feedback threshold but not the output.

Also pup height makes a difference, of course.

ok so it looks like you have a 4 wire pickup. looks like you tied the green/white together under the tape, and the red goes to volume and the black goes to the pot case.

that how you wired it?

(the other pickup looks like a standard 3wire braded lead cable)

gibson-color-code.jpg

ok so it looks like you have a 4 wire pickup. looks like you tied the green/white together under the tape, and the red goes to volume and the black goes to the pot case.

that how you wired it?

(the other pickup looks like a standard 3wire braded lead cable)

correct!

So is that wrong or right?

Guest Farnsbarns

Who made your new pickup?

My thoughts exactly. It looks a mess but assuming the colours follow Gibson's it should work as is.

JeroenKortleven - Your in luck that Searcy is in the thread. He's the resident pickup expert. Do whatever he says.

My thoughts exactly. It looks a mess but assuming the colours follow Gibson's it should work as is.

JeroenKortleven - Your in luck that Searcy is in the thread. He's the resident pickup expert. Do whatever he says.

You're too kind sir.

If the pick up was made by Gibson or copies Gibsons colorcode then it should work. However if it is made by Seymour Duncan or copies his colorcode then it wouldn't work. So we need to know who made the pick up before we can decide if it's been wired right.

You're too kind sir.

If the pick up was made by Gibson or copies Gibsons colorcode then it should work. However if it is made by Seymour Duncan or copies his colorcode then it wouldn't work. So we need to know who made the pick up before we can decide if it's been wired right.

It's an original Gibson pickup.. It works however i'm not getting any more feedback when I hold it close to my amp on a loud volume setting.. It did give me feedback with the old pickup..

Guest Farnsbarns

It's an original Gibson pickup.. It works however i'm not getting any more feedback when I hold it close to my amp on a loud volume setting.. It did give me feedback with the old pickup..

Is it just a change to feedback or volume too. If it's just feed back it could be wax potting vs no potting but if it's a dramatic drop in volume that maybe a problem. It really depends on what pup you took out and what pup you've put in.

Is it just a change to feedback or volume too. If it's just feed back it could be wax potting vs no potting but if it's a dramatic drop in volume that maybe a problem. It really depends on what pup you took out and what pup you've put in.

slight volume change as well, original pickups are from 87" , it's a LP custom from 87", and now theres a gibson 498t pickup in it.

slight volume change as well, original pickups are from 87" , it's a LP custom from 87", and now theres a gibson 498t pickup in it.

Can't say what the "problem" is, or if there even is one.

Couple things: Feedback, pups aren't SUPPOSED to feed back. If the one you had before had a tendency to do such, and you want that, then you are going to have to put some effort into finding one that will. As in, a non-wax potted one, and even then, an individual pup that maybe has a tendency to feed back.

As for a SLIGHT volume change, that could easily be the pup height. It could be the neck pup needs to be lowered. That, sir, is actually a constant with a lot of Gibbys. Sometimes to get both pups sounding at the same volume, the neck pup has to drop way down. That's one reason Gibby usually makes pups of different outputs for the neck and the bridge.

As for slight changes pup to pup: it's normal for different models of pups to have different outputs and sounds. Kinda surprised the 498t doesn't seem as loud as what was in there, but still.

If there IS an actually issue somewhere, causing the output to be low, I can't tell from this side of the keyboard. But maybe some of the above might help.

Feedback from a pickup is not the same thing as feedback from a guitar.

Pickup feedback is a high pitched and non musical screech that sounds like holding an open mic in front of a speaker. This is caused by loose winding in the coil of the pickup and is cured by wax potting.

Guitar feedback can be a more musical sound and is caused by the strings of the guitar being vibrated into motion by the sound coming from the speaker and causing a loop that, with practice can be controlled. Wax potting has no effect on this type of feedback at all.

I would start by adjusting the pickup height first. Raise it up as close to the strings as you feel comfortable doing and see if you like the result.

Feedback from a pickup is not the same thing as feedback from a guitar.

Pickup feedback is a high pitched and non musical screech that sounds like holding an open mic in front of a speaker. This is caused by loose winding in the coil of the pickup and is cured by wax potting.

Guitar feedback can be a more musical sound and is caused by the strings of the guitar being vibrated into motion by the sound coming from the speaker and causing a loop that, with practice can be controlled. Wax potting has no effect on this type of feedback at all.

I would start by adjusting the pickup height first. Raise it up as close to the strings as you feel comfortable doing and see if you like the result.

That's good info right there.

Never been into feedback, personally, MY "skill" at controlling it has more to do with holding the strings or using the volume control to keep things from feeding back when it gets too loud.

So...thinking back, it seems more often than not, it's more certain amps used, and then certain guitars used with certain amps, which makes sense with what you are saying.

Then as far as certain guitars, sometimes a pup swap makes things better. But those pups, taken out and into a drawer, seem to be fine later on into another guitar. Never gave it much thought, except to "believe" that some pups just had a tendency to feedback more than others (sort of like tubes). Never came across a pup that I considered defective in that way.

That's good info right there.

Never been into feedback, personally, MY "skill" at controlling it has more to do with holding the strings or using the volume control to keep things from feeding back when it gets too loud.

So...thinking back, it seems more often than not, it's more certain amps used, and then certain guitars used with certain amps, which makes sense with what you are saying.

Then as far as certain guitars, sometimes a pup swap makes things better. But those pups, taken out and into a drawer, seem to be fine later on into another guitar. Never gave it much thought, except to "believe" that some pups just had a tendency to feedback more than others (sort of like tubes). Never came across a pup that I considered defective in that way.

The problem is, I put the same kind of pickups in another LP custom and they still sound exactly the same as the ones that were in it before.

Guest Farnsbarns

The problem is, I put the same kind of pickups in another LP custom and they still sound exactly the same as the ones that were in it before.

Not entirely relevant. Every pup is different to some degree. What pup came out of the other custom? And what pup came out of this one? They won't have been identical even if they were the same model and the ones you've put in won't be identical.

Perhaps there's a transition resistance in the bridge PU's volume pot or the toggle switch. I had to deal with things like these, typically on toggle switches of brand-new (!) Gibsons, and once on a pot of a Gibson less than three years old.

With the volume pot fully raised, the resistance should read very close to zero measured between hot and center legs. The resistance between the volume pot's center leg and the hot output jack leg should also read zero Ohms with the toggle switch in Treble and center position.

If not, appropriate use of contact cleaner can be of help. It did the trick in all of my cases.

Archived