Gibson Brands Forums

What's this world coming to?

TommyK

Our local university was just one of several to receive a bomb threat Thursday. Must be mid-terms. All, it appears, were hoaxes. Someone trying to delay the inevitable mid-term exam, or whatever.

I guess this is a brave new world we just have to learn to deal with. Our local Univ. Police handled it with aplomb. I'm sure threats like this come in on a daily basis, so, for some reason, they determined this to be credible. By my count 17 different jurisdictions from State Police to County and the local jean-d-arms helped in 'sweeping' buildings, and crowd control.

Some kids picked up that night by parents and taken home. Night classes canceled, approx 20,000 students rousted out of their dorms to stand in the rain until the basketball arena was cleared, then opened to them to get in out of the weather. (about a 45 minute wait). Last of the dorms given the all clear by 11pm. Campus probably didn't settle down 'til mid-night. Classes resumed next day, but some departments allowed excused absences for the day, i.e. make-up exams or late home work were to be offered where necessary.

Most likely, the threat came in on social media, so tracking down the perp should be easier than back in the day of anonymous pay phones.

Is it just an increase in incidence or just increased traditional and social media coverage?

In the fall of 1976, my junior year in high school, there were bomb threats almost daily for about three weeks. There were times when we wouldn't even get settled into home room at 8:25 when the announcement would come over the PA. When I was in junior high when we would get bomb scares and we would get loaded onto buses and shlepped offsite while the school was checked out. That would take an hour or so. I have no idea how a three story school building, unsecured in 1974, could have been checked out in that amount of time. The high school wasn't a lot different but they opted to just send us home.

Seems like someone did blow up a small equipment shed used for athletic equipment storage...can't recall if that was then or another time. They DID catch that guy, Brian B. He bought beer for Debbie and me on graduation night in '78.

A shed blown up in Caribou, Maine in 1975....dig it.

When I was in high school in the mid 80s there were bomb threats called and every midterm. If it took the fire department more than 30 minutes to clear the building we got to go home for the day. Nothing new except for the hyper hysterical media coverage these days.

Yes, I remember some bomb threats at my high school too. We were let out at first for a while so police could go through the entire building, then later, we waited out side while they went in and searched. Then went back in! Nothing's new under the sun.eusa_boohoo.gif

Nothing new except for the hyper hysterical media coverage these days.

I'm gonna go with this here.

Gonna add that another difference might be is we have gotten more "yellow".

In the past, little was made of such stuff, and we chose to lean on the side of getting on with life. More and more, we seem to crave reporting crimes and terrorism and saying "this is getting worse-something MUST be done".

This country, America, is STILL one of the safest places a citizen or a resident or a visitor can be. But even at that, I prefer that we get back to being known as "The home of the brave", and lean toward acting like it.

We had a bomb scare at our college where I work last year.

When stuff like that happens these days I head to my car and go home. I will not meet in the common area where all the faculty/staff and students are supposed to go.

You just can't be too careful these days, and I really don't want to a sitting duck in a crowd of many.

This summer the FBI picked up a Alexander Ciccolo, in the next town over. I didn't know who he was or have I ever heard of him, but his plans were to attack a major University . Might have even been with a pressure cooker style bomb.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/terror-task-force-arrests-massachusetts-man-on-weapons-charges/34133838.

I have two work assistants that work with me part time, and one of the first things we did was to cover all the possible safe zones in the building. By safe zones, I mean places were doors automatically lock and no one can get in. We covered all exits and escape routes including the roof and exit and hallways that could be a trap in the event of something bad.

I today's age we can not be to careful or aware of our surroundings.

Even when a fire alarm goes off these days, it might be a trick.

I received a phone call from the school principal saying my son was in the office and the police had been called. There was a rumor that my son had a gun.

I dutifully went to the office and confessed that my son and I had made "potato guns" out of 3 inch plastic drain pipe. I didn't tell them the gun was powerful enough to shoot a potato 200 yards.

<...>

Is it just an increase in incidence or just increased traditional and social media coverage?

I think both.

And I think a lot of it is spurred by the "Hate" culture on political media disguising as news and commentary.

Insights, incites, and unscientific personal observation by Notes

I'm gonna go with this here.

Gonna add that another difference might be is we have gotten more "yellow".

In the past, little was made of such stuff, and we chose to lean on the side of getting on with life. More and more, we seem to crave reporting crimes and terrorism and saying "this is getting worse-something MUST be done".

This country, America, is STILL one of the safest places a citizen or a resident or a visitor can be. But even at that, I prefer that we get back to being known as "The home of the brave", and lean toward acting like it.

Posted Today, 10:22 AM

and from Notes_Norton:

<...>

I think both.

And I think a lot of it is spurred by the "Hate" culture on political media disguising as news and commentary.

Insights, incites, and unscientific personal observation by Notes

Couldn't agree more with you both!! Having been in law enforcement for my career I'd say you both have nailed this on the head.

There are reasons behind it and my opinion of those reasons would not be "P.C." or appropriate here...

Brian (Conservative / Hippie / Musician dichotomy wrapped in enigma...)

The least "P.C." you will find in "politics" nowadays. The most personally disordered rule, they use euphemisms for slavery and dictation of high finance, and there seem to be next to no halfway decent armies anymore in the "globalized" world. I think any halfway decent army has its sealed brown envelopes for performing an army coup, and halfway decent Commanders in Chief knowing when to trigger them.

Turkey for example did well the last few decades with an army coup about every seven years. I guess the world would be a better place if army coups happened regularly in every country around the Earth.

As a German I feel ashamed that the very last one here, the highly modified Operation Valkyrie on 20 July 1944, failed badly. And yes, I feel ashamed there didn't happen any between 1990 and now. Three of them would have been helpful here I think, and three army coups per country since 1990 would have made the world a much better place. I hope the number of armies with sealed brown envelopes for performing effective army coups will increase soon and as even as possible all around our Mother Earth.

Just my two cents...

The least "P.C." you will find in "politics" nowadays. The most personally disordered rule, they use euphemisms for slavery and dictation of high finance, and there seem to be next to no halfway decent armies anymore in the "globalized" world. I think any halfway decent army has its sealed brown envelopes for performing an army coup, and halfway decent Commanders in Chief knowing when to trigger them.

Turkey for example did well the last few decades with an army coup about every seven years. I guess the world would be a better place if army coups happened regularly in every country around the Earth.

As a German I feel ashamed that the very last one here, the highly modified Operation Valkyrie on 20 July 1944, failed badly. And yes, I feel ashamed there didn't happen any between 1990 and now. Three of them would have been helpful here I think, and three army coups per country since 1990 would have made the world a much better place. I hope the number of armies with sealed brown envelopes for performing effective army coups will increase soon and as even as possible all around our Mother Earth.

Just my two cents...

:unsure:

I'm not sure if you're German, and no offense intended if you are, but I never thought I'd actually hear a German say that. We don't have that in the US. The Army can't do that. And we still don't regard the opinions of Germans that highly when it comes to armies and coups and stuff. It'll still be another few hundred years before that happens.

:blink:

Just my two cents...

I really don't know man......

Call me dreamer, or a stupid..... or whatever.......

I know many of you will disagree but I think without army's the world would be a better place for sure.

But sadly the biggest moneymaker on this rotten planet is war.

The day that human's stop fight each other for territory or religion, that will be the day when one could call us evolved.

Until then I see only a bunch of tech-apes with skill to kill.

Archived