Gibson Brands Forums

STD and Less Plus 2015

merciful-evans

re: 2015 Les Paul Standard and 2015 Les Paul Les Plus

Following on from my posts in the 'Sprint Run' thread.

Following a quick try (for handling only - unplugged) on Saturday, I returned (to Nevada Music) today for a proper try of both the 2015 LP STD and the Less+.

Only an unfamiliar Orange amp was available to tryout the guitars on.

At first I tried the STD. It was in an open tuning and stubbornly remained there until the shop assistant 'assisted it' into concert for me.

The G-Force tuners were a bit annoying to be honest, but I told myself it was just because they were unfamiliar.

I also asked the tech to add a little relief to the neck as it was straight & the upper frets were buzzing. He returned it properly adjusted.

All four knobs have a push pull function. The volumes are coil taps, one tone is phase inversion (for middle PU position) and the last one I couldnt figure out. It turned out to be a cancel-all & return to bridge PU. I struggled to find a usable sound and after 20 minutes gave it up as a bad job.

I reasoned that the amp was responsible & regretted not bringing my own amp along.

I then tried the Less Plus. I was stunned to find a wonderful tone immediately. The difference was amazing. Only the action was a little high for perfect playing, but it was the tone that kept me playing.

I knew the STD had Burstbucker Pros installed, but couldnt recall what the Less+ had. It turned out they were '57 classics. The same PUs as in my ES-339. My 339 sounds great but not like that at all.

There was nothing for it but leave the guitars there and determine to return with my amp at a later time. That will be next Monday.

The only other small worry was there were indeed ruts worn into the brass zero fret. It was more noticable on the STD. The assistant was probably right when he suggested it might be due to wear brought about by the G-Force tuners. Sounds likely. I tried many string bends close to the nut and only by tryng very hard was I able to pull the B string out of its 'rut'. When this happened, it was not audible. For my playing, this should not be a major problem.

The STD is prettier, due I think to the more unusual Wine Red Candy finish.

(my image links are forbidden for some reason)

The Less+ is in Fireburst.

The wider necks on both were excellent. I hope the wider neck option will be available in some model after this year.

Id love a Less Plus...

They made a nice Goldtop version and the Black Beauty one is pretty cool too.. Ohh and the darkburst one [rolleyes] :)

All the tone, none of the back ache ;)

(I just don't want a 2015 cos I don't want the big neck, but that's me)...

The wider necks on both were excellent. I hope the wider neck option will be available in some model after this year.

I think that is actually the major thing about the "2015 debacle". The neck, I feel, is highly subjective. You either like it, think it's meh or you hate it from the bottom of you heart.

For myself I love the 2015 neck. It just feels right.

A lot of 2016 spec is released through resellers but it's weird nothing has been posted on gibson.com yet. There is also rumours about a split in two lines, one traditional and one modern.

If that is true it would mean the 2015 type being the modern one and the previous ones being the traditional.

So we'll see.

I did test the Less+ when I bought my 2015 Classic. But it felt really weird with such a slim body. But the neck felt great and the pickups are the same as the Studio and the Classic. Great pickups as they are not so hot and can drive

a tube amp nicely with just the attack of my fingers.

Hope to read more about your findings.

i never tried a less plus altough i wanted to buy it but instead for some reason i bought the 2015 lp traditional to be honest the 2015 line up is one of my favorites i wait for the price dropping and will buy the classic and less plus later :)

i never tried a less plus altough i wanted to buy it but instead for some reason i bought the 2015 lp traditional to be honest the 2015 line up is one of my favorites i wait for the price dropping and will buy the classic and less plus later :)

Im waiting to see where the price ends up on the 2015 Les Paul Less +. Really a fantastic guitar. [thumbup]

A lot of 2016 spec is released through resellers but it's weird nothing has been posted on gibson.com yet. There is also rumours about a split in two lines, one traditional and one modern.

yes... I too find this very odd...

They have been out for a couple of months, every music shop has the details yet Gibson don't release the info on their own site... surely a web site is one of the best places to advertise yet they don't?

VERY weird if you ask me.

They may very well be waiting for Winter NAMM in January to release full details?

For me the price has to drop to that point where I could buy a new headstock overlay (maybe with crown inlay), wire, pio cap's, pot's, tusq nut and Kluson's and still pay less then for a 2016 model.

That would be a nice project to work on.

Hmmm.....maybe it's time to get the calculator, the Less Plus always looked really nice to me, or a double cut or an SG.

If I can get used to my girlfriends Alhambra (flamenco guitar) neck, maybe after some time I probably wouldn't notice the extra widht that much.eusa_think.gif

yes... I too find this very odd...

They have been out for a couple of months, every music shop has the details yet Gibson don't release the info on their own site... surely a web site is one of the best places to advertise yet they don't?

VERY weird if you ask me.

They may very well be waiting for Winter NAMM in January to release full details?

OR...maybe they're embarrassed, at the dismal sales year, that 2015 was for them, and trying to sell off as much 2015 stock

as possible, before (officially) announcing the new 2016 models??? Or, don't want to admit to our "We told you so," from

their customers. But, some of us needed a "break" from our LUST, for Gibby's, for awhile! Now that we've had that, we can

enthusiastically go back to it! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

Checked Amazon this morning to find the Fireburst Less+ at £768. I have just ordered it. Its due to arrive Saturday. As soon as I had ordered it dropped another £6 to £762. Its fascinating to see how low it can go. :-k

I would not normally order a Gibson by mail order as the quality varies so much. If it turns out to be a poor one I will simply return it. So its a calculated risk. I would've preferred to buy at the shop, but at they are asking £221 more.

So far its down to 49% reduction on list price. For 2 days Amazon had 6 of these guitars and no-one had bought one. I think its because it doesnt seem straightforward to find on their site. A quick search brings up all Les Pauls. When finally finding the LESS+ they show the Cherry Burst £1064 (the desertBurst is £993). You just have to keep searching.

Special thanks must go then to Rabs who did the same donkey work and was kind enough to alert me. =D>=D> =D>

So anyway, there are now 5 Firebursts left.

Checked Amazon this morning to find the Fireburst Less+ at £768. I have just ordered it. Its due to arrive Saturday. As soon as I had ordered it dropped another £6 to £762. Its fascinating to see how low it can go. :-k

Does that mean you went back to the store with your amp?

Your findings.....?

Does that mean you went back to the store with your amp?

Your findings.....?

I had a day owing to me, so I have the day off. I did return to the store, though not with my amp. Its a bit complicated...

I also wanted to compare my amp to the Orange one that sounded good. I think its a TH30C. Since I know what my amp sounds like with my other guitars, I took another guitar along instead to compare guitar sounds through the Orange. I took the ES-339 which has the same pickups as the Less+.

Though the Orange, the guitars do sound different, but not as much as I had thought. The 339 sounded good but I still prefer my own rig. To be absolutely sure I tried a couple of other tube amps. A Fender Blues Junior III and a Vox AC10C1.

I preferred the Vox to both other amps, but still think mine has the edge. So I satisfied myself that I dont need another amp to get the best out of the guitars. I feel confident that the Less+ will sound excellent through my gear, especially with the coil taps. The 339 doesnt have that.

I would not normally order a Gibson by mail order as the quality varies so much. If it turns out to be a poor one I will simply return it. So its a calculated risk. I would've preferred to buy at the shop, but at they are asking £221 more.

So far its down to 49% reduction on list price. For 2 days Amazon had 6 of these guitars and no-one had bought one. I think its because it doesnt seem straightforward to find on their site. A quick search brings up all Les Pauls. When finally finding the LESS+ they show the Cherry Burst £1064 (the desertBurst is £993). You just have to keep searching.

Special thanks must go then to Rabs who did the same donkey work and was kind enough to alert me. =D>=D> =D>

So anyway, there are now 5 Firebursts left.

Nice one man [thumbup]

As I said its only a good thing for wide neck lovers... :) you guys are getting gifts....

Look forward to hearing what turns up... and of course seeing pictures :)

Another has been sold (4 left) and the price has now RISEN to £831

Nice one man [thumbup]

As I said its only a good thing for wide neck lovers... :) you guys are getting gifts....

Look forward to hearing what turns up... and of course seeing pictures :)

Its similar to a PRS width. Its thicker than PRS though.

Yes, I'd like to make a brief recording. I forgot my soundcloud details a couple of years ago. I suppose I could start another? Or is there an easier way?

Rick,

Good to hear the endorsement. What finish did you get?

I bought the desert burst. And get this ..... GC has 36 month, 0% financing on all Gibson gear through the month of October. I figured why not use their money instead of mine. Just makes the deal that much better.

As soon as I got home with the Less Plus, I called Gibson, and had them send me the new upgraded nickel plated nut. Once again, I love this guitar.

ok got it at 3.30pm

Seems very good. It handles better than the one in the shop. I'm pleased.

I had to raise action slightly. Hope these links work ok

Its Fireburst. Would have preferred Desertburst but that wouldve added a lot more onto the cost.

I may have to re-record a better sound sample. This was recorded straight into my laptop (not via my studio). Got my Soundcloud back ok. Uploaded ok, but no matter what I do this board will not permit me to use it (tried media , link and direct - all forbidden. why?)

The photo in the case was unexpected. I got a different sort of 'pack' with the Memphis guitar, I guess Nashville do it differently. I am assuming

the pic is the guitar on the bench of the quality controller?

The photobucket pics are forbidden also. I tried to upload them but the files were too big (yes I did reduce them for web use in pshop) . Looks like I need some help, or Ive wasted the last few hours needlessly.

Well with photobucket don't use the insert media button... Copy the IMG link it gives you in to your post....

And sound cloud, I cant think of any reason that wouldn't work... Don't use the media links it gives you on souncloud just copy the web address when you are viewing a track and again copy that in the post....

Archived