Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Try the New Gibson Instrument Cables?

RevDavidLee

I bought the 12' one because it's the cheapest - if you can call $54.59 (open box returned item price) cheap. [crying] Regular price is $59.99 so I saved a whopping $5.40. Hmmm.. [mellow] However if you buy the very same cable through the Gibson store - it's $68.99 [confused]

GibsonCable_zpstpvzlwsw.jpg

Here's the marketing department verbiage for your enjoyment:

Product Description

"The Gibson Pure 12’ Premium Instrument Cable is made with a stranded oxygen-free copper conductor and military-spec 24-carat gold over nickel 1/4" plugs, with pure copper tips to get your tone from guitar jack to amp or effects jack in pristine condition. Beyond that, we use a densely braided 95%-copper shield with a totally re-invented dielectric insulation, with an additional semi-conductive PVC shield between inner and shielding cables to virtually eliminate noise from static electricity, electro-magnetic fields, and handling, especially effective through high-gain amps. To top it all off, we terminate one end in a newly redesigned silent plug that lets you plug and unplug your guitar with no pop or noise from the amp. Compared to other high-end cable competitors Gibson Pure Instrument Cables offer significantly lower handling and interference noise, and an extremely low-loss signal transference through a conductor with capacitance optimized to hit the sweet spot for magnetic pickups. All this, and the 12’ cable comes in a super-cool blue insulation that’s super supple—easily lying flat and hugging the stage—with pearlized aluminum connectors at each end."

Ahem. Okay, it's a good cable. [cool]

Now you can also get longer cables if you're willing to spend even more:

Gibson Pure Instrument Cables - 18 Foot Cable - $91.99

Gibson Pure Instrument Cables - 25 Foot Cable - $114.99

Do I like the cable? Yes. I want to support Gibson in various ways and it is a very good quality cable. Will I buy more of them? No. Is all the hype in their marketing verbiage true? Mmmmm no. I have other brands of cables & honestly, if you're buying good quality cables - which I do - then no, you're not going to notice any difference. I would have preferred that they just say "hey everybody - these are really great cables" and leave it at that, but that alone will not command these kinds of prices. Although the "cable comes in a super-cool blue insulation that’s super supple—easily lying flat and hugging the stage" might cause enough excitement to throw down some serious coin. :blink:

Anyone else pick up any of these cables or am I alone in the wilderness? [huh]

I was given one when I picked up my DG335 at Gibson Memphis in February. It is Ok. I like the retracting end to prevent loud pops when plugging into your guitar but I do not like the bulky white plastic end at all.

Not worth the money at all compared to excellent brands on the market at half the price.

Huge connectors with an auto switch thing on one end, so no pop when you unplug the guitar end and the other side is still pulled in to your amp. The cable is huge enough that you could probably tow a small car with em.

Not inexpensive, but quite nicely engineered.

If you using a nice guitar, pedal board and amp, why not spring another 100 bucks a pop for a cable. It's like the next piece of the tone puzzle. You might be dropping 6-7 grand on stage on a Saturday night or more, before you even plug in, so what's another 100 bucks these days.

There not the only ones out there in the high end cable biz.. It's getting quite competitive, and has been for a while. I remember when Fender gave you a lil cable with there guitars. :D They were nothing like these new high enders.

What would Jimi use. :D

I have Lave EC cables on my pedal board, not inexpensive either.

EP-140929851.jpg

• 3 months later...

I do like these cables!

I have two 25 footers for running two amps at a distance and a 10 footer for connecting to some pedals. These cables pass signals loudly and clearly. I was surprised at the amount of db loss a generic cable can lose. Made that discovery by comparing the 10 footer to a basic cable that I'd just received as part of an order as a freebie. Plugged my LP straight into an amp, changed cables... very noticeable that the Gibson cable was several db's louder.

They were more costly but looked for the sales. I think they will last a very long time. I'll post durability results in 20 years. ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived