Gibson Brands Forums

Belated NGD: J-15

Jesse_Dylan

Been a long time coming since I've had this guitar for a couple months now! I love it!

Get ready for a ton of photos. I replaced the tuner knobs with keystone buttons. The tuners themselves are fantastic (Grover Rotomatic Minis, or as I like to call them, GROVER ROMANTICS). I also replaced the pickguard (that was quite the adventure), swapped the nut/saddle to bone, swapped the Baggs Element out for a Baggs Lyric, and put on a custom truss rod cover.

I got a great deal on it, new old stock, less than $1100 (I can't remember the exact figure) at E.M. Shorts Guitars in Wichita, KS (and I highly recommend them). I think perhaps the reason it was the "runt of the litter" is because its walnut back/sides are not as ornate and figured as many others. It could also be because it has some wonky fit/finish issues. However, it is absolutely as solid, sturdy, fantastic guitar, and I can tell you its staying in the shop was not because of how it sounds or plays. It's truly one of the best guitars I've ever played, very J-45 in vibe (or maybe J-50, rather) but still its own thing.

I noticed a difference in tone when I took the pickguard off and a difference yet again after putting the new one on. Not worse/better, just different. Could also have been entirely in my head.

And my final notice--When changing strings, I noticed they had colored ball ends. I guess it did not come with the stock Gibson 80/20! They must be D'Addario PB (EJ16?). I must say, I enjoyed them, and they broke in fast, so I may have to look into getting some for this guitar if not others.

And that's it! Thanks for reading, and enjoy the mess of photos.

2015-10-06%2016.19.16.jpg

2015-10-12%2016.27.15.jpg

2015-10-12%2016.27.09.jpg

2015-10-12%2016.25.32.jpg

2015-10-12%2016.25.36.jpg

2015-10-12%2016.25.46.jpg

2015-10-12%2016.25.55.jpg

2015-10-12%2016.24.53.jpg

2015-10-12%2016.23.30.jpg

2015-10-12%2016.23.17.jpg

It looks great, Jesse. I think you did a nice job with all the changes. Well done, man!

What do you bet that fifty years from now a bunch of guys on this forum will be looking at a picture of it trying to figure out what the heck it is?

I like the guard, but not so sure of the tuners. As BBG mentions Im a bit of a Natzi about having ovals, preferrably vintage or darkened on any Gibson slope, except the AJ.

But you got a great guitar, I think these J-15 are an amazing purchase.

I'd prefer white / cream button tuners.

The Aussie will back me up I'm sure.

But its a job well done no doubt

Crazy break angle at the saddle I've noticed. Is the action low Jesse ?

It looks great, Jesse. I think you did a nice job with all the changes. Well done, man!

What do you bet that fifty years from now a bunch of guys on this forum will be looking at a picture of it trying to figure out what the heck it is?

That's why I put J-15 on the truss rod cover, because I felt guilty for being confusing. :) That would be pretty fun, though. Maybe in 100 years. I think I'll still have it in 50.

The guitar is beautiful.

But I was more impressed that Jesse has copies of Shakespeare in his bookshelf.

Whodathunkit?

You should see the ones holding my computer monitor up...

Man who lays under car with tool in hand not necessarily mechanic

Nice job Jesse. I like what you've done.

Now , can we have a song or two ??

Sure! I actually went on a songwriting spree with it when it first arrived. For some reason it's just really approachable. I think I'll re-record them first, though.

I'd prefer white / cream button tuners.

The Aussie will back me up I'm sure.

But its a job well done no doubt

Crazy break angle at the saddle I've noticed. Is the action low Jesse ?

I was going for the 1970s look with the tuner buttons (and to be fair, the Mini "Romantics" are about the best tuners I've ever used, whether I like them or not). I do think that if I get an SJ and it has Grovers, I'll take the buttons off, put them on that, and then I'll either get Waverlies with the metal oval buttons or Schallers with the polybone buttons (I think they had one more white plastic type too) for the J-15.

And then I'll probably end up getting something different for the SJ, too--and what will become of the keystone buttons??? Orphaned.

The action is really low, yep. Even a hair lower would be too low. It certainly doesn't lack volume or anything, though. Did you mean like a steep break angle? My Hummingbird is about the same from what I can tell. I really ain't mechanical at all though, tis true!

Very nice!! The j-15's are beautiful. Watch out for the foam on that stand though. It might eat a nice big hole thru the finish on the neck and body.

Apparently this stand is okay, according to internet reviews. I've had my Martins on it for a few years and never noticed anything. No problems with the Gibsons, either. That would be sad!

I like the guard, but not so sure of the tuners. As BBG mentions Im a bit of a Natzi about having ovals, preferrably vintage or darkened on any Gibson slope, except the AJ.

But you got a great guitar, I think these J-15 are an amazing purchase.

I think they've been made with closed-back, kidney bean and keystone tuners longer now than they were with white ovals ;) I hear ya, though. I think that's the direction I'd go if I got tired of the current '70s motif :) I do think either metal oval buttons or polybone or something like that would look nice (and plus they'd be attached to Waverlies or Schaller Grand Tunes)--I am surprised how well these Grover Minis work, though, gotta say.

No shot of the endpin?

Jesse, you're a real slacker!

It actually is a pretty nice endpin, now that you mention :)

Nice job Jesse! I still don't care for the Rotomatics though, those big shiny washers always look wrong to me.

Now it would be nice if you also posted a few pictures. [tongue]

Yeah, I'm so used to the washers that I don't even notice. That's the way they've been since before I was born. Not sure I necessarily prefer them though, either...

Lots of J-15 stuff going on these days.

Yeah, it is my fault, directly or otherwise. I brought up one of my old threads about the pickguard, but someone else coincidentally brought back up a different J-15 thread. :P

Now that I have the J-15 I see the attention to detail Martin takes in there guitar priced the same as a J-15. It is still a great guitar for the money. I preferred it over the more expensive J-35 and J-45. Got my 2014 used for $950 and the back is out of this world.

My link

Wow!! yeah, I think that's why my J-15 stayed in the shop so long, if you compare the back on mine to yours. Yours is crazy!

Martin is really consistent when it comes to fit and finish. I think the J-15 has a leg or two up on what Martin has in the same price range, though. The 15M series is great, but it doesn't have a Dovetail neck (which may or may not be an issue--I do like the traditional dovetail that Gibson uses), and anything below their 15 series, such as the Dread. Jr., is not made in the USA. I'd say the J-15 competes with the D-18. The D-18 and 000-18 are also a truly fantastic value. Not sure what they normally sell for. Definitely not $1250, though. Is a D-18 worth more than a J-15? Yes, if that's what you want. If they were both the same price, I would have gone with the J-15, just because it was what I wanted.

Really cool, FZ. Love the back of your guitar. The grain on mine isn't that cool. Looks great, but the one on yours is kind of like the swirl you see in a lot of maple guitars. Awesome look. And don't you love the contrast between the dark walnut back and the light maple neck? Congrats my friend. You've got a real beauty......

If I had to choose between the D-15 and J-15 it would be the Martin all day long

Funny, because I gave my D-15M to my Son in Law after playing it for three years. Not a bad guitar, but just didn't really fit what I wanted. And I would say it definitely felt cheaper than my 2008 J-50 - but that may be unfair because the J-50 was a $2000 guitar and the D-15M was closer to $1000.

I noticed a difference in tone when I took the pickguard off and a difference yet again after putting the new one on. Not worse/better, just different. Could also have been entirely in my head.

Wish you had been a bit more scientific on this - tho I know it's hard. Opinions on whether it matters or not are miles apart, but I think my old J-45 got freer without.

Apart from that, a series of good modifications there. Now a highly personal, hyper cool street guitar ( if I may be that free). How about the pins, , , still white plast ?

Btw. like the retro wallpaper as well - beams back to between 1965 and 72. Any story there, JD. . .

Archived