Gibson Brands Forums

New 2016 Sg paint job

Sictransit

I just got a new Sg. The paint job around the neck joint right by the sides of the fret board is not very smooth. Is this common? Also the paint is chipped around the posts of the stop bar. Its a black sg and I can see red paint around the posts. I am debating on returning it.

these both a re "Common" not saying their cool, just saying, "yea, happens."

the un-smooth finish around the neck joint is probably what is called "orange peel", we'd have to see photos to say for sure.. but it's just one of those things that Gibson seems to slip on, lack of attention to detail usually.

the mess around the anchors for the stop bar seem to happen a lot lately too.

if she's a great player, you may look past it, but if it's bugging you, and you can do the exchange, it will give you peace of mind.

The paint chipping around the posts are common on white and ebony SGs from what I have heard. Interesting that you say you see red under the chipped paint. I wonder if they all start out as heritage cherry and they just paint over the ones that are supposed to be another color.

... Its a black sg and I can see red paint around the posts. ...

While the bumpy finish and chipping paint at the anchors may happen, but for a new guitar from Gibson that red paint sounds very odd/suspicious to me.

Where did you buy this new SG?

Remember, too...that Dealers (too often) have to try to sell what they get, as Gibson often

claims any "finish defect" is "within margins of acceptability!" However serious "orange peel,"

and/or deep sanding marks, under the color finish, or clear coat, SHOULD NOT be acceptable,

by anyone's standards. Least of all, their own! The best way, always, is simply not to

purchase any instrument that You're not 100% satisfied with, "acceptable margins," or not!

CB

Remember as excited as many of us are to play a guitar, to some it's just a factory job to build them.

Factory Friday, when your mind is on Miller Time and not so much polishing and buffing.

I work in a lab and, today for me at work, by noon it was factory Wednesday.

see if you can clean her up a bit.

I just got a new Sg. The paint job around the neck joint right by the sides of the fret board is not very smooth. Is this common? Also the paint is chipped around the posts of the stop bar. Its a black sg and I can see red paint around the posts. I am debating on returning it.

The red stuff around the posts could be residue from polish used for final buffing. Next to all of my Gibbies had it stock, in particular at serial number embossments and back cover heels. They obviously didn't take the time to remove it. After a certain period of letting the finish harden I removed the polish myself.

All of my Gibbies have a some kind of undulated finish surface around the neck heel. I'm fine with that because it tells there has been enough glue to fill the space between mortise and tenon, and fretboard and top as well. It is impossible to remove glue overlap from inner edges or inner radiuses completely. The very small amounts of glue left and dried there act as a sealer for the finish which causes the uneven surface.

Hope this helps.

Archived