Gibson Brands Forums

choice of Strings for my new CS-336

King Freddie

I played for many years An ES125TDC with very classical jazz and blues stuff, from Duke Ellington to BB King.

On my 125 I did the choice of DR Pure Blues 11-48 for the following reasons:

Pure nickel is less bright than nickel wound and the timber is just between jazz and blues ( not too saturated)

The gauge 11-48 with a plain third permits bending on G string, Is a little heavy for blues , a little light for jazz, and I liked this compromise.

So the temptation is great for me to start the choice of strings with the same package.

But of course choice is so great between brands , materials, gauges, , so maybe have you a better advise :

For instance , if i like round cores and pure nickel, the DR Pure Blues range is available from 9-42 to 12-52.

Ernie Ball has less flexible strings with hex cores in nickel and other materials.

The main reason of my choice for CS336 is because I liked the sound and the body size fits better my 68 years.

By advance many thanks for your advises.

Claude

It's totally a personal choice based on how and what you like to play, what you're playing into, how you like to sound and how you like them to feel.

But for my CS-356 I flip back and forth between DR Pure Blues 10-46s and D'Addario XL-10s (also 10-46) depending on local availability when I go shopping. The DR Pure Blues, as you've noticed, may be a little less bright which can be a very good thing on these small-bodied guitars.

I played for many years An ES125TDC with very classical jazz and blues stuff, from Duke Ellington to BB King.

On my 125 I did the choice of DR Pure Blues 11-48 for the following reasons:

Pure nickel is less bright than nickel wound and the timber is just between jazz and blues ( not too saturated)

The gauge 11-48 with a plain third permits bending on G string, Is a little heavy for blues , a little light for jazz, and I liked this compromise.

So the temptation is great for me to start the choice of strings with the same package.

But of course choice is so great between brands , materials, gauges, , so maybe have you a better advise :

For instance , if i like round cores and pure nickel, the DR Pure Blues range is available from 9-42 to 12-52.

Ernie Ball has less flexible strings with hex cores in nickel and other materials.

The main reason of my choice for CS336 is because I liked the sound and the body size fits better my 68 years.

By advance many thanks for your advises.

Claude

Hi Claude

I am an ES359 owner and I definitely recommend the 10-46 Gibson Vintage pure Nickels.

They sound amazing with classic 57 pups for blues with this growling sound clean or with overdrive,

and are perfect with a warm sound for Jazz on the Neck Pick up.

I did not like the factory fitted "Brit wire" too bright and for Jazz I have tried flat strings

it killed all the harmonics and beware=do not use gauges bigger than 10-46 they do not fit in the nut and bridge slots!!

Enjoy your CS336; ( and send us pics [thumbup]

I have an ES-339 that really sounds great with Thomastik-Infeld Steel/Nickel Flat wound Lights, .011-.047 (JS111) but I still prefer the 10-46 Gibson Vintage pure Nickels on it. Every couple of months I go to Just Strings web site and order a couple different sets to try but keep coming back to the Gibson vintage. The Thomastik's are pretty expensive but they seem to last so much longer than some other flat wounds.

I think my next to try will be the John Pearse® Acoustic/Electric Six String Guitar Nickel Wound Jazz Light, .011 - .050, 2600

Archived