Gibson Brands Forums

What size wrench for a 73 Johnny smith truss rod ?

Hi.

I need to adjust the truss rod on my Gibson 73 Johnny smith. I have tried an 8mm wrench, but that is too big. My friend said he had an imperial wrench, which we tried and it fitted, but he cant remember the size. Does anyone on here know ? Many thanks for any help and all the best, Jonathan [thumbup]

Many thanks fellas [thumbup]

I have seen a load of 5/16 truss rods on ebay but most of them say in brackets 8 mm. there are two that say in brackets 7.4 and 7.3 so ill try those. Its a shame as they are outside of the uk where I'm based but I guess at least they are cheap [smile] Just have to wait a while to find out if they fit. Thanks for the info though and ill let you know how I get on.

... there are two that say in brackets 7.4 and 7.3 so ill try those. ...

Be careful! They write lots of rubbish on the web. I even found an advertisement saying 8.7mm for a Gibson truss-rod wrench.

5/16" is equivalent to exactly 7.9375mm. The 8mm wrench supplied by Ibanez for their Gibraltar bridges works for my Gibsons as well as the Gibson 5/16" truss-rod nut tools do for the Ibanez Gibraltar.

Be careful! They write lots of rubbish on the web. I even found an advertisement saying 8.7mm for a Gibson truss-rod wrench.

5/16" is equivalent to exactly 7.9375mm. The 8mm wrench supplied by Ibanez for their Gibraltar bridges works for my Gibsons as well as the Gibson 5/16" truss-rod nut tools do for the Ibanez Gibraltar.

It's possible that his truss rod nut has been rounded off a bit over the years from people using an 8mm wrench instead of 5/16". It shouldn't be that hard to find a 5/16" wrench, even in the UK. It wasn't that long ago that the imperial system was the standard.

As has been pointed out, a regular mechanic's box end wrench may damage the recess due to its thick walls. They are pretty easy to grind down or file down to prevent this.

Archived