Gibson Brands Forums

How Old is Your Epiphone?

SDH91

Just wondering who else out there has an older Epiphone Acoustic? My PR 350 is 24 years old and sounds amazing. It has held up great over the years with no repairs needed. Besides the great sound, it also has some very nice finishes including chrome tuners and mother of pearl inlays on the fret board and head stock. I have been tempted to "upgrade" now that I can afford a more expensive acoustic but the few times I have gone to the local music store and played a Martin or Taylor, they just don't sound or feel any better than my Epi. Would to hear from some others.....

My dad's old Epi Masterbilt Zenith (that I absconded with after getting him a Gibby Les Paul) is 76 years old. I had it set up and some binding repaired, and it plays OK, but nothing like my newer all-wood Masterbilts, which are outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is a DR-100 in Sunburst which my wife bought for my birthday, this past July. Not exactly vintage but having said that , I'm amazed at the quality of both the build and sound of it. The only change that I did to it, was to install a new set of Graph-Tech Tusq bridge saddle pins. I find myself playing this one now more than my other 3 acoustics which include, a Fender CD60CE in Mahogany , FenderDG-60 , and a Mitchell MD-100 which has also been modded with Tusq bridge saddle pins and Fender Tuning pegs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DR212 that I bought in August of 2012 because I "needed" a 12 string but didn't want to spend $5-600 and this was a Guitar Mag "best buy". A year later bought a DR100 because everyone needs a "beater" guitar right? Then, last year, I bought a Masterbilt AJ500M. No need to look any further for anything else.

I have a 65 Texan Blonde

I have a 67 Texan Blonde

And a 64 Frontier.

I am on the fence about selling two of the three. To finance a J160E. I want to keep one Texan. But after I watch Frampton play his 64 or hear that cobains favorite guitar was a 62, not to metion Sir Paul's 64. I lean toward keeping them all. I saw Tom Petty playing a frontier on a BBC show and had to have one.

Decisions, Decisions.

Nothing sounds like an old Epiphone.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2005 EJ-200. Wonderful guitar I've owned for 5 years. It's black with a custom made pickgurad, the original was worn away when I got it. Also has the LR Baggs Element Active System. Sounds fabulous both acoustic and plugged in.

post-42899-057784900 1457715610_thumb.jpg

My 6832B acoustic was made in 1971, so it's 45 years old. One of the first Japanese Epi's - so I know it isn't worth much monetarily, but it was the first guitar I bought with my own money, and it has sentimental value. Still plays OK, to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have two Epiphones

1) '65 Texan (51 years!). My parents had it in their attic since before I was born. I started playing it when I was 12. My first guitar. My only guitar that is family.

2) '15 Epiphone Traditional Pro (1 year!). $300 new, and my 3rd Electric. Currently own two Electrics (other is a Yamaha Pacifica 112v strat copy, which I still have, and a Maestro by Gibson LP, which I sold for $50). I am falling in love with this guitar, too. My Texan has made me a life-long Epi fan, even if it was from a totally different era.

I own a bunch of old Epiphones - some of the oldest shown in the picture below, from left to right: 1932 Zenith, 1933 Olympic, 1931 Adelphi Mandolin, 1935 Blackstone, 1940 Triumph.

BTW I am working on a research project on pre-Gibson Epiphone instruments - see my website: "The Unofficial NY Epiphone Registry" - http://wiedler.ch/nyepireg/ .

There you find a lot of info on model/feature history, vintage catalogs for download, and more. Owners of Epiphone instruments from the years 1930-56 are welcome to submit instrument info to the registry database that currently includes >3000 instruments documented with serial number and photo. If you have any questions on vintage Epis I am happy to discuss and share what I know.

Thanks and best regards,

Felix

epi_family.jpg

I own a bunch of old Epiphones - some of the oldest shown in the picture below, from left to right: 1932 Zenith, 1933 Olympic, 1931 Adelphi Mandolin, 1935 Blackstone, 1940 Triumph.

BTW I am working on a research project on pre-Gibson Epiphone instruments - see my website: "The Unofficial NY Epiphone Registry" - http://wiedler.ch/nyepireg/ .

There you find a lot of info on model/feature history, vintage catalogs for download, and more. Owners of Epiphone instruments from the years 1930-56 are welcome to submit instrument info to the registry database that currently includes >3000 instruments documented with serial number and photo. If you have any questions on vintage Epis I am happy to discuss and share what I know.

Thanks and best regards,

Felix

epi_family.jpg

Good grief! What a resource- not to mention beautiful guitars et al. There's a treasure trove of information offered by you. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks and best regards,

Felix

epi_family.jpg

WOW! What a fantastic collection you have there. That Triumph is stunning! [love] [love] [love]

Archived