Gibson Brands Forums

The new Billy Gibbons ULTIMATE SG

Rabs

Whooa.. that is certainly different.....

BGSG_ProductBanner_zpsd8eyluui.jpg

BGUltimateSG_GroupShot_zpspo8ptfbl.jpg

BGSG_HorizontalGuitar_zpsvtjxqzfz.jpg

BGUltimateSG_ArtistsBar_zpsgmgkk6ii.jpg

http://www.gibson.com/Billy-Gibbons-Ultimate-SG.aspx

The Story the Ultimate SG And the Iconic Legend Behind It

As beautiful as the sun rising over the Texas desert, the new Gibson BGSG designed by none-other than the legendary Billy Gibbons sets a new “gold” standard for premium guitars. The instrument is part of an exclusive arrangement with Neiman Marcus, which will include the BGSG in its winter holiday catalog. So far only two of these BGSG beauties have been hand-built by the Gibson Custom Shop. The platform for the BGSG – shorthand for “Billy Gibbons SG” — is a classic 1961 SG, but there are radical differences. The most obvious is the guitar’s top, which is raised on its upper two-thirds with a curve just below the whammy bar that recalls the smooth lines of the classic cars that Gibbons is so found of — very much like the swell of a vintage Cadillac’s elegant tail fin. The golden lacquer is a classic auto paint shade and if you remove the vibrato arm’s cover to expose the heavy duty spring-works, it looks simply fantastic. The lacquer is applied to the guitar’s hollowed mahogany in the traditional way while the plating is done using the PVD (physical vapor deposition) method ensuring a scratch resistant finish and less tarnishing. The neck is mahogany, for excellent resonance, with a rosewood fingerboard and a rounded Gibson Flying V style headstock. It’s all decked with matching gold hardware, including the sideways vibrato arm. Under the hood, the BGSG is powered by a pair of Gibbon’s signature Seymour Pearly Gates humbucking pickups, of course. And the tone and volume controls are also distinctly Gibbons arrayed — lean to the bone. Two speed dials control the volume of each pickup, and there’s a third dial for tone. The elegant appointments don’t end with the guitar. Each hardshell case has been hand-painted by Nashville-based artist James Willis, a former artist-in-residence at the Gibson Custom Shop. His Texas themed work atop the cases includes the Alamo, the “yellow rose of Texas,” armadillos, a cow skull and a rendering of the guitar inside. And each BGSG comes with a certificate of authenticity that’s a brass plate with white etching in a leather binder. Like the man himself, the BGSG is first class all the way!

Billy Gibbons Designs His Ultimate SG

What do you get the guitar lover who very literally has everything? A new Billy Gibbons-designed ultra-rare Gibson Custom Shop SG — which Gibbons has dubbed the “BFG-61” — available exclusively through the upcoming Neiman Marcus winter holiday catalog will be the answer for two guitar aficionados this year.

How did you initially conceive of the BFG-61?

The BFG-61 came about following discovery in Paris of a mint example of the transition Les Paul produced in 1961. [At that point, these guitars sported the SG body style and electronics array, but still had the name “Les Paul” on their headstocks.] The feel of the instrument maintained power and balance and the sound was right. That ignited my resurgence in interest of the guitar’s glamorous appeal.

Why the sideways vibrato arm? It's such a seemingly esoteric touch.

The Gibson Vibrola, known by its other various nicknames, "sideways vibrato" or, simply, "the hydraulic," is an unusual feature that actually works nicely as a mild effect. This contemporary version provides an improved functionality without disturbing the intrigue of its authentic deco design.

How did your interest in vintage and hot-rodded gas burners influence the design and appointments for the guitar?

The color combination is purely entrenched in the hotrod and custom car phenomena from the ’50s and ’60s. The French carved contour across the top encouraged the enhancing effect of a two-tone finish. Add the mysterious visual of what lurks under the bonnet of the Vibrola cover and the dramatic appeal is complete.

Why an SG, verses a Les Paul, Explorer or other classic Gibson body platform?

The elegance and grace of the compound radius lines of the original guitar lent itself toward customizing and, at the same time, included features that are to be found on previous Gibson production models. Something old, something new.

Why the elegantly streamlined tone and volume controls?

As mentioned, a few previous Gibson production models made practical use of identifying the function of the control knobs. The straight-ahead assignment of one master tone control allows a personalized blend between the twin pickups found on the BFG-61. It’s another example of Gibson's "less-is-more" greatness.

This is the most important part:

THE INSTRUMENT IS PART OF AN EXCLUSIVE ARRANGEMENT WITH NEIMAN MARCUS, WHICH WILL INCLUDE THE BGSG IN ITS WINTER HOLIDAY CATALOG.

Finally, I can buy a Gibson SG, fine foot wear, and a down comforter in one place.

They made ten of these only, and I'm sure they will sell. I doubt though the buyers will play them with any regularity.

I wouldn't think so either Cap - and quite frankly nor would i blame them. These are definitely one for displays rather than stages. If they want to play an SG they can spend the $1500 on a regular one and avoid the dodgy Gibson vibrato system at the same time. [biggrin]

well the Reverend's guitars are usually 'different' - that's part of the appeal of course, and hey, at least there's no fur involved [laugh]

If you want a burst though, Gibson will happily sell you a Pearly Gates for less $$ - and very nice too.

Which describes most of the artist sig models. :rolleyes:

Well, there ARE a few, that are reasonably priced "artist's" models.

The "Captain Kirk Douglas" SG Custom was one, very reasonably priced

example.

Gibson does have an "interesting/unnerving" habit, of SILLY priced "Artist's"

models, I will admit. But, then doubling the price for the (new) "True Historic"

models, compared to the "Reissue" ("R") series...which were supposed to be

"historically accurate reissues," is another example of "Gilding the Lily,"

so to speak.

IMHO, as always.

CB

Well, there ARE a few, that are reasonably priced "artist's" models.

The "Captain Kirk Douglas" SG Custom was one, very reasonably priced

example.

Yep. Notice the word "most". I actually thought of your Captain Kirk - which is a great SG and does not cost a mint - before I wrote the word "all". [biggrin]

I'm glad someone out there has has an extra 30k out there burning a hole in there pocket.

If i was Henry I would have teamed up with Marshall and done special amp run too. May some has an extra 100k burning a hole in there pocket for the combo amps and guitar package.

Archived