Gibson Brands Forums

Heat Straightening Necks

Hello!

Master luthier Dan Erlewine uses a trick to solve this kind of issues. He removes the truss rod nut, oils the threads well. Installs the nut, turning it until the point it touches the washer. Then, He pulls or pushes the neck while tightening the truss rod nut.

I don't think heating the neck is good idea. Think of the neck joint, fretboard and the inlays. It might melt the glue used on these parts.

Cheers... Bence

interesting DE vid Bence,

the guy's a God.

but, in the OP case, where it's an acoustic,, if it's out of whack and perhaps has been out of whack for a while, there may be no other solution than heating the neck in a press.

when it's "needed" can work great. I had to have my nylon string neck worked on with a heat press. Since there's no truss rod (it's an Manuel Rodriquez A-Cut) there was no other way. the neck definitely was out of sorts. once it was heated, it set everything right again, it's not moved since, (this was a few years ago)

A local luthier I use has a steam press he uses for building guitars. He's straightened necks for me that did not have truss rods.

Would that be because it is the only need that you have had (non truss rod) or that is the only ones it will work on? Sorry to appear dense on the matter but it is a totally unlit area for me.

• 2 weeks later...

it's not wildly uncommon for a nylon string guitar to not have a truss rod.

many do, some do not. (as in the case of my A-Cut.)

electrics, and most steel string acoustics, should have a truss rod.

Before 1985 Martins did not use adjustable truss rods.

Archived