Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Les Paul Standard T??

iluvcrap2000

Are they gonna release a Regular Version? Don't know what the "T" Stands for? (Traditional?) Doesn't come with pickguard. Seems cheapo, as they downgraded some hardware. I like some of the 2015 features, like the titanium saddles, the removable pickguard and the bumpy pro speed knobs. But for 2016 they just backtracked two years and gave up on the good things.

And Since they released a whole mess of new guitars, why didn't they update the website with specs? Come on! I know you want to get rid of the old models but if your unwilling to promote your new stuff then why bother releasing them?

And use better Flame tops, the ones that I've perused over on several websites are rather poor. and Fire your painter as the bursts really suck.

There is going to be a second line up that they haven't properly announced yet.. And I agree they should have the info on their own site.. I mean they have been available for a short while now... Odd

But yes in this vid he confirms theres a second line called the High Performance line (HP series) and in all lightly hood they will have most if not all of the 2015 specs.. but we will see on that (and yes T does indeed stand for Traditional Specs)

The "T" is the "regular version" As Rabs said, the "T" stands for traditional specs (meaning a complete backtrack from the sweeping and non-traditionally spec'd 2015 lineup changes). And also as Rabs said, there is another more progressive lineup coming out in 2016 as well that will likely have a lot of the 2015ish stuff (hopefully not the ugly sig logo and hologram though).

As for the 2016 Standard... it does come with a pickguard... just not installed. It's in the case and can be installed optionally by the owner. The snap on pickguard from 2015 seems to have been dropped (or maybe it'll come back in the new HP line). Too bad because that was the one 2015 change I actually liked. Oh well....

But basically, the new "T" lineup is going back to how they made things in say, the 2011-12 timeframe. Gibson apparently learned their lesson after the disastrous 2015 sales and are just playing it safe and offering up this "T" lineup to traditionally-minded buyers looking for a normal, predictably spec'd LP (BTW, you can put me squarely in that category [thumbup])... and I thank them for doing so!!!!!!!!!

The "T" is the "regular version" As Rabs said, the "T" stands for traditional specs (meaning a complete backtrack from the sweeping and non-traditionally spec'd 2015 lineup changes). And also as Rabs said, there is another more progressive lineup coming out in 2016 as well that will likely have a lot of the 2015ish stuff (hopefully not the ugly sig logo and hologram though).

As for the 2016 Standard... it does come with a pickguard... just not installed. It's in the case and can be installed optionally by the owner. The snap on pickguard from 2015 seems to have been dropped (or maybe it'll come back in the new HP line). Too bad because that was the one 2015 change I actually liked. Oh well....

But basically, the new "T" lineup is going back to how they made things in say, the 2011-12 timeframe. Gibson apparently learned their lesson after the disastrous 2015 sales and are just playing it safe and offering up this "T" lineup to traditionally-minded buyers looking for a normal, predictably spec'd LP (BTW, you can put me squarely in that category [thumbup])... and I thank them for doing so!!!!!!!!!

Actually When I had mine(2016) It didn't come with the pickguard. Came with a extensive inspection checklist(The guy must have missed a few things and there were obvious flaws on it) and a picture. and thinking about it, Why bother with the "T" line any way as the "traditional model les pauls" would fit that wouldn't it? Seems like choice overload. too many models. and For the past three months I've been looking over the stocks of various places and think that they really don't make that many anyway, probably rotating less than 100 some odd guitars a month.

And they need Better Finishes/Tops! Bring Back KOA!

Rumor has it there's gonna be new Slash signatures in 2016. He was playing some very cool looking ones during his latest tour. They do have pickguard installed and Slash name on the headstock but they've dropped the skull logo...which is a good thing.

Wish they'd start already the ads on the Gibson page, wonder when will that start, Christmas is couple of months away.

Actually When I had mine(2016) It didn't come with the pickguard. Came with a extensive inspection checklist(The guy must have missed a few things and there were obvious flaws on it) and a picture. and thinking about it, Why bother with the "T" line any way as the "traditional model les pauls" would fit that wouldn't it? Seems like choice overload. too many models. and For the past three months I've been looking over the stocks of various places and think that they really don't make that many anyway, probably rotating less than 100 some odd guitars a month.

And they need Better Finishes/Tops! Bring Back KOA!

Oh yeah, I remember... you bought a 2016 Standard and had to return it because it wasn't the one in the pic on the website (or something like that, right?). And I do remember that yours didn't have the PG in the case. That was an probably an error by the retailer. Yeah, that was a bummer... sorry that happened to you.

The "T" in the lineup name is meant to differentiate it from the other 2016 lineup that they have coming out soon. As Rabs and I mentioned above... there's gonna be another model line coming out in 2016 that is going to be very progressive and have a lot of the, ahem, "innovations" that we saw them attempt to shove down everyone's throats in 2015. This HP or modern lineup will likely have very distinct and "non-traditional" aspects to them. Through the 2015 debacle Gibson has finally learned that there is, and always will be, a very significant group of buyers out there who are not interested in progressive and new takes on the LP... and want a traditionally spec'd LP (ie, normal neck width, regular nut and nut width, manual tuners, etc). So no, the "T" does not, nor is it meant to, specifically mean the Traditional model (as opposed to Standard or Studio, etc). It's meant represent the entire lineup of traditionally spec'd & built LPs... Standard, Trads, Studios, etc. in contradistinction to the upcoming non-traditionally spec'd HP lineup.

Anyway, it does seem you have developed a little bit of a grudge against the 2016 lineup... understandable considering your experience thus far. But I wouldn't be too quick to judge. The 2016 model year is just barely getting out of the gates... way too early to be condemning it outright. As for finishes... I have totally disagree with you... the finish on the 2016s I've seen (not just on websites but in person) have been spectacular!!! Here's my 2016 Trad... I have zero complaints with its finish... in fact, it's one of the best I've ever seen on an LP.

image_zpstro2wrkx.jpg

Did anyone notice that the 2016 standards serial numbers are in this format, 160024504? I noticed the studios, and Traditionals I looked at started with the year as the first two digits as well. Did they do this with the 15? or is this something new?

Did anyone notice that the 2016 standards serial numbers are in this format, 160024504? I noticed the studios, and Traditionals I looked at started with the year as the first two digits as well. Did they do this with the 15? or is this something new?

Actually, they changed the serial number format back in 2014...so this will be the 3rd year with this format.

Actually, they changed the serial number format back in 2014...so this will be the 3rd year with this format.

Looks like they stay with that now. They obviously stamp model years now instead of year and day of make. Thus the weekday is no longer traceable.

In 1994 they partly used 94NNNNNN for their centennial year but moved back to 9DDD5NNN in 1995.

Are they gonna release a Regular Version? Don't know what the "T" Stands for? (Traditional?) Doesn't come with pickguard. Seems cheapo, as they downgraded some hardware. I like some of the 2015 features, like the titanium saddles, the removable pickguard and the bumpy pro speed knobs. But for 2016 they just backtracked two years and gave up on the good things.

And Since they released a whole mess of new guitars, why didn't they update the website with specs? Come on! I know you want to get rid of the old models but if your unwilling to promote your new stuff then why bother releasing them?

And use better Flame tops, the ones that I've perused over on several websites are rather poor. and Fire your painter as the bursts really suck.

With all due respect, I totally disagree with you on all points (except the lack of promotion for the 2016's so far).

The 2016's look great thus far and certainly much better than the hideous 2015 models. The 2015 Gibson USA line was like taking a Steinway piano or Stradivarius violin and spraying them with a scrawled graffiti signature and adding automatic tuners! Bad idea! Sometimes going back means going forward [smile]

With all due respect, I totally disagree with you on all points (except the lack of promotion for the 2016's so far).

The 2016's look great thus far and certainly much better than the hideous 2015 models. The 2015 Gibson USA line was like taking a Steinway piano or Stradivarius violin and spraying them with a scrawled graffiti signature and adding automatic tuners! Bad idea! Sometimes going back means going forward [smile]

I think the tops of the 2015's are better than the 16's, I've seen about 3 dozen 16 tops and only about half a dozen pop out at me(at AAA) the other third are probably A at most, it's rather poor grading. the "HP" line seem to have AAAA tops but I Highly doubt that. on the website they have a figured maple cherry and others regular flamed. Looking at what's stocked at retailers, the range is highly variable, some are very off, there's very few that stand out. and the shading is not attractive at all, I like it blended, not with just a red or black border.

I think the tops of the 2015's are better than the 16's, I've seen about 3 dozen 16 tops and only about half a dozen pop out at me(at AAA) the other third are probably A at most, it's rather poor grading. the "HP" line seem to have AAAA tops but I Highly doubt that. on the website they have a figured maple cherry and others regular flamed. Looking at what's stocked at retailers, the range is highly variable, some are very off, there's very few that stand out. and the shading is not attractive at all, I like it blended, not with just a red or black border.

Where are these actually made? Are the components including body, neck and fingerboard shaped elsewhere with final assembly in the US? Are the pickups imported?

For a Gibson these look like a bargain.

Where are these actually made? Are the components including body, neck and fingerboard shaped elsewhere with final assembly in the US? Are the pickups imported?

For a Gibson these look like a bargain.

Made in Nashville, TN. Body, neck, fingerboard... all cut and shaped in Nashville, and all glued together and finished/painted in Nashville. Pickups are made in Nashville too. Just normal Gibson USA production here.

The reason these seem relatively reasonably priced is because Gibson went way off the reservation in 2015 with their huge 29% price increase over 2014. As a result of that big price increase and all the gimmicks they tried to force down people's throats in 2015, the 2015s didn't sell well and are now massively discounted. Seems Gibson learned their lesson and figured they might as well just price the 2016s more reasonably to get sales moving.

The 2016 T line is basically priced somewhere between the pricing of the 2012 & 2013 models. The 2016 HP line is a priced at few hundred dollars more to cover the cost of the higher grade tops, the GForce etuner, the separate tooling for the wider necks, etc.

Made in Nashville, TN. Body, neck, fingerboard... all cut and shaped in Nashville, and all glued together and finished/painted in Nashville. Pickups are made in Nashville too. Just normal Gibson USA production here.

The reason these seem relatively reasonably priced is because Gibson went way off the reservation in 2015 with their huge 29% price increase over 2014. As a result of that big price increase and all the gimmicks they tried to force down people's throats in 2015, the 2015s didn't sell well and are now massively discounted. Seems Gibson learned their lesson and figured they might as well just price the 2016s more reasonably to get sales moving.

The 2016 T line is basically priced somewhere between the pricing of the 2012 & 2013 models. The 2016 HP line is a priced at few hundred dollars more to cover the cost of the higher grade tops, the GForce etuner, the separate tooling for the wider necks, etc.

Thanks for the info on these.

Archived