Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a fake Gibson SG ?

Axel01

Greetings,

a friend of mine owns a Gibson SG white in a very bad shape (it was found in a house that burned out years ago).

The serial number (419608) at the headstock looks very strange to me and I was wondering if this is a real Gibson.

Can someone confirm if this a real Gibson ?

I attached some pictures.post-74533-050056900 1445502661_thumb.jpg,post-74533-076670000 1445502743_thumb.jpg, post-74533-043631700 1445502775_thumb.jpg, post-74533-044388500 1445502786_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Oh my God! [crying] She deserves an extensive restoration...

The Blue Book says "no entries" but I guess this could be due to rarity of the respective serial numbers. She looks like an uncommon model they may have called "SG Custom Deluxe" or the like. Custom would refer to the three pickups, Deluxe to them being mini humbuckers. The bridge says it was probably built in the late 1960's.

I never saw any of these. All the SGs featuring three mini-humbuckers I ever saw had the long-travel "harmonica" bridge, not the ABR-1 (OK, just its posts and screw nuts here...).

The original pickups would be very important in my opinion. They and their rings are hard to replace I think.

Any guess where to restore the guitar in Europe (close to Belgium) ?

I hope that after all what happened to this fine guitar you're in no hurry. Time may tell, and I'll let you know when I find something helpful.

You may also try the following:

awel is a forum member from Belgium and a rather active live player, so I guess he may have both knowledge and connections to knowledgeable mates. Perhaps he will chime in, or you may send him a personal message or e-mail. Here's his profile: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/user/26891-awel/

I hope that after all what happened to this fine guitar you're in no hurry. Time may tell, and I'll let you know when I find something helpful.

You may also try the following:

awel is a forum member from Belgium and a rather active live player, so I guess he may have both knowledge and connections to knowledgeable mates. Perhaps he will chime in, or you may send him a personal message or e-mail. Here's his profile: http://forum.gibson....ser/26891-awel/

Many thanks for your support, much appreciated !

There's no hurry at all. As you say, this guitar deserves a restoration.

I'll contact awel and see if he can help.

Many thanks again,

Archived