Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups on 64 SG Compared to Today?

oceantracks

I'm thinking of getting one of the new 2016 SG Standards with the spot tail. I think the price is amazingly good.

My first real guitar was a 1964 SG Standard (MAYBE it was 1965).....and what I am wondering is....what pickups today would be closest in sound to those of the 64-65 era SGS?

I've always liked 57 Classics and wonder if they would be most appropriate for that sound. Seems like pickups today are way hotter.

Thanks

Tom

I'm thinking of getting one of the new 2016 SG Standards with the spot tail. I think the price is amazingly good.

My first real guitar was a 1964 SG Standard (MAYBE it was 1965).....and what I am wondering is....what pickups today would be closest in sound to those of the 64-65 era SGS?

I've always liked 57 Classics and wonder if they would be most appropriate for that sound. Seems like pickups today are way hotter.

Thanks

Tom

To me, the '57 Classic's are the closest, to the old one's that Gibson currently produces. Burst Buckers would

be another good choice. But, ALL (4) of my SG's have '57's in them. I Love 'em, but other's may have differing

opinions. Duncan '59's may be an alternative, as well?

The one thing you may miss (or Not???) is the wider, deeper bevels, and horn tapering that were common, on the '64's.

'64's still had the small pickguard, and '65's had the batwing...though some early one's may have still had the small

one, as well. But, they all had the deeper/wider bevels and horn tapers. 2012-2015 SG's went back to the original 61-64

spec's, in that regard. The 2016, has the shallower beveling, and less to no horn tapering. Some, like me, love the

origianl early '60's spec's. Some, couldn't care less. So...whatever floats your boat, is cool! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

To me, the '57 Classic's are the closest, to the old one's that Gibson currently produces. Burst Buckers would

be another good choice. But, ALL (4) of my SG's have '57's in them. I Love 'em, but other's may have differing

opinions. Duncan '59's may be an alternative, as well?

The one thing you may miss (or Not???) is the wider, deeper bevels, and horn tapering that were common, on the '64's.

'64's still had the small pickguard, and '65's had the batwing...though some early one's may have still had the small

one, as well. But, they all had the deeper/wider bevels and horn tapers. 2012-2015 SG's went back to the original 61-64

spec's, in that regard. The 2016, has the shallower beveling, and less to no horn tapering. Some, like me, love the

origianl early '60's spec's. Some, couldn't care less. So...whatever floats your boat, is cool! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Thanks Much!

Yes I really like 57 Classics, I had a Les Paul Traditional with them at one point and it was the classic Gibson sound to my ears...the one I had grown up with.

I was surprised Gibson made a "real" guitar at this price level, so I think the new SG is a heck of a bargain. I played one at Sam Ash the other day though...a 2016...and I immediately thought "if I get this I'm putting 57 Classics in it" so that's probably what I will do.

Does anyone have any recommendations for locking tuners that will fit the 2016?

Thanks again

Several options: The Grover (and probably the Gotoh) will fit, without drilling, but you will have one hole left, about each

tuner. Won't effect anything, save "appearance," as they have locking washer/grommets, to secure the posts.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Guitar_and_Solid_Peghead/Grover_Original_Locking_Rotomatics_106_Series_3and3_Tuners.html

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Guitar_and_Solid_Peghead/Gotoh_Magnum_Lock_Trad_3and3_Tuners.html

Also, Gotoh makes, what looks like a direct fit locking (Kluson type, but single hole), but with small tuner buttons.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Guitar_and_Solid_Peghead/Gotoh_Locking_Vintage_Oval_Knob_6-In-Line_Tuners.html

And, if you want to retain a more original look (from the back, anyway [biggrin]) Tone Pro's also make what looks like a direct drop in (with the Kluson 2 hole spec) locking tuners, as well.

http://www.toneproskluson.com/tpkb3l-series-locking-tuners/

CB

Archived